Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham 2017 Antepost Bets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/2 is probably very good value jono.
    Very progressive last year, guaranteed to go the banks route, many of his banks challengers are ageing/retired and probably the best banks horse in training.
    At 7/2 I'd be playing each way just case Enda has another up his sleeve we don't know about.

A few of us cam unstuck with the Josies/OTF double last year but I wouldn't talk anyone off a repeat investment....

Comment

• I'm couldn't bet Josies Orders at 7/2 this far out. Yes, he'll be targeting the race again next year but I'm sure he was available at that sort of price on the morning of the race this year. I'd much prefer to try and find an alternative and remember someone suggesting Quantitativeeasing for the 2017 renewal at 25/1. That's more my type of ante post bet when there's still 7 months to go.

Comment

• Could have been me FM, always been a fan of QE and still get cold sweats when thinking back to the 2015 race.
        Yes QE will target the race and 25/1 is a nice price but on all known form Josies is probably the better horse and having had just 5 banks races there is probably still some improvement there.
        Last years 7/2 on the day was built around the horses inexperience but he'll hit March's renewal with 7/8 banks runs to his name and if he wins the November race which is still a handicap (as far as I know) he'll be a very short price for the festival level weight contest

Comment

• I just don't see him being that much better than those that we currently know will be targeting the race, never mind those that we don't.

Comment

• Yeah the price on QE certainly is much more attractive this early. I've got exactly the same thought as Istabraq in how his price will end up as i'd be confident he'll win at least the level weights race in December and be right up there in the Nov handicap. The good thing with this race is I don't think it's a race that many look to get too involved in and hasn't got the fancy horses that grab the headlines so the price should hold until that November meeting. If all seems well with the horse, he's declared to run and a good run expected i'll likely be putting my bet for March on then before the race

Ah yes..I was on the JO, OTF and Ivanovich Gorbatov treble last year so feel the pain

Comment

• Been doing some digging for the novices and two names keep cropping up, Getabird from Willie Mullins yard, and Top ville Ben from Nicky Hendersons, anyone else know of these and what sort of races they'll be aimed at, from what I gather they are both very highly regarded, some have touted Top Ville Ben as Nickys supreme horse and we all know he loves to enter a few for the opener, wondering if getabird has the same plan for him or if he'd be a Neptune horse, either way they'd have to be special I think to beat last years crop of bumper horses now hurdling, what's your thoughts lads?

Comment

• Where did you read about the two novices gtj7756, cheers.

Comment

• No one particular article to be honest, just been hunting through the Goffs sale records and Getabird was purchased by Harold kirk for Mullins as the top lot at £200,000 after his good win in the largy, and now ricci has taken ownership of him, he may even be one for the future as from a good chasing family with J'y Vole (trained by Mullins) and Long run as we all know won the King George and gold cup, Top ville Ben I know less about, seems to just be a bit of a talking horse on social media Pages, won his only point to point in Ireland and sent straight to Hendos yard, thought to be seen a good hurdling prospect which is why I asked the guys on here if they've heard anything further

Comment

• Originally posted by paz247 View Post
                    Anybody think More of That will line up in Ryanair rather than Gold Cup?
                    Not for me? Owner more likely to want to go for the Gold Cup than the Ryanair and already got staying form at the course. Maybe more likely to win a Ryanair but I don't think that is enough of a change to sway them to go for the Vautour chase.

Comment

• JO started at 15/8 and at (56/8) 7/2 you're surely getting value. I think it ultimately depends on your own betting patterns as to whether you like that kind of bet.

The amended result is really difficult to take and despite not being around on these forums for the festival earlier this year, I was very much in the same boat, but with no-one to cry to!

Comment

• Jono - I also do similar with recording ante post bets and my own more postive results are when I've got on early when 'obvious' targets come out. E.g. Vautour straight after the King George, despite what they said, looked like a horse than wasn't thriving over the trip. The year after before UDS being targeted at the Arkle so assumed that Vautour would go for the JLT. Obviously plenty of losers too from my own "second guessing".

