Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Farewell to Richard Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell to Richard Johnson

I was hoping someone else would have began this thread and I'm not sure this is the correct part of the forum.

But I'm sure we will all miss Richard in racing, sometimes it's difficult to discuss a jockey other than his race riding ability but we have all had so many chances to witness him over the years be it pre or post race interviews and appearances on programs such as a Question of Sport among many others and each and every time he came over as a thoroughly nice and decent person.

I remember attending the London Racing Club one evening and Lydia Hislop was a guest on the panel and she began criticizing Richards ability and the ride he gave Menorah in the previous seasons Champion Hurdle (I think she was talking through a wounded pocket) as we all do from time to time but she stirred up an hornets nest in the audience and her attack was the issue for the next 5 minutes she is just not like that normally and it gave us a laugh.

As an outsider Richards demeanor is sometimes construed as timid but he is as brave as lion and I would say that the way he attacks his fences on a front runner such as Native River and lesser animals was heart warming if you were ON so that is one less aspect the punters will miss in the knowledge that it made having a punt slightly easier in knowing Richard would be riding this particular animal.

I would like to thank him for the pleasure he has given me and some misery other years and wish a long and happy retirement.

Was lucky enough to have met him several times as he rode for Tim Vaughan who we had our horse with and he rode him a few times. A proper gentleman and honest as they come. Top, top Jockey and glad he's got out in one piece to enjoy his young family.

Comment

Definitely underrated and seemed like a gentleman to boot.

10 years before my time but his ride on Anzum is the 1999 Stayers is one of my faves to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by luisgarciaisgod View Post
        Definitely underrated and seemed like a gentleman to boot.

10 years before my time but his ride on Anzum is the 1999 Stayers is one of my faves to watch.
        Added that ride to Winning Most Cheltenham Jockeys : Richard Johnson | Fat Jockey

Really feels like the end of an era.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Vic View Post

Added that ride to Winning Most Cheltenham Jockeys : Richard Johnson | Fat Jockey

Really feels like the end of an era.
          I still think of him as Mr Johnson from first finding my way to The Plough in Ford in the mid 90s. The Duke ruled the roost then at Jackdaws Castle and block booked the back room. In later years we would meet Richard out with Zara. End of an era OK OV
          Last edited by Pendil; 7 April 2021, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Native River missed his usual jockey today. Maybe a good comparison (in terms of jockeyship) is the underrated Willie Carson who was in the shadow of Lester Piggott, was not as great a stylist but was effective in a finish. Richard Johnson always comes across as a decent bloke though I've never met him personally. Slightly surprised he retired just before Aintree.

Comment

Working...
            X