Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

York Ebor Meeting - Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• York Ebor Meeting - Recommendations

A group of 5 of us are off to the Ebor meeting for the first time this year. In recommendations for in and around the city or on the day?

Which day(s) and what are you looking for? It's a totally different place on the Saturday. No shortage of bars and pubs, all about the sort of ones you're into and how long you've got.

Comment

Thanks. We’re there from Friday - Sunday, attending racing on the Saturday. We like a drink and a good atmosphere so any recommendations for decent bars around the city (few daytime or evening drinks)? And any recommendations for ok the course on Saturday - we’ve got County Stand tickets.

Comment

I should say for context that we’re all very much into our racing and also in our 40’s so not looking for too late a night

Comment

Originally posted by Nagstoriches View Post
          Thanks. We’re there from Friday - Sunday, attending racing on the Saturday. We like a drink and a good atmosphere so any recommendations for decent bars around the city (few daytime or evening drinks)? And any recommendations for ok the course on Saturday - we’ve got County Stand tickets.
          Sorry, forgot to reply to this! There's no shortage of pubs and bars across the City, there's a pretty solid divide though between what the locals call the 'posh' side of the City for drinking and the 'other' side of the City. The other side basically being Micklegate and anything around Bridge Street (although there's few place better than by the river outside the Kings Arms, Lowther etc... if it's a nice day). The other side isn't bad, just where you're more likely to find big groups and the hen dos.
          Posh side isn't especially posh, just more 'trendy' type bars and pubs, less groups and chaos. Although it's York in tourist season and it's a race week, it's rarely actually quiet. On race day in the build up then it'll always be a good atmosphere on Micklegate/Bridge Street and Blossom Street. Tons of pubs and all will be lively in a good way. The Ackhorne is probably the best of the pubs in the Micklegate area, great old school pub, great beer, great atmosphere and just enough off the beaten path to count as a 'hidden gem', definitely be first on my list to visit if I was around that part of town. The Priory next best. The Windmill is standard pub fare but pretty big inside and a load of screens. The Mount further along is a small, locals type boozer, good number of tables out the back, nothing flash but does the job and one of your last options before the course if walking up that way, which most do. Trafalgar Bay is a cheap Sam Smiths pub just along Nunnery Lane (Turn left at the Wetherspoons) if that's your sort of thing, has a decent sized beer garden and seems less well known by non-locals. There's a lane alongside it that'll take you through a park and if you keep walking in the same direction through the housing area you'll reach the Knavesmire in about 10mins. The Knavesmire pub is a proper locals type boozer set amongst terraced housing if you want one last drink before entering the course. Loads of room inside, has an L shaped pool table, or did. Almost certainly doesn't on a raceday

If you like a quieter part of town with plenty of good pubs and beer then head for Fossgate, little street near The Stonebow that's got a good amount of pubs and restaurants (Mumbai Lounge is my favourite York Indian, might have to book on a Saturday though). Fav pubs in that area would be The Hop and Fossgate Tap, then you have The Golden Fleece round the corner and Pavement Vaults which are both ok. The Three Tuns is a cosy old boozer. Duke of York and Old White Swan (locally known as 'the mucky duck') near Kings Square, with Snickleway Inn and Cross Keys just along Goodramgate. The Habit (rooftop terrace with Minster View), Vahe Bar in that area too, plus Royal Oak and Golden Slipper which are old type boozers.

Other City Centre favourites either beer wise/beer garden wise would be Valhalla (small but great pub near the market, one of my favourite spots) as is Pivni nearby. The Market Cat (great view of the Minster from the top floor), Lamb and Lion (Next to Bootham Bar, nice beer garden that most don't seem to be aware exists which backs on to the Bar Walls and has a view of the top of the Minster). Hole In Wall, Eagle & Child, Three Legged Mare (seems to be a favourite haunt for real ale drinkers), Guy Fawkes Inn (opposite Minster), Ye Olde Starre Inn (oldest licensed pub in York apparently, always a good crowd in), House of Trembling Madness (There's two, one on Stonegate, one on Lendal. One on Lendal is better in my opinion (both can be recommended though) and is set across multiple floors, more fun/quirky on the upper floors). Next door to the one on Lendal is The Old Bank which is a good 'normal' type pub, pretty big and loads of screens showing sport, a decent sized beer garden too. If you're not looking for clubs but want a lively pub that's a throw back to a time gone by, then you have to pop into The Three Cranes at some point on the night . Proper local legend of a pub.

On an evening there's Micklegate area again which will definitely be lively... Then there's loads of bars in the Stonegate/Swinegate/Grape Lane area (Evil Eye is good if for some reason you want a weird cocktail. Nice atmosphere. 1331 is tucked away but decent. All the rest are what you'd expect from any City centre really, which isn't a negative, only one i'd actively avoid is Slug & Lettuce just as it's always a bit boring in there). Usual Revs/Pitcher & Piano type fare by the river, nice view. The Stone Roses Bar if you're into indie music, always lively in there.

