Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2015 RSA Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gritty Poli

The all-conquering Willie Mullins enjoyed his fifth success of the 2015 Festival when Don Poli ran out an impressive winner of the RSA Chase.

"I'm just enjoying everything going on and marvelling at my week. I'm not thinking about what will happen," said Mullins.

"It was a terrific performance by Don Poli. He idled a lot of the way when he got to the front and he realised he was in a race, he just switched on, switched off, switched on. Bryan (Cooper) was worried about getting to the front too soon in the parade ring before the race and I thought: 'If you can get to the front around Cheltenham, you hold on. This fellow will have a lot of reserves in the locker'. He has all the ability in the world but long distance runners have to keep a bit back for themselves. It's harder on the jockeys, but that's their problem.

"He had far more reserves in the locker than I thought he would have. His two ears are moving back and forward and, when a horse is doing that, he is only idling - he's going at half-speed and is ready for anything that comes from behind. He's not even racing coming up the straight, he is only galloping, looking around. It's a sure sign that he has got lots left in the locker. Florida Pearl was probably the best RSA winner that I have ever had and this fellow looks as good as him although they are different types.

"If we take the RSA as the meeting of the best novices in the British Isles - Ireland, England, wherever - and he has destroyed them. The only road he can go is the Gold Cup. I'd imagine he'll go to Punchestown next but he looks a Gold Cup horse in the making."

Roly-Poli fortunes for Cooper

Twelve months to the day since suffering a very badly broken leg, jockey Bryan Cooper experienced a far happier moment at The Cheltenham Festival.

Riding Don Poli for the near-invincible trainer Willie Mullins, Cooper landed the RSA Chase, his mount beating Southfield Theatre and Wounded Warrior by six lengths and one and a half lengths. The first and third are owned by Michael O'Leary's Gigginstown House Stud.

Don Poli had to be niggled by Cooper more or less throughout the race, yet he jumped the last with ears pricked and won cosily. The jockey said: "He was very good - he wouldn't be called 'exciting' early on in the race because he's quite lazy, but he won with plenty left up his sleeve and could have gone around again.

"He stays so well and might have won the four-miler if he'd run in that, but he's a lovely horse and going the right way. It's only his third race over fences so he's a horse to look forward to next season.

"I'm glad to put that [the broken leg] behind and it's sweet to get a winner on the board."

Michael O'Leary said: "He always seemed to be comfortable. He had to be pushed along for a bit down the back but he's a bit like that as he's very lazy and had to be woken up. If anything, he ended up in front a bit too soon but Bryan gave him a peach of a ride and it's another outstanding training performance from Willie. The man's a genius.

"I wasn't worried about his experience. He's had plenty of jumping in France and it helped that there was a slightly smaller field. I thought Wounded Warrior ran really well for Noel [Meade - trainer]. It's very nice not to have to wait until Friday for your first winner of The Festival [O'Leary had four winners on Gold Cup day last year].

"I wouldn't be dreaming of anything yet. I'll enjoy today, there's no point in planning for next year. I had Sir Des Champs here before and looked what happened to him, he did a leg, so I'll enjoy the wins at Cheltenham as they're incredibly difficult to come by unless you're Willie Mullins or J P [McManus]. Next year can look after itself."

Twiston-Davies happy with Southfield effort

Sam Twiston-Davies praised the run of Southfield Theatre after he came a creditable second in the RSA Chase to runaway winner Don Poli. Southfield Theatre stayed close to the pace jumping fluently throughout before making his challenge on the home turn. A costly blunder at the final fence blighted the horse's momentum, but he stayed on gamely to finish second. The jockey explained that Southfield Theatre did not come back into the winner's enclosure because: "He pulled the skin off the back of his leg, hopefully it's nothing too bad."

The jockey added about the Paul Nicholls-trained seven-year-old: "He's probably bumped into a very good horse. His mistake at the final fence wouldn't have helped him but he has run a solid race."

Paul Carberry was pleased with the run of third-placed Wounded Warrior trained by Noel Meade. The six-year-old stayed on well to snatch third late on. Carberry said: "He has stayed on well, we went a nice gallop, when we went away from the stands on the final circuit, the leaders picked it up again. He was staying on strongly at the end and jumped really well which was a big help."

As for the future, Carberry suggested: "He's probably an Irish National type of a horse."

