Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2016 Festival Losers to follow - pick five

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Festival Losers to follow - pick five

1. The New One

When they finally campaign him at 3 miles and Thistlecrack goes chasing.

2. Yanworth

Yorkhill is a good horse and Ruby got first run but think Yanworth is better than we saw last Wednesday. Alan King is 1/37 this month.

3. Battleford

Flagged up by Ben Pauling on the preview thread he ran a cracker in the Bumper and will be one of Mullins best novice hurdlers next term.

4.Lets Dance

Top of the pile for next years Mares Novice Hurdle after a credible 4th in a good renewal of the Triumph. Apples Jade also one to follow from that race.

5.Barters Hill

I only saw this after the race but it was reported on RacingUK that he pulled out stiff on Wednesday beforehand. He is better than this and one to follow whether chasing or filling the Thistlecrack void next season.

Sorry MG Id have the 2nd and 3rd from Champion Hurdle ahead of TNO.

Comment

Mr M

Good thread.
      I plan to watch the races again later today so I'll put my thoughts up then.

Barters Hill - heard he was lame for a week leading up to the race but declared fit a few days ago, the fact he had a setback so close to the race virtually ended all chance he had there and then, and I agree for him to get so close was just guts and determination, definitely one to stay onside with....

Comment

Valseur Lido when they go 3 miles, staying on very well in the Ryanair, should have run a day later

Comment

The two last flight fallers in the Fred Winter are worth following.
          I had my biggest pick up on the winner but not convinced I'd have finished in the first two if the others had stood up.
          Having seen the race again I think the Walsh horse, Voix du Reve, would probably have won with Geraghtys Campeodor second, I know they rate the winner quite highly so the other two must be worth following too....

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
            I had my biggest pick up on the winner but not convinced I'd have finished in the first two if the others had stood up.
            Having seen the race again I think the Walsh horse, Voix du Reve, would probably have won with Geraghtys Campeodor second, I know they rate the winner quite highly so the other two must be worth following too....
            Agreed - The Irish had upper hand in Triumph so probably had the better juveniles.

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
              Agree with those 2 Ista, though I don't think we will get any value with price next time out due to being so eye catching.

I agree with MMG on Valseur Lido, he looks a different animal over further and was in the wrong race.

Comment

In the Mares race Legacy Gold stayed on really well into third, 40/1 and rated just 130 she wasn't expected to set the world alight but I think she's be very interesting over 3m.

In the 4 miler Noble Endeavour could have gone very close, he jumped the third last big and had 10l to find on the leaders but he was back on the bridle about 4l down when he crumpled on landing at the second last.
                The winner stayed well but I just got the impression NE had plenty more in the tank.

In the Coral Cup it seemed that everyone (except me) was on Diamond King, but I had the runner up (Long House Hall) each way and think he's worth following. Harry Kelton found himself behind a wall of 4 approaching the last and wasn't able to galvanise his horse with any intent, he decided the only gap was inside and had 3l to make up, he made up half that distance and was running on very well at the line.
                He could be really unlucky and find himself 5lb worse off having not won a race but if the 'capper takes pity I'd be backing him on decent ground.

The Pertemps wasn't a kind race to If In Doubt, beaten less than a length he was stopped twice, carried across the width of Prestbury Park and appeared to lose his footing in a pothole approaching the last, he was a very unlcuky loser for me.
                He could appear anywhere over any obstacle but he is definitely in good order.

In the Kim Muir we saw an incredible performance from Cause of Clauses but Katie Walsh had a ton of horse under her when that pair came to grief 4 out, Top Wood will be winning staying races soon and should he get his preferred quick ground he could have a decent prize in him.

That's me done, I'll do Friday tomorrow !

Comment

1 - Shaneshill

Much like Valseur Lido in the Irish Gold Cup, Wylie's horse shaped like a real stayer in the RSA, albeit on better ground. No shame in losing a street fight to Blaklion, with plenty of decent horses in behind. Didn't jump perfectly and on another day, may well have won cosily. Real outsider in the Gold Cup market for me, and one of Mullins' better placed horses of the Festival.

2 - Battleford

Ran a great race in the Bumper, given a great ride by the jockey. Touched off by Ballyandy, but was coming back at him past the line. Those two look the standouts of an ordinary bunch. Spring bumper form worth following, but Battleford has the gears to quicken off a decent pace, but stay every inch of 2m at Cheltenham. May well be another spring horse, to my eye looks a standout for the 2017 Neptune.

3 - Yanworth

I won't hammer Geraghty more than he needs to, but he won't be watching the race back. Yorkhill's a very smart horse, but Yanworth looked to have similar, if not better, gears to Yorkhill. One of the few losing hotpots to do so with an enhanced reputation. Would be an interesting novice chaser, especially with the Champion Hurdle division looking white hot.

4 - Sizing John

Still a really good horse, just keeps running into monsters at Cheltenham. Would like to see him in the Ryanair next year, but should win a few nice races if De Bromhead goes pothunting with him. Likeable, can't see him ever winning a Grade 1 at the Festival, but plenty of nice races to be farmed with him.

5 - Apple's Jade

Beat plenty of fancied juveniles in the Triumph, with the favourite having to work plenty hard to get a head in front of her. Another horse with plenty of options, the Triumph form looks decent this year. Shouldn't be hard to beat the form of last year's race.

Comment

A couple I will be following are Kayf Blanco who was outpaced in the County Hurdle on Friday but stayed on again well to finish in 7th. He has a decent handicap in him, possibly at Aintree.

Another one was in the race before was Tommy Silver, he was also outpaced in the Triumph and will be winning again soon. Stayed on well also to finish in 7th.

Finally bumper horse Very Much So which I mentioned on here before the festival. Was his first run after about 18 months off the track and he finished 8th just one position behind heavily punted jolly Augusta Kate. David Mullins said afterwards, Augusta Kate stole his ground just as he was picking up and he had to check his run and couldn't get going again. Mullins didn't give him a hard time. Can see him being entered for Punchestown before going hurdling next season. Possibly a Neptune horse.

Comment

Good posts.

I havent bought myself around to watching the reruns. If in doubt was another that I thought at the time didnt have much luck.

Pacher du polder will probably be overbet without the cyclist but was another eyecatcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Morning Glory View Post
                        :
                        Pacher du polder will probably be overbet without the cyclist but was another eyecatcher.
                        Agreed, but I thought that horse would be ridden to finish above all else and I think that's how it panned out, as she became more confident she began thinking about her finishing position and not whether she would finish.
                        If Nina, Katy or Jamie Codd was on board it would have been a different outcome....

Comment

Originally posted by jonthehammer View Post
                          A couple I will be following are Kayf Blanco who was outpaced in the County Hurdle on Friday but stayed on again well to finish in 7th. He has a decent handicap in him, possibly at Aintree.

Another one was in the race before was Tommy Silver, he was also outpaced in the Triumph and will be winning again soon. Stayed on well also to finish in 7th.
                          Backed both of these myself Jon - Kayf Blanco has an entry for Haydock at the end of the week.

Comment

Champers on ice I be keen to see which chasing route the horse goes. Ran a great 3rd in the Albert Bartlett.

Comment

is Min too obvious ?

Comment

Working...
                              X