Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Cheltenham JLT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jack1092 View Post
    He jumped more fences good than bad? agree with the other parts he's a quirky sort!
    He did but the first three were poor.

Comment

• Admittedly Yorkhill is mental, Ruby couldn't hold on to him when he got alongside other horses, this is a good sign, but he will need the best tactical ride off Ruby come the day, probably hold him up and scoot on clear just like the Neptune, assuming of course he stays up, though nothing to suggest he would fall, still hasn't in his career (except 1 PTP race, but not under rules) no matter how unorthodox he may look, and as pointed out on ATR he actually got in short to a couple and corrected himself which is a positive sign, all in all I certainly wouldn't be and am not worried.

Comment

• Purely a personal view that Yorkhill gets bored and loses concentration easily. The wayward behaviour only seems to happen when he's unchallenged. It will be Ruby's job to keep him interested because he is much the best horse in the field.

Comment

• Im surprised at the negativity about that gallop myself. Hes still very inexperienced and that showed for the first three, but after that he looked superb. A natural. And the faster they went the better he got.

Comment

• The only people defending that gallop have obviously backed him and are desperately looking through rose-tinted. It was a shocker and this in a stroll with just two other horses. He ran away even before they started. He is the most high profile screwball by a distance.

It isn't just a case of jumping round (and that is going to be difficult enough) because if he does hit the front there may be very little petrol left in the tank. He is by no means certain to see it out.

Comment

• kb. To suggest that people are rose tinted because they see it differently to you is a bit much.

He's a novice. Novices make novicey mistakes.

Comment

• Novices do make novicey mistakes but it is a different kettle of fish when said horse is a very short price favourite for the Festival and all he is doing is having a leisurely stroll with two other horses. To ignore that is seeing it through rose-tinted, there no other way of putting it. Forums should be about honest opinion, not just towing along with crowd.

Was it also a 'bit much' that I raised all the doubts before what happened yesterday?

Comment

• Im not ignoring anything though. I watched it through impartial eyes and I was impressed, in the context of what it was. Nothing more than a school to sharpen up his jumping. Ruby's face at the end spoke volumes.

Im not towing along with the crowd either, as the majority opinion seemed to be it was disappointing.

I said calling people rose tinted was a bit much... wasn't aware you had called people that previously.

Comment

• Originally posted by kinloch brae View Post
                    The only people defending that gallop have obviously backed him and are desperately looking through rose-tinted. It was a shocker and this in a stroll with just two other horses. He ran away even before they started. He is the most high profile screwball by a distance.

It isn't just a case of jumping round (and that is going to be difficult enough) because if he does hit the front there may be very little petrol left in the tank. He is by no means certain to see it out.
                    Hahaha that'll be me then, sitting here with my rose-tinted Oakley's wondering whether to lay off the 4/1 & 7/2 I have of Yorkhill because he can't jump, but in all honesty Willie let's him "do what he wants" because of his natural ability, and as he has been in the game a little bit longer than anyone on here I think I'll go with him and stick with my bets, woooooooosh!

I may well be sitting here red-faced come the third day opener, and FWIW I do think he is too short now!

Comment

• I can see this from both sides.

He did try to take off with Ruby before the gallop started, hung left at the first, dived at the second and wasn't fluent at the third. He did improve after though and was superb at the last two or three.

I think we'll know his fate after 4 fences. If he starts the race the way he finished the schooling session then I think he's pretty much unbeatable. I've been against him all season but his price is starting to tempt me.

Comment

• I think Mullins and Wylie have made a big mistake in not going for the Champion Hurdle with Yorkhill.Who is going to remember the JLT winner in years to come, providing he does win this race and if he dosent...big regrets a la Champion Hurdle.

Comment

• Originally posted by iainmcf View Post
                          I think Mullins and Wylie have made a big mistake in not going for the Champion Hurdle with Yorkhill.Who is going to remember the JLT winner in years to come, providing he does win this race and if he dosent...big regrets a la Champion Hurdle.
                          Think it depends how he wins it and what he does thereafter.

We all remember Vautour pretty fondly don't we? Yorkhill has achieved a comparable amount if you look at both horses at the same stage of their careers.

Comment

• Originally posted by iainmcf View Post
                            I think Mullins and Wylie have made a big mistake in not going for the Champion Hurdle with Yorkhill.Who is going to remember the JLT winner in years to come, providing he does win this race and if he dosent...big regrets a la Champion Hurdle.
                            I think the long term picture is stepping him up to go for the Gold Cup in season/s to come, clearly think a lot of him as a chaser. But like you I am shocked they don't go for the Champion hurdle, I personally would have diverted and would have resumed chasing next season giving him plenty of time to school in the close season. But their record as a stable and Willie with his decisions speaks for itself

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                              I can see this from both sides.

He did try to take off with Ruby before the gallop started, hung left at the first, dived at the second and wasn't fluent at the third. He did improve after though and was superb at the last two or three.

I think we'll know his fate after 4 fences. If he starts the race the way he finished the schooling session then I think he's pretty much unbeatable. I've been against him all season but his price is starting to tempt me.
                              Exactly that FM.

and the last of course

Comment

• If Yorkhill wins the JLT and they don't TRY and see if he is a Gold Cup horse next season then I'll think they've made a big mistake. (Or Champion Chaser for that matter!)

Chasers are better than hurdlers. Hurdlers are better than flat horses. That is just the way it is and the way it should be. More difficult, more impressive and more exciting.

Comment

Working...
                                X