Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

General Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robith View Post

Having been for the rugby many times, why not try to blend in and take part in everyone's favourite activity of going to St Mary's Street, take your shirt off, try to fight a bouncer and then attempt to not bleed on your curry chips on Chippy Lane
    Thanks for the plan Robith, might have the gravy chip instead though.

I see you have the fantasy football title wrapped up again this year, don’t think Kev will catch up.

Well done, I will get my congratulations in early..

Comment

• Talking about fantasy football, I've had my worst season ever. My results have tended to be somewhere between solid and good in previous seasons, but for whatever reason this year I've just lurched from one poor weekend to the next. I'll defintiely have my lowest total ever, and probably by something like 250-300 points.
      Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more I sweat, the luckier I get.

Comment

• Happy Retirement.......

Comment

• Originally posted by somer1 View Post
          3 great horses, faugheen possibly my favourite racehorse. Hope they all enjoy a long and happy retirement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ice View Post

3 great horses, faugheen possibly my favourite racehorse. Hope they all enjoy a long and happy retirement.
            Faugheen is my favourite hurdler in the last 40 years, since Sea Pigeon was turning up in the Champion Hurdle every year and taking on some wonderful opponents.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Champion Hurdle scene has been missing smart flat recruits for several years now, theyre all from France or P2P'rs now, which really is a blow for the race.

Thats not going to change though as the best 10F+ horses from the flat, that historically would have gone hurdling, get sold abroad as 3yo or 4yo.

Thats were the money in racing is, and will be forever (unless we go Tote monolopy/TAB betting)

Ive never liked that idea, until the last 12 months or so, now I really think it would be racings only solution, to allow owners to earn something from the sport.

Bookies will never give it away, they all became Corporates like the Premier League big-6 snakes.
            Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 8 May 2021, 11:54 AM.
            "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

• Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post

Ive never liked that idea, until the last 12 months or so, now I really think it would be racings only solution. [/SIZE][/FONT]
              I still don't like the idea but the state of racing in two years time i fear is going to be Alien to many, the exchange is getting rid of pros by limiting deposits even with proof of funds(they can't grasp a 20k for example bank can be rolled multiple times to hit high turnover as proof ) and bookmakers as we know is a right ball ache juggling multiple accounts and trusting others. I really struggle to see the direction we are heading to make it sustainable as a sport and a say that as a fan not just a punter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Outlaw View Post

I still don't like the idea but the state of racing in two years time i fear is going to be Alien to many, the exchange is getting rid of pros by limiting deposits even with proof of funds(they can't grasp a 20k for example bank can be rolled multiple times to hit high turnover as proof ) and bookmakers as we know is a right ball ache juggling multiple accounts and trusting others. I really struggle to see the direction we are heading to make it sustainable as a sport and a say that as a fan not just a punter.
                Yep, Outlaw,

I am trying to have fun and win money on Antepost betting for as long as is possible given restrictions, bookmakers doing what they like with accounts, and the dire state of racing finances.

The model doesnt work.

The bookmakers have f'cked up their model and treat customers like they are 2nd class, feeding scraps of money with bonuses, pushing them towards slots, and closing/restricting them without a decent reason.

Its got out of control, bookmakers are ruling the relationship like Fritzl, and no-one regulates any form of equlibrium between punters and bookies.

It will never work unless Parliament legislate to make it work, and they haven't so far.

I am resigned to TAB/Tote becoming the best, free-est choice for racing and for punters, and taking the sport out of bookmakers hands for good, making it illegal for them to have anything to do with racing (they can keep the cartoon stuff though).

They've had their chance and they took everything, instead of sharing fairly with racing, and treating its customers fairly.

The Corporate bookies will push too far, and screw themselves in the end just like the European Super League snake owners, in football, they took it all, but still wanted more control and money.

Greed can take over even the smartest minds, as easily as it can the rest of the human race.

Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 8 May 2021, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post

Yep, Outlaw,

I am trying to have fun and win money on Antepost betting for as long as is possible given restrictions, bookmakers doing what they like with accounts, and the dire state of racing finances.

The model doesnt work.

The bookmakers have f'cked up their model and treat customers like they are 2nd class, feeding scraps of money with bonuses, pushing them towards slots, and closing/restricting them without a decent reason.

Its got out of control, bookmakers are ruling the relationship like Fritzl, and no-one regulates any form of equlibrium between punters and bookies.

It will never work unless Parliament legislate to make it work, and they haven't so far.

I am resigned to TAB/Tote becoming the best, free-est choice for racing and for punters, and taking the sport out of bookmakers hands for good, making it illegal for them to have anything to do with the sport.

They've had their chance and they took everything, instead of sharing fairly with racing, and treating its customers fairly.