2.05pm RSA Chase (Grade 1)
    £150,000 total prize fund. For 5yo+, 3m 110y. Weights: 5yo 11st 2lb; 6yo+ 11st 4lb. Allowances mares 7lb. Penalty value 1st £85,425.00 2nd £32,055.00 3rd £16,050.00 4th £7,995.00 5th £4,020.00 6th £2,010.00

1) DON POLI (IRE) (Gigginstown House Stud) Willie Mullins IRE 6-11-04 Bryan Cooper 13/8f
    2) SOUTHFIELD THEATRE (IRE) (Angela Yeoman) Paul Nicholls 7-11-04 Sam Twiston-Davies 13/2
    3) WOUNDED WARRIOR (IRE) (Gigginstown House Stud) Noel Meade IRE 6-11-04 Paul Carberry 12/1
    4) ADRIANA DES MOTTES (FR) (Susannah Ricci) Willie Mullins IRE 5-10-09 Ruby Walsh
    5) IF IN DOUBT (IRE) (J P McManus) Philip Hobbs 7-11-04 A P McCoy
    6) KINGS PALACE (IRE) (Drew, George & Johnson Family) David Pipe t7-11-04 Tom Scudamore
    7) THE YOUNG MASTER (Dajam Ltd) Neil Mulholland p6-11-04 Barry Geraghty
    PU) APACHE JACK (IRE) (Pat Sloan) Sandra Hughes IRE p7-11-04 Davy Condon

8 ran
    Non-runner: The Ould Lad (going)
    Distances: 6, 1½, hd, ½, 16, 29
    Breeder: Brian J Griffiths And John Nicholson
    Breeding: b g Poliglote - Dalamine (FR) (Sillery (USA))
    Tote Win £2.30 Place £1.20 £1.90 £3.50 Exacta £11.80

Winning Trainer: WILLIE MULLINS Date of Birth: 15/9/56 Based: Closutton, Bagenalstown, Co Carlow Background: Willie Mullins was six-times amateur champion rider in Ireland and his major successes in the saddle included the 1983 John Smith's Fox Hunters' Chase at Aintree on Atha Cliath, before taking out a training licence in 1988. He hails from one of Ireland's most famous racing families, being a son of Paddy Mullins, the now retired outstanding all-round trainer, whose most famous star was Dawn Run, winner of the 1984 Champion Hurdle and Cheltenham Gold Cup two years later. Willie Mullins rode and trained Wither Or Which to win the 1996 Weatherbys Champion Bumper. Mullins has over 100 horses at his Closutton yard near Bagenalstown in Co Carlow. He was crowned both Champion and Leading Trainer in Ireland for the first time in the 2007/08 season and has retained the title since. Cheltenham Festival wins (38): Vincent O'Brien County Hurdle (2010 Thousand Stars, 2011 Final Approach), OLBG Mares Hurdle (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 Quevega, 2015 Glens Melody), Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle (2008 Fiveforthree, 2009 Mikael D'Haguenet, 2014 Faugheen), Sky Bet Supreme Novices' Hurdle (1995 Tourist Attraction, 2007 Ebaziyan, 2013 Champagne Fever, 2014 Vautour, 2015 Douvan), RSA Chase (1998 Florida Pearl, 2004 Rule Supreme, 2009 Cooldine, 2015 Don Poli), Weatherbys Champion Bumper (1996 Wither Or Which, 1997 Florida Pearl, 1998 Alexander Banquet, 2000 Joe Cullen, 2005 Missed That, 2008 Cousin Vinny, 2012 Champagne Fever, 2013 Briar Hill), JCB Triumph Hurdle (2002 Scolardy), Stan James Champion Hurdle (2011 & 2013 Hurricane Fly, 2015 Faugheen), Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys' Handicap Hurdle (2011 Sir Des Champs, 2014 Don Poli), JLT Novices' Chase (2012 Sir Des Champs), National Hunt Chase (2013 Back In Focus), Racing Post Arkle (2015 Un De Sceaux) Number of Winners in Britain (2001/02-2013/14): 4; 1; 1; 2; 0; 1; 2; 3; 2; 4; 5; 6; 11 Wins in Britain this season: 12 Fifth winner of The Festival

Winning Jockey: Bryan Cooper Born: August 8, 1992 Background: Tralee jockey whose father is Farmer's Bridge-based trainer Tom Cooper. Rode on the pony racing circuit and was apprenticed on the Flat to Kevin Prendergast. First jockey to the late Dessie Hughes and then appointed first jockey to Gigginstown House Stud in January, 2014. First Winner in Britain: Action Master, Pertemps Network Handicap Hurdle, Cheltenham, October 19, 2012 Aintree Festival Wins: John Smith's Maghull Novices' Chase (2013 Special Tiara) Cheltenham Festival Wins (4): JLT Novices' Chase (2013 Benefficient), JCB Triumph Hurdle (2013 Our Conor), Vincent O'Brien County Hurdle (2013 Ted Veale), RSA Chase (2015 Don Poli) Wins in Britain this season: 2

Comment

Working...
    X