• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

2016 Festival Losers to follow - pick five

  • Thread starter Thread starter Morning Glory
  • Start date Start date
I will definitely be following the one I backed Long House Hall who came second to Diamond King in the Coral. He got stuck behind the front wall of horses and had to switch after DK already got the run on him in the inside, then finshed strongly to take second comfortably. He would have had a chance if the jockey gave him a better chance.

It wouldn't surprise me if he turned up at Aintree in a couple of weeks time. The 3 mile handicap on day 1 could be perfect.
 
I know this is old but I will enjoy doing it anyway:

1. Garde La Victoire - Fell when too early to tell how it would have faired, but was punted and tipped all over the place and at 33/1 could be a big price for the Ryanair

2. Don Poli - I will follow this horse, because I love it. I hope they aim it at the national because it'll be the first bet I place on that lottery that I am sure I will have had a cracking bet on. I think he needs to be ridden, and forced, into being just behind the pace setters and although he might not be 'good enough' for a Gold Cup, he wouldn't be the first horse to win it that wasn't ALL CLASS. I also think he will ALWAYS place too.

3. Barters Hill - Really obvious in my opinion and I'll be gutted if this horse doesn't turn in to a top notcher. What an attitude, what a desire and I will follow this off a cliff. They've always said he'd make a better chaser and I am hoping the huge drift a couple of days before the festival, explains why he couldn't get the job done!

4. Fagan - No credit for this one, as someone else highlighted it, but looking back he stays on impressively to place in the Albert Bartlett and if he is aimed at the staying chases I think he'll get his head in front.

5. Min and Yanworth - I am putting them both together and that is because they are both obvious and both potentially just got beaten by a really good one!

I enjoyed that.
 
The Polinator is already my national horse Kev - he's the last leg of an acca to win 5 figures. Looks absolutely made for the national to me.

I wouldn't rule him out of a Gold Cup either and current odds look a touch on the big side. The ride that Davy game him in this year's Gold Cup was poor imo and a more positive ride this season would see him in better light.
 
Yeh I think that was proven when Cooper got on board at Aintree... only placed but over shorter ...

I don't want to go ante-post on the National when Cheltenham is before it, but I haven't felt as strongly about a horses chances since Quevega was lining up at the festival :p
 
First post - have loved checking over these posts the last few weeks. Not long until the real racing begins again and this is getting me through the wait :)

I'm also a huge fan of Don Poli. I was all over him for the Gold Cup this year and glad to see others haven't given up on him yet either! Still think the ride Davy gave him in the Gold Cup was dire. Coopers ride next up at Aintree shows he needs to be ridden up near the pace and constantly niggled away. I was really worried Cooper wasn't onboard as I just feel like he's a horse you need to know inside out as he'll easily fool you otherwise. I'm not sure he's either really got on at Punchestown so his final outing race was a solid run placing again (agree with Kevloaf re he'll ALWAYS place).

One would imagine he'll be going all out for the British trainers title this year so i'm sure he'll be trying to aim a good one for the race and no horse looks better suited to the attritional test. I'd never usually get involved antepost for the national but this horse i'll make an exception for and just waiting for Mullins to mention that could be the plan come October time/stable tours.
 
Be wary with ante post National bets, the mark required to get in the race is getting ridiculous.
The 2015 4th, Alvarado, couldn't get a run in the 2016 renewal and the 2015 runner up, Saint Are, sneaked in at number 40 or very close to 40.
Crazy that a horse who finished less the 2 lengths behind the winner struggled to qualify the following year.

I had Perfect Candidate to pay off the mortgage last year and at 143 and recording two excellent handicap wins he still couldn't get a run.
I will be following him this year.....
 
I asked for Perfect Candidate to be added to the national betting on the exchanges but don't think they've added him yet Ista.
 
Don Poli would be close to top weight though wouldn't he? If he has beaten Many Clouds (getting weight if I remember) and then placed in a Gold Cup he must be right near the top?
 
An OR of 161 for Don Poli should leave him with little to worry, unless he was to have a sudden downfall in ratings this winter
 
It'd be nice if they could get to the race on 160.
 
I asked for Perfect Candidate to be added to the national betting on the exchanges but don't think they've added him yet Ista.

I'm almost pleased he is so far under the radar and off everyone's lists that when someone does price up it could be a ricket quote, on the exchanges no-one will populate on the lay side.
At 148 he would be guaranteed a run now and probably bang around the magical 11st, how does Fergal campaign him ?
Keep him ticking over without altering that mark ?
I think Fergal O'Brien is one of the best trainers of a staying chaser around, he's not a fashionable trainer so his mounts often receive less attention than the big yards but trust me this fella knows the time of day.

On Don Poli, he is still only 7, it's feasible he can still improve so his current mark (164 ?) is probably as low as he'll be this season, obviosuly it helps the field if he gets an upper 160s mark for the race.
 
It's going to be tough for Fergal, one win and he probably blows his chance of a national, too many defeats and he won't get in. No easy answer I'm afraid.
 
This thread might be worth a bump, bound to be one or two that are currently under the radar who got unlucky last year...