Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Champion Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So after reading the Ricci blog, I am no clearer to the Annie v Faugheen answer regarding this race?
    It would appear AP was being trained for the Mares or World Hurdle last year I think and then stepped in when Faugheen got injured, Ricci says "suspect we will train her and Faugheen along the same lines we intended to last year and God willing if they are both fit and well in March we will have a decision to make. Hopefully she will be ready for the Morgiana or the Hattons Grace to start her season off, with Faugheen going to the one of those that she doesn’t"

Comment

• You got a link to that blog paz?
      I think she was trained for the mares... Mullins definitely ruled out the World Hurdle as it would have been too big a target with the prep she had, had.

Faugheen CH and Annie Mares would be the two easiest group 1s they could pick up with these 2 horses... can't rule it out, as disappointing as that would be.

Comment

• I love reading what connections say about their good horses and especially their targets but I can't imagine hearing anything from Ricci that will be worthwhile at this time of year.
        As we know he has form of misleading people right up to the festival itself so I'd treat nothing he says seriously.
        Great to have the engagement, but nothing useful can come from it and I'm certainly not going to hang my betting strategy around it....

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
          You got a link to that blog paz?
          I think she was trained for the mares... Mullins definitely ruled out the World Hurdle as it would have been too big a target with the prep she had, had.

Faugheen CH and Annie Mares would be the two easiest group 1s they could pick up with these 2 horses... can't rule it out, as disappointing as that would be.
          TheRoweboat has put the link in the ante post thread Kevloaf

Comment

• Yeh I saw it not long after
            QUite enjoyed it, if not as a betting guide but just ghood to hear about different and exciting horses!

Comment

• We can strike on Apples Jade after todays defeat.

Gordon Elliot just said on ATR – “She wont be winning any champion hurdles I can tell you that.”
              Also “She will be stepped up in trip.”
              “She looked slow.”

Mares hurdle? World hurdle?

Comment

• Yipee.... the RYANAIR World Hurdle it is then

Comment

• I'm confused with this one, she put up (for me) one of the best performances I've ever seen on a racecourse at Aintree yet couldn't win a weak 4 runner G2 today ?
                  Sometimes this game just leaves me scratching my head....

Comment

• I think that's an over reaction by GE to step her up in trip already. She certainly didn't look slow last season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                      I think that's an over reaction by GE to step her up in trip already. She certainly didn't look slow last season.
                      Don't you need a horse that stays more than 2 miles to win the CH anyway.... that is one of the most over-used sayings in the entire game.

After removing her from the best trainer around, I hope they don't ever win another race with her.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                        After removing her from the best trainer around, I hope they don't ever win another race with her.
                        That's harsh. Surely owners are within their rights to move horses wherever they want and it's great for racing that more of the top horses are spread across various trainers.

Comment

• I don;'t think its too harsh, they got 'there way' regarding targets all the time anyway so it shouldn't make a difference.

For money, they've moved horses away from the best trainer, which might mean the horses that have moved aren't as good as they could be... I don't think that is good for racing.

I just don't like the horse that much

Comment

• Bit late to the party on commenting on Apples Jade performance and agree with a lot of whats been said. Just one thing I wanted to add...

I'm always incredibly suspect of juveniles going into open company regardless of how well they looked in their 3/4yo season BUT you have to say something is not quite right with that run - the fact that it was a juvenile that beat her doesn't sit right with me. I get the feeling that Elliott is trying to make the most of this early spell of the season where Mullins is always very quiet and get as many runners out as possible to pick up wins/prize money to build up a lead. He knows soon there's going to a battalion of horses picking up winners for Mullins and knows he needs to make the most of this spell.

I can only think he rushed Apples Jade back (and Don Poli), both on ground they wouldn't have liked to try and get some quick wins. There's no way Mullins would have those kind of horses out this early and it clearly backfired for him.

Comment

• Kevin Blake made a point about Gordon Elliott saying (paraphrasing a little) he is a bit more 'risky' now, and where before he would take care of a horse for a season with a view to the future, he is more likely now to let them take chances earlier on.... with more firepower now, maybe thats a combination of factors that you have eluded to as well?

Comment

• No Annie or Faugheen this weekend, with Nichols Canyon looking like Mullins first string in the Morgiana... bruise for Faugheen and poor work from Annie

Comment

Working...
                                X