Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Thistlecrack on course....

COLIN TIZZARD could saddle as many as three runners in the Betfred Gold Cup at Cheltenham March, with the thrilling prospect of last season's stunning World Hurdle winner Thistlecrack heading a trio that also includes Cue Card and Native River.

However, news of the current wearer of the Gold Cup crown Don Cossack is less upbeat, with Gigginstown racing manager Eddie O'Leary saying on Thursday: "If I'm being honest, I doubt we'll make it." Trainer Gordon Elliott, though, is less pessimistic.

Thistlecrack is favourite in all lists for the RSA Chase at as short as 3-1, but is outright market leader at 6-1 with Ladbrokes and Sky Bet for the Gold Cup and that is his main target for the season, assuming he can prove himself over fences.

He is also favourite or co-favourite for a World Hurdle repeat after last season's defeat of Alpha Des Obeaux matched the highest figures of four-time winner Big Buck's with a Racing Post Rating of 178 and an official rating of 174. His chasing debut has been earmarked for Chepstow on October 8 in the race in which Cue Card made a successful chasing debut in 2011.

While Thistlecrack is clearly in fine shape, the beginning of the treacherous return journey to Cheltenham for Don Cossack has at least gone smoothly, according to Elliott, who confirmed the nine-year-old is back doing road work.

However, O'Leary, more pessimistic than optimistic about the nine-year-old returning to his best, said: "He has a long, long road ahead of him and, if I'm being honest, I doubt we'll make it. That's not to say everything has not gone smoothly so far - it has - but I'm a big believer in expecting the worst. That way you're pleasantly surprised if things work out,"

He added: "Don Cossack is doing road work at the moment, but he has a long way to go. If he doesn't make it back to the track this season then he will be retired. We'll not be persevering with him. He owes us nothing."

Just touching on the gigginstown situation with don Cossack, yes they won the gold cup but I thought they missed a trick in not running valseur lido last year, thought he was set for the trip, instead finished staying on well behind Vatour in the Ryan air, in what could be an open year with a lot more questions than form in the book, coneygree back from injury and staying fit, don Cossack the same, thistlecrack taking to fences, cue card another year older, will vatour ever get a chance.... 25/1 looks a nice price for valseur lido rather than those at the head of the market with questions to answer and single figure odds

Comment

Brilliant news I think regarding Thistlecrack. Watching him dominate the hurdle division would have some benefits but whether you fancy him or not for the big one, you surely can't deny it is making the GC potentially the most exciting race at the festival which is right about where it should be.

VL is shorter for the Ryanair than the Gold Cup which surprises me because as you eluded to, he looks a stayer. HE wasn't good enough for the Ryanair, Mullins wanted him to go for the GC anyway and without Don Cossack, ther O'Leary's need to fire at least one bullet. On his Irish run at Christmas where he came down at the last, you'd give him a shot!

Comment

I don't understand the RSA quotes for Thistlecrack, that's a race he won't run in surely, if fit he goes Gold Cup or World hurdle.
        The last 9yo winner of a novice event at the festival anyone ???

Comment

0% chance of lining up in the RSA. Trainer and owners have quoted that it is a novice campaign with a tilt at the GC and even if they hadn't said that, if his jumping doesn't cut it, they'll defend the World Hurdle. You can only lay it at 59/1 on Betfair so the bookies should just remove it from all the lists ... although if you're dumb enough to palce an ante post bet on Thistlecrack to win the RSA you deserve to lose your cash in my ever so humble opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
            .... although if you're dumb enough to palce an ante post bet on Thistlecrack to win the RSA you deserve to lose your cash in my ever so humble opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
              I don't understand the RSA quotes for Thistlecrack, that's a race he won't run in surely, if fit he goes Gold Cup or World hurdle.
              The last 9yo winner of a novice event at the festival anyone ???
              Miinnehoma ?

Comment

Originally posted by Morning Glory View Post
                Miinnehoma ?
                Could be a good shout that MG, I though Danish Flight in the Arkle but his win was a few years before Minnehoma's....

Comment

I've only backed two for this race and it will take a taking performance from one of the other contenders to sway my mind, going to stick to my guns this year with thistlecrack and coneygree, so excited for his return to the track, was at Sandown for his last run before injury and you couldn't help but be impressed in every department, didn't need to be at his best in the week field but just purely out jumped them without coming off the bridle, hopefully returns in the same form as the 2015 gold cup!!

Comment

Coneygree being in the race and back to its best would be fantastic for the Gold Cup. I haven't been a 'fan' as I was in the camp that thought the faster Coneygree went, the further Don Poli would beat him if he lined up in the RSA and when I was on Djakadam at 33 (or 25) I wasn't converted to be a Coneygree fan either as he held on after the last! However, not being a fan doesn't mean I don't respect how fantastic the horse is, as getting a true run event, with a genuine top class front-runner gives no excuses. I will once again be hoping he gets headed...

Comment

Two at big prices ive backed today are Minella Rocco 50/1 (the NH chase form could be the best of the novice races to take forward for the Gold Cup) and Zabana 50/1 (who is totally unexposed and could be anything, happy to chance hes good enough at the prices)

Comment

I do like Zabana... not a sexy profile though so might take a while to shorten up if this did become viable

Comment

Both horses interesting billmag. Given the record of RSA winners in gold cup I think Blaklion also overlooked.

Comment

Not any mention yet for cue card, anyone think he has value at 10/1, never been my type of horse but did feel sorry for connections last year, for me that was his chance....?

Comment

Cue Card always seems to be a bit forgotten, I would say 10s is fair, not value. Unless he goes unbeaten or a few pull out he won't be much shorter on the day surely? Enough 'trends' against him to keep his price where it is I'd guess.

Blacklion is hard to gauge for me. I thought it was a match and MOT and NMH both weren't on song that day as we know. I would be a bit upset if that novice form is up to scratch for this race?

Comment

Working...
                              X