Boring myself now, sorry Basically I could go on all day, there's no shortage of pubs and i've missed off plenty I like. Hard not to have a good day. Feel free to inbox me if you get stuck or want to know anything else.
          Last edited by Atlantic Viking; 17 August 2021, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagstoriches View Post
            Forgot to mention about this bit. If you'd like to, make sure to watch a race from the top deck of the Gimcrack Stand. I'm convinced most with County Stand tickets think its a box and don't realise they can. Just a fun old school stand to tick off and a great view down the home straight.

mKaSKXX.jpg

Edit: Tried to upload a pic but seem to have failed miserably! Clicking the attachment thing below seems to work.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantic Viking View Post

Sorry, forgot to reply to this! There's no shortage of pubs and bars across the City, there's a pretty solid divide though between what the locals call the 'posh' side of the City for drinking and the 'other' side of the City. The other side basically being Micklegate and anything around Bridge Street (although there's few place better than by the river outside the Kings Arms, Lowther etc... if it's a nice day). The other side isn't bad, just where you're more likely to find big groups and the hen dos.
              Posh side isn't especially posh, just more 'trendy' type bars and pubs, less groups and chaos. Although it's York in tourist season and it's a race week, it's rarely actually quiet. On race day in the build up then it'll always be a good atmosphere on Micklegate/Bridge Street and Blossom Street. Tons of pubs and all will be lively in a good way. The Priory is probably the best of the pubs on Micklegate itself. The Windmill is standard pub fare but pretty big inside and a load of screens. The Mount further along is a small, locals type boozer, good number of tables out the back, nothing flash but does the job and one of your last options before the course if walking up that way, which most do. Trafalgar Bay is a cheap Sam Smiths pub just along Nunnery Lane (Turn left at the Wetherspoons) if that's your sort of thing, has a decent sized beer garden and seems less well known by non-locals. There's a lane alongside it that'll take you through a park and if you keep walking in the same direction through the housing area you'll reach the Knavesmire in about 10mins. The Knavesmire pub is a proper locals type boozer set amongst terraced housing if you want one last drink before entering the course. Loads of room inside, has an L shaped pool table, or did. Almost certainly doesn't on a raceday

If you like a quieter part of town with plenty of good pubs and beer then head for Fossgate, little street near The Stonebow that's got a good amount of pubs and restaurants (Mumbai Lounge is my favourite York Indian, might have to book on a Saturday though). Fav pubs in that area would be The Hop and Fossgate Tap, then you have The Golden Fleece round the corner and Pavement Vaults are both ok. The Three Tuns is a cosy old boozer. Duke of York and Old White Swan (locally known as 'the mucky duck') near Kings Square, with Snickleway Inn and Cross Keys just along Goodramgate. The Habit (rooftop terrace with Minster View), Vahe Bar in that area too, plus Royal Oak and Golden Slipper which are old type boozers.

Other City Centre favourites either beer wise/beer garden wise would be Valhalla (small but great pub near the market, one of my favourite spots) as is Pivni nearby. The Market Cat (great view of the Minster from the top floor), Lamb and Lion (Next to Bootham Bar, nice beer garden that most don't seem to be aware exists which backs on to the Bar Walls and has a view of the top of the Minster). Hole In Wall, Eagle & Child, Three Legged Mare (seems to be a favourite haunt for real ale drinkers), Guy Fawkes Inn (opposite Minster), Ye Olde Starre Inn (oldest licensed pub in York apparently, always a good crowd in), House of Trembling Madness (There's two, one on Stonegate, one on Lendal. One on Lendal is better in my opinion (both can be recommended though) and is set across multiple floors, more fun/quirky on the upper floors). Next door to the one on Lendal is The Old Bank which is a good 'normal' type pub, pretty big and loads of screens showing sport, a decent sized beer garden too. If you're not looking for clubs but want a lively pub that's a throw back to a time gone by, then you have to pop into The Three Cranes at some point on the night . Proper local legend of a pub.

On an evening there's Micklegate area again which will definitely be lively... Then there's loads of bars in the Stonegate/Swinegate/Grape Lane area (Evil Eye is good if for some reason you want a weird cocktail. Nice atmosphere. 1331 is tucked away but decent. All the rest are what you'd expect from any City centre really, which isn't a negative, only one i'd actively avoid is Slug & Lettuce just as it's always a bit boring in there). Usual Revs/Pitcher & Piano type fare by the river, nice view. The Stone Roses Bar if you're into indie music, always lively in there.

Boring myself now, sorry Basically I could go on all day, there's no shortage of pubs and i've missed off plenty I like. Hard not to have a good day. Feel free to inbox me if you get stuck or want to know anything else.
              Now that's what i call a pub guide, i shall keep that for future reference when i visit York.

Comment

I half remember a pub I went to in York around 35 years ago which was basically somebody’s living room and back room. I can’t be certain, but I think it was called The Bluebell or something similar. Either that or someone slipped something in my drink and I imagined it!. Either way if anyone remembers this put me out of my misery and stop me half thinking it’s a figment of my imagination from a time in my life that was a very pleasant blur!
                Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more I sweat, the luckier I get.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
                  I half remember a pub I went to in York around 35 years ago which was basically somebody’s living room and back room. I can’t be certain, but I think it was called The Bluebell or something similar. Either that or someone slipped something in my drink and I imagined it!. Either way if anyone remembers this put me out of my misery and stop me half thinking it’s a figment of my imagination from a time in my life that was a very pleasant blur!
                  Definitely sounds like The Bluebell! That's down Fossgate, 2 small rooms that hardly fit anyone in, about as old school a pub as it gets!
                  Last edited by Atlantic Viking; 17 August 2021, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation AV. Not least for the confirmation that the alcoholic haze of the eighties didn’t kill all my brain cells!
                    Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more I sweat, the luckier I get.

Comment

Yes its the Bluebell. In years past i remember the landlord slinging out a a few lads for using the their phones too much. Went out the doors with the advice to come back when you want a drink and not talking bollocks all day.

Been a.fav of mine ever since.

Comment

Working...
                      X