Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Cheltenham JLT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• he travelled well but he will need to jump FAR better than that at Cheltenham. I'd like to see him run again before Cheltenham for more jumping experience. to be honest I was disappointed by that

Comment

• The jumping is worrying. Better left than right but still losing ground.
      As one of my potential biggest winners I'm a bit underwhelmed. I hope Ruby had A LOT left... another run maybe?

Comment

• When I do a few more folds and trebles etc. I wont be adding Yorkhill to many more I was disappointed with that every time I watched Ruby riding this season he seems to be making mistakes.

Comment

• the jumping left didn't even overly bother me. it was getting quite a few fences wrong. hit a few, brushed through a few. I defo want to see him get a bit more experience.

Comment

• I don't think another round of jumping will help straighten him out. Hangs and jumps to the left since Aintree last season. One to take on for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
              I don't think another round of jumping will help straighten him out. Hangs and jumps to the left since Aintree last season. One to take on for me.
              Unfortunately, I agree with that. The bigger prices I have don't seem as valuable as they did!

However, Buveur D'air who is next in the betting hasn't been that impressive over a fence either yet?

Comment

• The jumping was pretty unimpressive. I know he didn't beat much but making as many mistakes as he did and still winning comfortably on the bridle is a small positive to take.

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanh97 View Post
                  The jumping was pretty unimpressive. I know he didn't beat much but making as many mistakes as he did and still winning comfortably on the bridle is a small positive to take.
                  I'm not sure how comfortably he did win on the bridle. Ruby has a knack of not giving anything away. Hopefully Ruby gets interviewed soon and is bullish

Comment

• Concerning run that, well jumping. The horse just looks awkward at a lot of his fences. I'd certainly like to see another run before the festival in the hope it may improve his jumping slightly but I do echo the concerns experience may not solve this.

No doubt they's plenty of talent there and i'm sure he must be showing more at home, it seemed from the outside a tough decision to either stay over hurdles or go chasing. Surely he must have been jumping much better otherwise if his jumping had been like his first 2 runs I can't imagine they'd have gone chasing with the horse?! I know it's one thing jumping on the gallops and another in a race though.

No doubt he'll be tanking along and canter through the JLT but you have to worry he'll be losing lengths at every other jump at this stage. The race is certainly far from what the market perceives (7/4 vs 6's bar)

Mullins was saying today if ever there was a track and trip to suit the horse this would be it, needed to show more there for me

Comment

• As much as im defending him, 11/8 absolutely stinks

Comment

• Willie:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">'He takes a good grip' - Trainer Willie Mullins on Novice Chase winner Yorkhill <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RTERacing?src=hash">#RTERacing</a> <a href="https://t.co/sfITCJQC3a">pic.twitter.com/sfITCJQC3a</a></p>&mdash; RTÉ Sport (@RTEsport) <a href="https://twitter.com/RTEsport/status/823177052400459776">January 22, 2017</a></blockquote>
                        <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• Possibly be better with a lead though... seems odd that he settled him in behind and then went past them before the back straight? Can't have been the plan? Maybe they went too slow and his cruising speed would be more of a benefit at Cheltenham than it was today?

Comment

• Ruby:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&#39;It was a fair gallop...I was delighted with him&#39; - Ruby Walsh reflects on Yorkhill&#39;s win in the Coral.ie Novice Chase <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RTERacing?src=hash">#RTERacing</a> <a href="https://t.co/bjdoBIgTxY">pic.twitter.com/bjdoBIgTxY</a></p>&mdash; RTÉ Sport (@RTEsport) <a href="https://twitter.com/RTEsport/status/823178524676624385">January 22, 2017</a></blockquote>
                            <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• **double post oops**

Feel a lot better after those two interviews.... certainly a case of me hearing what I want to hear though...
                              Last edited by Kevloaf; 22 January 2017, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• Both seem pretty confident. Ruby reckons he had loads left in him. Willie expects experience to iron out the jumping.

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                                Possibly be better with a lead though... seems odd that he settled him in behind and then went past them before the back straight? Can't have been the plan? Maybe they went too slow and his cruising speed would be more of a benefit at Cheltenham than it was today?
                                Yeah I definitely think Ruby will look to cover him up in the race like he did in the Neptune last year. I wonder if other trainers will try and force a slow pace and try and make Ruby hit the front too soon? The second fav Buveur D'air tends to settle near the rear in his races too though and Whisper (3rd fav) tends to need the first half of his races to get a feel for his fences so i imagine at least those 2 will also be settled in behind

Comment

Working...
                                X