Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Back to form horses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to form horses

Now we all know horses aren't machines and their performances are significantly affected by going/course/distance/time since last run etc in various ways.
    The RP often reports in brackets comments such as "the trainer could offer no explanation for the improvement in running" or words to that effect. But as far as I can see no further action is taken.

I've been thinking about the 150/1 Irish Grand National Winner. There's no such comment (maybe it's different practice in Ireland?) but it's last 3 runs were beaten by 50l, 23l and 39l over a similar distance in marginally softer conditions. It's win in the IGN was very similar to it's previous win in a good race at Kilbeggan back in July 20 and it's last poor run was in October 20. There might be a legitimate reason for this improvement of form but shouldn't it at least have been looked at by the stewards? Do the stewards lack teeth these days?

I'm just about old enough to remember Ryan Price with Rosyth and Hill House in the old Schweppes. Those results were not allowed to pass off without any comment.
    Now that doesn't mean Dermot McLoughtlin is another Ryan Price But I would at least have thought that questions should have been asked. Were they?

Trainers are only called to answer the Stewards if there’s an unexplained performance, be that improvement or regression.
    In the case of the Irish National winner it was all about the ground, as you have pointed out he showed good form previously on quick ground and that just seemed to have got missed by the market, it happens, flyweight and got his conditions, the trainer had a few quid as did J O’Shea having turned out todays 66/1 Foxhunters winner, sadly it seems no-one in here backed either...

Comment

I think it's helpful if the stewards ask the question for such a race since the punters get to know what the trainer says. It had won a decent race on soft ground previously.

Comment

I’m kind of playing devils advocate here but good horses can win bad/average races on unfavoured ground.
        I have a bigger issue with qualifiers and horses ridden to qualify for finals, stewards never seem to pick on those efforts and it’s those horses who generally get to finals and ‘improve’ a stone....

Comment

Yes but being beaten 50l drops the equivalent race standard down substantially in my view. Given the 150/1 I'm surprised no questions were asked by the stewards.

Comment

Working...
          X