The Corporate bookies will push too far, and screw themselves in the end just like the European Super League snake owners, in football, they took it all, but still wanted more control and money.

Greed can take over even the smartest minds, as easily as it can the rest of the human race.

Yep can't dispute what you've said thou the Fritzl analogy a bit dark sir, it really is a sorry affair. Look at today 9 meetings and the majority much of a muchness imo, bookmakers ruling how & when meetings take place just massive saturation. I'm not saying anything new here but i just can't see where racing will turn too, it's completely different to other sports who can justify huge private outlay as they can market and sell off the back of such things but racing does a woeful job of promotion and "bigging" itself up bar Cheltenham and the National.

Even ignoring my interest as a punter the sport is losing owners hand over fists, big money men/operations are few and far between. It's destined to fail and far more intelligent people in the game than me know this yet nothing seems to be in place for change, it looks baffling from the outset.

Comment

• Originally posted by Outlaw View Post

Yep can't dispute what you've said thou the Fritzl analogy a bit dark sir, it really is a sorry affair. Look at today 9 meetings and the majority much of a muchness imo, bookmakers ruling how & when meetings take place just massive saturation. I'm not saying anything new here but i just can't see where racing will turn too, it's completely different to other sports who can justify huge private outlay as they can market and sell off the back of such things but racing does a woeful job of promotion and "bigging" itself up bar Cheltenham and the National.

Even ignoring my interest as a punter the sport is losing owners hand over fists, big money men/operations are few and far between. It's destined to fail and far more intelligent people in the game than me know this yet nothing seems to be in place for change, it looks baffling from the outset.
                    Outlaw,

I dont know why the BHA just doesnt call bookmakers bluff, and say they want the Government to look into the racing industry going completely TAB/Tote within 3 years, and bookmakers not being able to take bets on racing, only through TAB/Tote machines in their shops, for a modest fee.

They can still screen pictures if they pay racing for the media rights.

Hopefully starting that dialogue would wake up bookmakers to agreeing a proper payment structure and treating punters fairly (no heavy restrictions - like the Australian model).

Lets face it, there is little to lose for racing to do this now, is there?

The worst position we could be in, is where we are now.

When people have little to lose, it usually galvanises them into action.
                    Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 8 May 2021, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• UK racing is controlled by self serving people who patently don’t have a clue. It’s totally dominated by the greed of the bookmakers. Look at Ireland and the priority that breeding and racing gets. Even more so in France with breeder and owner premiums. The net result is that the UK can barely breed a G1 winner, and NH racing in the UK is beyond poor on every level. Prize money and results are directly linked, and this years Cheltenham is just the tip of the iceberg. The post Festival review was concluded in matter of days, and the answer was there’s nothing wrong with UK rating. Only an idiot would draw that conclusion.
                      Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more I sweat, the luckier I get.

Comment

• Originally posted by Attaglance View Post
                        I have been catching up with all the threads since a successful Cheltenham. It was my 1st Antepost year and best year I have had in 10 years, I certainly know it will be no easy feat to follow up again this year. As always the knowledge already for 2022 is second to none, I managed to get on board with a few early shouts from Saxon Warrior.

As a side note I am heading over to Cardiff on 11th June for my brothers stag do and wondering any suggestions on good pubs / places to eat at etc. all suggestions welcome
                        Cardiff is a great place for nightlife, it’s a shame there are restrictions still in place as you still be limited to outdoor drinking but if the sun is out I’d recommend getting down Cardiff bay during the day and heading back to city for the evening. There are loads of bars, I haven’t been to Cardiff drinking for nearly 2 years now so not sure what is still open post pandemic but the St Mary’s Street and Mill Lane are good starting points

Comment

• Originally posted by The King Pimm View Post

Cardiff is a great place for nightlife, it’s a shame there are restrictions still in place as you still be limited to outdoor drinking but if the sun is out I’d recommend getting down Cardiff bay during the day and heading back to city for the evening. There are loads of bars, I haven’t been to Cardiff drinking for nearly 2 years now so not sure what is still open post pandemic but the St Mary’s Street and Mill Lane are good starting points
                          There should be an announcement on indoor hospitality in Wales this week. According to the best curry house in North Wales, likely to resume next week in some form.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King Pimm View Post

Thanks TKP, hoping to hear this week about easing of restrictions in Wales, so fingers crossed.

Comment

• Few Mullins comments here https://www.fatjockey.com/forum/fat-...208#post309208

Which got me thinking, have we had any word recently about Ferny Hollow progress or why Appreciate It missed Punchestown?

Article here: https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/...ections/191593

Comment

• You get the feeling from Mullins that Monkfish didn't show anything near his best in his last 2 races. He's going to be a huge player in next season's GC.

Comment

Working...
                                X