Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2014 Neptune Investment Management Novices Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 16s about Faugheen with Ladbrokes looks like a rick....or do they know something

Comment

Diamond King made all to win the Download The All New freebets.co.uk 'National Hunt' Novices' Hurdle at Doncaster.

Donald McCain's charge was sent off the 2/5 favourite and those odds always looked like being landed as Jason Maguire took control of the contest from the off.

The pair didn't see another rival, but it wasn't an easy success, the six-year-old having to be kept up to his work to beat Uppingham by three and three quarter lengths.

Themanfrom Minella (4/1) was a further five lengths back in third.

Donald McCain said: "He's a smashing horse and we think the world of him. He was good today, he stepped into the last at Bangor and did well to stay up but it wasn't the best day.

"I think we could go two and a half miles but he's enjoyed the better ground today."

Sky Bet left Diamond King unchanged at 33/1 for the and spokesman Michael Shinners said: "Diamond King got back on the winning trail today without enhancing his Sky Bet Supreme Novices' Hurdle credentials.

"We will learn more about him when he's stepped up in grade, perhaps in the Sky Bet Supreme Trial at Haydock on January 18."

Comment

Originally posted by Rhinestone Cowboy View Post
        The 16s about Faugheen with Ladbrokes looks like a rick....or do they know something
        Good call Rhinestone best price of 6s now. If the money talks then it is Faugheen for the Neptune and Briar Hill to the Bertie Bartlett. Looks like skippy called that right and Mayo in the poor house

Comment

I think the Neptune is shaping up to be a better race than the Supreme. Faugheen looks the most likely winner but might still run in 3 mile novice ?

compare his campaign to briar hill's

Faugheen

Briar Hill

Comment

^ yea but visually Faugheen looks the one with more toe.

Comment

I think Faugheen will go for the Neptune. I think the Neptune has become very valuable to trainers the last few years and with horses like Peddlars Cross, Simonsig, First Lieutenant, The New One etc going that way it shows that good horses are going down this route. I think also it's more "fashionable" to win this one too and I think Mullins would rather Faugheen win this one even if he was to step up in trip in time. shaping up to be a great race though as the Tullow Tank might end up here but I hope not as he's my Supreme Hurdle winner!!

Comment

I see now . I have a bit on Faugheen in this and Briar Hill in 3 miler but mainly loaded the other way. Also have some fancy prices on Tullow Tank for the Supreme so hope he runs there. Agree with yeehaa about this race - could be one of the best at the festival.

Comment

Also part of De Bromhead's Festival team is Shanahan's Turn, who made a big impression when scoring over hurdles at the second time of asking at Leopardstown's Christmas Festival.

The Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle is on his radar.

"He's a nice horse and I think we'll probably give him an entry in the Neptune," said the County Waterford handler.

"He's a light-framed horse, so I think we'll also go straight there (to Cheltenham) with him and have him nice and fresh. It will obviously be a big step up, but we'll give it a go."

Comment

Nobody was more pleased than Nicky Henderson, in the end, that the Tolworth was saved. Royal Boy knuckled down to see off Josses Hill for a Seven Barrows one-two, and the pair were 11 lengths clear of the rest for good measure. Royal Boy, whose connections aborted a novice chasing campaign following a disappointing fencing debut at Kempton, was put up 11lb in the hurdle ratings by the handicapper and is now rated 149. Considering how he's been previously campaigned, how stamina won the race for him at the weekend and what Henderson said afterwards, the Neptune looks the race for him at the Festival. The New One was rated 155 after his Neptune win last year and there are a handful of horses in the high 140s, including Royal Boy, who will go into the race with fairly solid claims. The Tullow Tank, also rated 149, is another (unless he goes for the Sky Bet Supreme), as is Royal Boy's stablemate, Challow Hurdle victor Captain Cutter (147). Deputy Dan, too, who won at Warwick on Saturday, is now rated 145 but you might conclude that he'll need the mud to be flying. However, Faugheen really could be a cut above them all. He thrashed Josses Hill by 22 lengths in his Punchestown bumper and the 5/1 about him is beginning to disappear. It's understandable.

Comment

I see Faugheen was taken out of this Sunday's race and will now probably go for the Deloitte over 2m 2f. Do you guys think thats a deliberate attempt to get him in a faster run race to test his jumping as he hasn't hurdled completely fluently so far? Might be that they want to sort that before the festival even if it means him getting beat by someone like The Tullow Tank.

Comment

Think they might be looking at the mashing he gave Josses Hill and thinking Supreme is the way to go

Nice race at Cheltenham tomorrow - the same one the new one lost out to at fishers cross in last year.

Rathviinden - so long as he gets round will give willie a good marker against his other novices.

Fancy red Sherlock tomorrow fwiw.

Comment

Barry G

First is RATHVINDEN (3.00) in what looks a tough Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle trial.

But this lad looks as good a chance as I’ve got during the afternoon.

I know Aubusson was good winning at Cheltenham on New Year’s Day and that Red Sherlock and Madness Light bring plenty of potential to the table but it’s quite possible that Rathvinden should be unbeaten in his four runs over hurdles having won the first three.

Having had a look at his last run in the two mile five furlong Grade 2 at Warwick last time he was travelling really well when he came down three out.

I know that was a long way from the finish but he looked class to me and I’d be more than hopeful that – even though his three wins have been over two miles – this is the sort of distance that is going to play to his strengths. And his wins have been when there’s plenty of give underfoot so conditions shouldn’t be a problem.

Comment

Great run from rathvinden and red sherlock yesterday pulled well clear of the rest, thought red sherlock won with a bit in hand though. One thing mind, he does not seem to like the whip at all was flashing his tail every time tom scu smacked him so it was a hands and heels job up the hill. Happy with the 24/1 i took on him last month though as i think the neptune is his only target. Faugheen could well just blitz them all though.

Comment

I like Red Sherlock - had him on my first blog

Presume Timmy will be back on him for festival and might even suit him better. Mullins will know exactly where he is on this one through Rathvinden. Noticed yesterday 3 Albert Bartlett winners came out of that race. Witchita, Bobs W and At Fishers Cross. TNO and Rock on Ruby runners up in too soo Rathvinden one to keep in notebook imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X