Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
https://pay.anna.money/p/fjforumslimited
See more
See less

GRAND ANNUAL Challenge Cup Handicap Chase 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hardy Eustace View Post

Cheers eggs.

Grand Annual? for an NHC winner!

He is in my notebook for the kim muir (currently rated 140 and hasnt run since having wind surgery)
    It’s any race 100/1 and ultima 125 and cross country 100 with hills which makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post

I too am tempted by him NRNB for this (the other one I’d thought about for the race actually being Sky Pirate who I see is very popular with some good FJ judges which bodes well - though that declaration Saturday has muddied the waters a bit).

The thing with Chosen Mate though, for me, is that he’d definitely not be an any race bet. Because if they can’t shave off too much for this, they’ll sling him in the Champion Chase instead you’d think (especially if Chacun scares a lot of the field off) and run for some prize money there. And i wouldn’t want 20s for him in the champion Chase. You’d surely rather NRNB for the GA alone?
      They didn't enter him MOM which adds more fuel to them plotting another handicap win be it in the GA or back over hurdles. He ran really well behind Saint Roi when getting a nasty cut on the way round so they could well take advantage of his Hurdle mark.

Comment

Would Thatsy be of interest here? Declared for the same race Chosen Mate ran in last year. I think someone on here mentioned that Aramax was also in the race.

To me, Thatsy is more likely to be handicap plot - haven't gone back and researched but don't think many of Gordon's handicap winners have come back and won the following year.

Comment

Originally posted by RufusFlynn View Post
          Would Thatsy be of interest here? Declared for the same race Chosen Mate ran in last year. I think someone on here mentioned that Aramax was also in the race.

To me, Thatsy is more likely to be handicap plot - haven't gone back and researched but don't think many of Gordon's handicap winners have come back and won the following year.
          Sire du Berlais

Comment

Originally posted by Quevega View Post

Sire du Berlais
            Cause of Causes won the Kim Muir Handicap Chase in 2016 then followed up in the Cross Country the following year.

GET YOUR ANORAK OUT!

Comment

Won the four miler before that

Comment

Sire du Berlais
                Fair one. Did say 'not many'. More so meaning that it is less likely rather than impossible. I suppose the point i was trying to make was more along the lines of to win a festival handicap it needs to be carefully plotted or unexposed. once they have won one it becomes more difficult to come back and win another. Even if they show poorer form in between, they are less likely to be 'well in' compared to the year they won.

Obviously not saying Chosen Mate can't win again.

Comment

Originally posted by RufusFlynn View Post

Fair one. Did say 'not many'. More so meaning that it is less likely rather than impossible. I suppose the point i was trying to make was more along the lines of to win a festival handicap it needs to be carefully plotted or unexposed. once they have won one it becomes more difficult to come back and win another. Even if they show poorer form in between, they are less likely to be 'well in' compared to the year they won.

Obviously not saying Chosen Mate can't win again.
                  I agree with you.
                  Always be vulnerable to something lurking.
                  And it's not easy winning any Cheltenham handicap off marks in the 150's.
                  Chosen Mate has decent credentials though.
                  Not sure the other course is ideal though.

Comment

I agree with you.
                    Always be vulnerable to something lurking.
                    And it's not easy winning any Cheltenham handicap off marks in the 150's.
                    Chosen Mate has decent credentials though.
                    Not sure the other course is ideal though.
                    His Hurdle rating is around 10lbs lower which they may well take advantage of. That said he's not had a trouble free season what with stone bruises and a nasty cut and has lost lots of training/racing time compared to last season so he has it all to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobos View Post

They didn't enter him MOM which adds more fuel to them plotting another handicap win be it in the GA or back over hurdles. He ran really well behind Saint Roi when getting a nasty cut on the way round so they could well take advantage of his Hurdle mark.
                      Hadn’t realised that! Seems clear that he’s bound for a handicap then to not get the CC entry. Would’ve at least thought they’d have kept their options open by entering him.

Good to see..

Comment

• Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post

Hadn’t realised that! Seems clear that he’s bound for a handicap then to not get the CC entry. Would’ve at least thought they’d have kept their options open by entering him.

Good to see..
                        He has never shown any form at all to warrant a QMCC entry.

The absolute best anyone can do is use Greaneteen, who he beat 5.5L but gave 3lbs to, and Greaneteen (who is more unexposed and entitled to more improvement) got shown up as not good enough to be a QMCC horse.

Chosen Mate has done his winning, he's had his moment. Move on.

There is no chance he's a dual festival winner at 2m. In myyyyyyyyyyyyyyy opinionononoononononon

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post

The absolute best anyone can do is use Greaneteen, who he beat 5.5L but gave 3lbs to, and Greaneteen (who is more unexposed and entitled to more improvement) got shown up as not good enough to be a QMCC horse.

There is no chance he's a dual festival winner at 2m. In myyyyyyyyyyyyyyy opinionononoononononon

That was my point at the start of this conversation tbf - hence not backing him any race. If it’s Grand Annual or Champion Chase as I’d have thought until Lobos just said he’s not entered, I can only see him having a chance in one of the two. So in that scenario, any race is poor value rather than the NRNB.

I think he’d have a fair enough chance in a Grand Annual. Although it a sucker for a hype horse in that race so will almost definitely have a bigger and better dart than him if he did turn up (Sky Pirate looks like the one at this point). Annoyingly, Greaneteen was my hype horse selection and before I’d even realised Chosen Mate was plotted, he’d been backed into fav on the day.

Piss poor from me but it’s always been a race I tend to not consider til after the important work should’ve been done. Same with the Fred Winter. Both races are just never on my radar for some reason. Anyone else got a race like that at the Fez?

Comment

• Yeah fair play Middle_Of_March - you're absolutely right, TWAR isn't a good bet IMO either.

I also feel similar about the Boodles and Grand Annual, but now they've both moved, I feel the Boodles is more worthy as t's part of THE TUESDAY....

....and the Grand Annual being over C&D of the QMCC, on the same day, makes that a more creditable race too?

No real logic to either... but I want the winners of both more now than I usually do (and obviously I want all 28!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post

Its a 1/16 or 1/20 chance your right.
                              "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

• Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post

That was my point at the start of this conversation tbf - hence not backing him any race. If it’s Grand Annual or Champion Chase as I’d have thought until Lobos just said he’s not entered, I can only see him having a chance in one of the two. So in that scenario, any race is poor value rather than the NRNB.

I think he’d have a fair enough chance in a Grand Annual. Although it a sucker for a hype horse in that race so will almost definitely have a bigger and better dart than him if he did turn up (Sky Pirate looks like the one at this point). Annoyingly, Greaneteen was my hype horse selection and before I’d even realised Chosen Mate was plotted, he’d been backed into fav on the day.

Piss poor from me but it’s always been a race I tend to not consider til after the important work should’ve been done. Same with the Fred Winter. Both races are just never on my radar for some reason. Anyone else got a race like that at the Fez?
                                I focus more time on the handicaps rather than the Grade 1s, particularly, on and after, handicap entries day.

* Because the Grade 1 form is more visible, and the bets staked, often months in advance.

* Because there's no way I want to be winning on the Graded races, then losing on the handicaps.

* Because winning on the handicaps generally brings bigger priced winners - and for me, much much more joy of solving them.

- Imagine all the Grade 1s were changed, a month before Chelters - to Limited Handicaps - based on the horses official ratings - that would be much more fun.

Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 15 January 2021, 10:24 PM.
                                "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Working...
                                X