I also didn't back, but did follow Gary Nuttings ante post tips. I think he was 29 points down this year and I can't remember the year before, and they come out before the weights come out but when the entries come out... My thoughts on this are that if a professional tipster can't make a profit then I haven't got much chance, HOWEVER, it is a bit like pricewise in that he probably wouldn't want to bet on all those races that far out but is forced to make a selection.

Ante post is really difficult and I'd be interested if anyone knows they're in profit from doing it, certainly 6 months+ out like I am, but I accept I'll probably be down overall to be able to play the market on the day of the race. I don't mean by cashing out or laying anything but just by having multiple horses covered and if I came out of every race even, having had a bet in every race... I would be delighted that an entire week (plus YEAR build up) has been for "free". That is my loose thoughts on ante-post betting ...

Comment

• It also depends how far out your looking to do your ante post bet, take this year for example, me and I'm sure a few others on here got on ivanovich gorbatov and limini at a decent price from over a 4/6 weeks away from the fes, If memory serves me right I had Limini at 7/1 in several multiples and on her own for the mares novice hurdle straight after her win at fairyhouse in January and she went of around 8/11, likewise got ivanovich gorbatov at about 10's and after his disappointment before chelt he went off 9/2 on the day otherwise would have been even shorter, but between the two there you've beaten the bookies by about 13 points, which could be big depending on how your betting, biggest looser for me last year were the pair of bellshill and black hercules, backed them both off the boards from before Christmas, and both went on to race for different targets than presumed, couldn't believe it when they switched bellshill to the supreme, clearly needed more of a trip, and then black Hercules was taken out of the 4 miler and diverted to the JLT which he duly won

Comment

• I'm the same, I assume that i'll lose money on antepost and anything that comes in is a bonus. I've only been into horse racing for a short time (2012/2013 onwards) and been betting antepost for the last 3 seasons. The amount of bets have increased each year. The first 2 years I was slightly down, but last year was very fruitful and ended up being up for the year and being up for the 3 years in total.

Apart from the days throughout the season when I go to the racing, I will rarely ever have a bet. My betting is all all but geared towards and then during that one week in March. I take the view that i'll be down and have lost money but anything that comes in is a bonus and ideally if it can pay for the next years festival fund that is ideal. I'm sure many would consider my bets small stakes and as i do it throughout the year by the time March rolls round i don't really even count the lost bets as they were placed so long ago.

Regarding angles - another is to be on the ball for the open days/stable tours coming out in September/October. It's hard to find many trainers nailing down specific trips or targets but there's always horses where by the decision between sticking over hurdles or going chasing and this can have an effect on prices. Altior is one stand out for this at the moment. It's assumed he'll go over fences for the Arkle so his price for the Champion Hurdle is pretty generous at 8/1. If Henderson comes out and says they've decided to stick over hurdles that'll be slashed straight away so if you can get on as soon as the news breaks you may beat the bookies updating the price.

Comment

• Originally posted by gjt7756 View Post
                              No one particular article to be honest, just been hunting through the Goffs sale records and Getabird was purchased by Harold kirk for Mullins as the top lot at £200,000 after his good win in the largy, and now ricci has taken ownership of him, he may even be one for the future as from a good chasing family with J'y Vole (trained by Mullins) and Long run as we all know won the King George and gold cup, Top ville Ben I know less about, seems to just be a bit of a talking horse on social media Pages, won his only point to point in Ireland and sent straight to Hendos yard, thought to be seen a good hurdling prospect which is why I asked the guys on here if they've heard anything further
                              good info

top ville ben p2p http://www.p2p.ie/horses.php?ajactio..._of_birth=2012

Comment

• Got my 25% bonus from 365 so in again on these

Jezki World Hurdle 2017
                                (Win And Each Way) 16/03/2017 3 Places
                                1/4 Odds 14/1 To Run
                                Garde La Victoire Ryanair Chase 2017
                                (Win And Each Way) 16/03/2017 3 Places
                                1/4 Odds 33/1 To Run
                                Buveur D'air JLT Novices' Chase 2017
                                (Win And Each Way) 17/03/2017 3 Places
                                1/4 Odds 14/1 To Run
                                Unowhatimeanharry National Hunt Chase 2017