Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

GRAND ANNUAL Challenge Cup Handicap Chase 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post

Why would PK be any more aware than anybody else ?

....for him to put it as his best bet I wondered if he might have a stable insight to its target. Similar to the reasoning suggested by a few on here when Mark Howard tipped The Last Day @ 50-1 for this race.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggs View Post

....for him to put it as his best bet I wondered if he might have a stable insight to its target. Similar to the reasoning suggested by a few on here when Mark Howard tipped The Last Day @ 50-1 for this race.
      I like PK and regularly read his articles as i enjoy his reasoning etc, he defo doesn't spout the info stuff and anything he backs is just opinions. He put Sky Pirate up the day he won and with how easy he did it obvs just thought this lad looks ideal for the GA. He had a very strong early fancy last year in Imperial Aura and this lad must of ticked his boxes after his last effort too i imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post

I like PK and regularly read his articles as i enjoy his reasoning etc, he defo doesn't spout the info stuff and anything he backs is just opinions. He put Sky Pirate up the day he won and with how easy he did it obvs just thought this lad looks ideal for the GA. He had a very strong early fancy last year in Imperial Aura and this lad must of ticked his boxes after his last effort too i imagine.
        Yes, PK doesn't go snouting around for info, he picks his own.

Did he put him up before he was re-handicapped, and assessing the rise to be given?

There's a lot to like about Sky Pirate's form at Cheltenham, and 2M looked to suit him well.

"Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post

Yes, PK doesn't go snouting around for info, he picks his own.

Did he put him up before he was re-handicapped, and assessing the rise to be given?

There's a lot to like about Sky Pirate's form at Cheltenham, and 2M looked to suit him well.
          Yeah he was very keen to give him a chance dropped back lto and then strongly fancied him for the GA the week after and think he would have even if he got raised a stone+.

TBF the Pirate is a horse that has had a few quid off me and i pigeon holed him as a dog(poor word for bridle merchant) prior to his drop back in trip, whilst he was very impressive lto i couldn't support him as even thou i should know better and be impartial etc i just don't trust him even on new information learnt the last day.
          Last edited by Outlaw; 14 January 2021, 06:48 PM.

Comment

20/1 for Chosen Mate here ?

I've just been back through a a few 'debates' about this horse that I had with Lobos .... who even had SW doing stats on crap horses placing in QMCC's

Gordy name drops the race as a target, I wonder how many lbs they can shave off.

Would the old course suit more than the new, too?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post

I've just been back through a a few 'debates' about this horse that I had with Lobos .... who even had SW doing stats on crap horses placing in QMCC's

Gordy name drops the race as a target, I wonder how many lbs they can shave off.

He does skip between hurdles and fences so he could end up anywhere. If he did end up here though I'd be all over him on the day as he won with a fair bit in hand last year and was being aimed at the Champion Chase before a few things curtailed that.
              Last edited by Lobos; 14 January 2021, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Grand Annual was mentioned by Gordy yesterday, and pleased to see Jack Kennedy riding another for the stable on Saturday.

He is plenty good enough, on last years Grand Ann form, to carry more than 147.......just how much more is the big question.
                He could have carried 150+ last year and won.

Gordon did want him in the Imperial Aura/Galvin race off 145, but he showed too much on his run before the Festival and went up a lump to 144 in Ireland (147 UK).

Ive backed him 20/1 Any Race, and also 16/1 NRNB in the Grand Ann, hoping he gets one or two more runs over fences and comes here off 152-154.

Then it’s in the lap of the gods, on the day, and I hope Davy Russell is back and has the ride on him.

He is a right good horse, but he will need to be, to win off 150+.

French Opera ran in the race for Nicky Henderson (5 times I think) three times off 154, including being second, while on that mark, to Pigeon Island giving him 18lbs.

Maybe Chosen Mate is the type that loves a 2M pace burn-off like this and to shelter in behind, with the pace for a final burst up the hill, like last year.
                He could come back here again, and again.
                He is in the right hands to chart a route back to a Festival handicap.

Comment

I'm just toying the the 5 places 16/1 NRNB myself to be fair.

I've thought all along he was more likely to win the Grand Annual aganst than a Champion Chase and would stick with that now.

