Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
https://pay.anna.money/p/fjforumslimited
See more
See less

Faugheen any news ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill Esdaile ‏@BillEsdaile 9m

One negative that came out of this morning's trip has to be the well being of Faugheen. Mullins expressed that he hasn't been happy with him

Comment

Today

"Faugheen jumps hurdles," Ricci told At The Races. "If they (Annie Power and Vautour) jumped (fences) I think it's pretty clear, given that performance at Punchestown, the Champion Hurdle would be Faugheen's target, but it depends what we do with those two."

Comment

Ruby

Faugheen also worked well this morning and it is all systems go for Ascot – he should be going there.

I’ll be at Ascot on Saturday for Faugheen’s seasonal debut in the Coral Hurdle over 2m 3f – a race won by Annie Power last year. His Champion Hurdle credentials are on the line after winning the Neptune Novices Hurdle at Cheltenham and then bolting in at Punchestown after that.

He has to justify the impression he made last season and improve again if he’s going to win the Champion Hurdle – but he’s unbeaten so far and I’ll be looking for a good performance again from him.

Am I in a dilemma over Faugheen and Hurricane Fly after his weekend win? At this stage of the season you hope to have two or three candidates for the Champion Hurdle and hope one of them makes it there.

Comment

Much excitement understandably greeted the news - delivered simultaneously by Willie Mullins at the HRI Awards and here by Rich Ricci - that Faugheen was an intended runner in the Christmas Hurdle, but how good could the horse actually be? Nick Luck described him separately as a "frankly ridiculous animal" and "one of the most absurd horses in training", but Nicholls jokingly saw things from the other side of the coin. "He looked very good, but he beat a couple of slow stayers the other day at Ascot," said the champion trainer, to much laughter. What did Ricci have to say about running plans for Faugheen over the Christmas season? "Being candid, Christmas time is going to be another re-match between Hurrcane Fly and Jezki [at Leopardstown] which I'm fine with, but as a second-season novice do I really want to be taking those guys on?" he said, thinking aloud. "Do I really want to be taking on any experienced hurdlers like Paul's horse [Irving]? The Chirstmas Hurdle seems a good race for us here. The alternative is the race at Cheltenham at New Year's Day which Annie Power won in which he only carries a half-penalty for his Grade One win. We'll see how the race is looking. What he's up against is going to be the most important thing."

Comment

Comment

"We're looking at the Red Mills for Faugheen," Mullins said on At The Races. "I think there's one other contest left in England but we'll just keep all our options open. The horse is in good form.

"We'll probably have a chat with Ruby [Walsh] in the next day or so to see if he needs more experience, but at the moment I'm very happy with him."

Comment

Terms and Conditions

Terms and Conditions

1. The Enhanced Price Welcome Offer is available for new customers only
                2. The offer is valid only on the customer’s first bet
                3. Place a £10 bet on the normal price and you will be paid out at that price if your bet wins
                4. Extra winnings will be credited into the customer’s account as bonus money within 48 hours.
                5. The bonus money must be wagered 2 times at minimum odds of 1.40 prior to withdrawal.
                6. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other sign-up offer
                7. If your selection fails to win, you will not qualify for another welcome offer
                8. Applies to Single bets only
                9. UK customers only.

Comment

"Punchestown is the way I usually go with the big guns and I don't see that changing much.

Punchestown

"I would imagine Faugheen will go there. He got a bit of a cut in his race, but he's all right.

"Now it's a case of recovery and recuperation and getting ready for the rest of the big meetings this season.

"The tough job of getting them hard fit for Cheltenham is done, so it's mainly a case of keeping them ticking over for Fairyhouse, Aintree and Punchestown."

Comment

Ruby

You’d imagine Faugheen will follow the Hurricane Fly route and go straight to Punchestown. I would imagine that Douvan, like last year’s winning novices will do the same.

Comment

News on @realfaugheen is he is absolutely fine today @WillieMullinsNH. Might have left race behind in sensational gallop last week. Yeeehaaa

Comment

RUBY

Nobody was more surprised that Faugheen was beaten last Sunday but nobody should have been more prepared for it than me.

I just underestimated Nichols Canyon who I’d ridden to win three of his four Grade One races last year. He shouldn’t have been underestimated.

Their homework suggested that Faugheen was further forward than Nichols Canyon but it looks like the winner kept his performance for the racecourse. Faugheen jumped well but slightly missed the second last whereas Nichols Canyon winged it. That could have been the difference between winning and losing.

I can’t explain why Faugheen hung on the race to the line. He’s been 100 per cent since. Maybe Nichols Canyon was just sharper, more battle-hardened on the day. It was a very good performance and he got a great ride from David Mullins.

One thing’s for sure – I won’t be underestimating him again.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Ruby

Faugheen, Arctic Fire and Nichols Canyon all worked on Tuesday morning and we are looking forward to running them all in the BHP Insurances Irish Champion Hurdle. It will be a small field with perhaps Tiger Roll and and King Of The Picts as the only other runners.
                              I am very sure I will ride Faugheen, especially how he worked on Tuesday. Obviously Nichols Canyon beat him at Punchestown and form is form. That was the result - we can make excuses for it and he will have just have to go out and prove that it was just a one off.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X