Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Galway Plate 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galway Plate 2020

Galway Plate entries 15th July
    Handicap calculated 20th July
    Thanks archie.

Race 29th July.

Early prices, thanks Kautostar

Robin De Carlow won't run.

Comment

Galway Hurdle (Will Hill)

Has early antepost listing as:-

Wonder Laish 10/1
      Felix Desjy 12/1
      Aramon 12/1
      Jon Snow 14/1
      Stratum 20/1
      "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post
        Galway Hurdle (Will Hill)

Has early antepost listing as:-

Wonder Laish 10/1
        Felix Desjy 12/1
        Aramon 12/1
        Jon Snow 14/1
        Stratum 20/1
        Start a new thread for that mate.

Comment

I've been looking on oddschecker for the prices for ages trying to see what Galvin would be - thanks for putting them up here! Seems an obvious starting point but wait to see the entries I guess

Comment

I have taken the 10/1 now for him just because I think he'll go off single figures.

Will re-assess at that point, obviously.

Partly because I wouldn't be able to show my face if he won having highlighted it so many times

The Galvin Plate

Comment

You've tempted me into it now! Agreed that he'll go off shorter if he lines up. Any word on whether that's the plan? I assumed his run the other day was a prep for it.

The Galvin plate has a real ring to it

Comment

I'll be very interested to see if Gordon runs Battleoverdoyen in the Plate. I think he would take some beating.

He's rated 151 - only 3lbs higher than Galvin - and this is probably his optimum trip.

His first chase was over course and distance where he gave a very impressive front-running display to comfortably beat Cap York (rec 3lbs) by 8 lengths with Glamorgan Duke back in third. Galvin fell at the final ditch - 4 out - in the same race when still contending in third. But it would have taken some performance by Galvin that day to peg him back.

Even though this trip is the furthest Galvin has ever undertaken I just don't think he'll have the pace to win the Plate. I can see him being placed but reckon he'll improve over further.

That's why I think Gordon will aim him at the NH Chase rather than the Northern Trust over 2m 4f.

Battleoverdoyen has already proved on three occasions that he can deliver first time out.

He won his only p2p in April 2017 and his sole NH flat race at Punchestown when he was next seen on the track late in 2018.

He flopped in the Ballymore last year after being sent off 3-1 favourite but bounced back on his next outing - in that novice chase he won at Galway last October.

Battleoverdoyen disappointed again at Cheltenham this year when he finished over 20 lengths behind Champ in the RSA. He jumped a bit big early on and slightly to the right at some obstacles but Davy got him into a nice rhythm on the final circuit and he was going as well as anything when they came down the hill. But he soon got left behind in the straight.

Whether it was lack of stamina, Cheltenham doesn't suit him or he just wasn't good enough only time will tell.

But I'd strongly fancy him to give Galvin 3lbs and a beating over this course and distance.

A double figure price on Battleoverdoyen would be hard to resist.

And this may be one of his best opportunities to lift a big pot. It's going to be a choice between the Ultima and the Brown Advisory at Cheltenham and he's likely to carry well over 11 stone in either race. Unless Gordon sends him back over hurdles at the Festival to make the most of his lower mark (144).
                Last edited by nortonscoin200; 11 July 2020, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Chris View Post
                  You've tempted me into it now! Agreed that he'll go off shorter if he lines up. Any word on whether that's the plan? I assumed his run the other day was a prep for it.

The Galvin plate has a real ring to it
                  It's 100% the plan mate, was mentioned by Gordon after his run at Cheltenham

Comment

Galway Plate & Galway Hurdle
                    Early Entries this Weds 15th July
                    Weights Mon 20th July

Comment

Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post
                      Galway Plate & Galway Hurdle
                      Early Entries this Weds 15th July
                      Weights Mon 20th July
                      Read post 1, line 1

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                        Read post 1, line 1
                        Timings everything.

Always worth a reminder as the entry day dawns.

Comment

Comment

Blimey Galvin only rated 148, to Jett at 158

Comment

Working...
                            X