I may have 1 pt win only any race at 20/1 and then 1.5 pts e/w (5 places) for the GA at 16/1

Up the Chosen Mate.

This race seems more important now it's on the Wednesday too, I feel like I need a good one rather than it being a 'bonus' race on the Friday

Just going to watch his races back this season first though before I get carried away.
                  Last edited by Kevloaf; 14 January 2021, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post

Grand Annual was mentioned by Gordy yesterday, and pleased to see Jack Kennedy riding another for the stable on Saturday.

He is plenty good enough, on last years Grand Ann form, to carry more than 147.......just how much more is the big question.
                    He could have carried 150+ last year and won.

Gordon did want him in the Imperial Aura/Galvin race off 145, but he showed too much on his run before the Festival and went up a lump to 144 in Ireland (147 UK).

Ive backed him 20/1 Any Race, and also 16/1 NRNB in the Grand Ann, hoping he gets one or two more runs over fences and comes here off 152-154.

Then it’s in the lap of the gods, on the day, and I hope Davy Russell is back and has the ride on him.

He is a right good horse, but he will need to be, to win off 150+.

French Opera ran in the race for Nicky Henderson (5 times I think) three times off 154, including being second, while on that mark, to Pigeon Island giving him 18lbs.

Maybe Chosen Mate is the type that loves a 2M pace burn-off like this and to shelter in behind, with the pace for a final burst up the hill, like last year.
                    He could come back here again, and again.
                    He is in the right hands to chart a route back to a Festival handicap.
                    Just had it highlighted to me, and I think it's a great point....

The Grand Annual will probably be stronger this year than previous years, as the 'Novice Handicap Chase' horses will be either here or the Plate...

Also, Chosen Mate hasn't been entered yet over here to check his mark?

I wonder if Gordon will send Chosen Mate anyway, but has a sneakier one at a lower weight to take advantage?

Comment

The Grand Annual will probably be stronger this year than previous years, as the 'Novice Handicap Chase' horses will be either here or the Plate...

Also, Chosen Mate hasn't been entered yet over here to check his mark?

I wonder if Gordon will send Chosen Mate anyway, but has a sneakier one at a lower weight to take advantage?
                      He will defo have one or two others.

Happy to back more than one guddun from Gordy NRNB

Comment

The Grand Annual will probably be stronger this year than previous years, as the 'Novice Handicap Chase' horses will be either here
                        Yes a very good point, also, and this was mentioned by someone earlier, the race has shifted to the Old Course so the race dynamics will be very different from recent years...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post

Yes a very good point, also, and this was mentioned by someone earlier, the race has shifted to the Old Course so the race dynamics will be very different from recent years...
                          The more quality
                          The more the weights compress
                          The better for top-weights like Chosen Mate

Comment

I'm just toying the the 5 places 16/1 NRNB myself to be fair.

I've thought all along he was more likely to win the Grand Annual aganst than a Champion Chase and would stick with that now.

I may have 1 pt win only any race at 20/1 and then 1.5 pts e/w (5 places) for the GA at 16/1

Up the Chosen Mate.

This race seems more important now it's on the Wednesday too, I feel like I need a good one rather than it being a 'bonus' race on the Friday

Just going to watch his races back this season first though before I get carried away.
                            I too am tempted by him NRNB for this (the other one I’d thought about for the race actually being Sky Pirate who I see is very popular with some good FJ judges which bodes well - though that declaration Saturday has muddied the waters a bit).

The thing with Chosen Mate though, for me, is that he’d definitely not be an any race bet. Because if they can’t shave off too much for this, they’ll sling him in the Champion Chase instead you’d think (especially if Chacun scares a lot of the field off) and run for some prize money there. And i wouldn’t want 20s for him in the champion Chase. You’d surely rather NRNB for the GA alone?

Comment

...Hills have Le Breuil to win tomorrow & GA @ 125-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggs View Post
                                ...Hills have Le Breuil to win tomorrow & GA @ 125-1.
                                Cheers eggs.

Grand Annual? for an NHC winner!

He is in my notebook for the kim muir (currently rated 140 and hasnt run since having wind surgery)

Comment

Working...
                                X