Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

General Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post

Frankel winning the Guineas in 2011 came just after Long Run beat Kauto and Denman in that Gold Cup.

What an iconic couple of months for horse racing.... no wonder I got absolutely suckered in.
    Everytime i watch that guineas I tear up. Its when the commentator goes 'and its Frankel, he's 15 lengths clear!' It gets me everytime. Never seen anything like it, probably never will again

Comment

• Originally posted by SharpHat View Post

Everytime i watch that guineas I tear up. Its when the commentator goes 'and its Frankel, he's 15 lengths clear!' It gets me everytime. Never seen anything like it, probably never will again
      Yeah I know exactly what you mean.

When I watched the Queen Anne today, it's the clapping, a furlong out, he "pushes the button" and the crowd are clapping, which is different to the usual cheering.

Could be decades until the next time there's a horse that's potentially the best of all-time. I loved Nick Luck once just absolutely dismissing someone for suggesting Enable was a "better horse".... (not an arguement about who you'd rather own etc, just "who would win")

Not trying to start a debate there, I just mean it was funny because of how neutral and professional Nick Luck usually is.
      Last edited by Kevloaf; 12 January 2021, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• I don’t see it mentioned on the forum much but do any of you watch Off The Fence on YouTube every Tuesday evening with Vanessa Ryle, Barry Gerahty and Tony Keenan? It’s another Cheltenham geared programme so a fair bit of repetition but I think I enjoy it so much because Vanessa Ryle is so attractive, I think Tony Keenan is mesmerised by her too as he doesn’t blink during the show nor interrupt but just stares like me!! It is a good show, I think Keenan is one of the best in the business, he’s really assured and knowledgeable. Barry good too, he comes across as a sound individual.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quevega View Post

I'm afraid we may have lost Humble Pie.
          But I hope not.
          I did ask about his well being a while back and didn’t see any replies. I think he was struggling with the big C so not sure how that panned out unfortunately.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King Pimm View Post
            I don’t see it mentioned on the forum much but do any of you watch Off The Fence on YouTube every Tuesday evening with Vanessa Ryle, Barry Gerahty and Tony Keenan? It’s another Cheltenham geared programme so a fair bit of repetition but I think I enjoy it so much because Vanessa Ryle is so attractive, I think Tony Keenan is mesmerised by her too as he doesn’t blink during the show nor interrupt but just stares like me!! It is a good show, I think Keenan is one of the best in the business, he’s really assured and knowledgeable. Barry good too, he comes across as a sound individual.
            Yeh I listen TKP, it's good and one of the better previews out there IMO. I love Vanessa Ryle. She's not conventionally attractive, but there's something about her that screams absolute wild lynx.

Comment

• Never seen it TKP. Will give it a watch

Comment

• Originally posted by charlie View Post

Yeh I listen TKP, it's good and one of the better previews out there IMO. I love Vanessa Ryle. She's not conventionally attractive, but there's something about her that screams absolute wild lynx.
                I love the description of her Charlie, wild lynx, that must be an upgrade on ‘fox and cougar’!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Geordieboy83 View Post
                  Never seen it TKP. Will give it a watch
                  It’s worth a watch. Barry like many ex jockeys has his thumb on the pulse of a few horses and doesn’t always have the latest information but does chip in with some interesting stuff on the skill and tactical side of racing and Tony is great for his information and ideas on Irish racing. Vanessa is gorgeous so I miss a lot of what she says as I just watch her trying not to blink too much like The Sandalot kids when they’re in the pool watching the life guard apply sun cream to herself

Comment

I love the description of her Charlie, wild lynx, that must be an upgrade on ‘fox and cougar’!!
                    I pinched that phrase from Will Farrell off Blades Of Glory

Comment

• Originally posted by somer1 View Post

Good news. So is it Mayo Millions Time?
                      Trying very hard to wait for NRNB

Comment

• Originally posted by SharpHat View Post
                        when the commentator goes 'and its Frankel, he's 15 lengths clear!' It gets me everytime. Never seen anything like it, probably never will again
                        I was a Newmarket Annual Member in those days.

It sends a shiver down my spine to remember watching that 2000 Guineas from the Head-On Grandstand just past the winning post, looking down the course.

It was the first day that I knew, after so many years watching racing, that I had seen the greatest horse I was ever likely to see in my lifetime.

I'd seen him as a top 2yo win at Donny and the Dewhurst, but those races were different, a precocious kid, beating the other kids.

Guineas Day the world changed for me watching that race. It was 'goosebumps city' seeing him stride clear so early over a mile.

The noises of shock in that crowd after the start were electrifying.
                        "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

I don’t see it mentioned on the forum much but do any of you watch Off The Fence on YouTube every Tuesday evening with Vanessa Ryle, Barry Gerahty and Tony Keenan? It’s another Cheltenham geared programme so a fair bit of repetition but I think I enjoy it so much because Vanessa Ryle is so attractive, I think Tony Keenan is mesmerised by her too as he doesn’t blink during the show nor interrupt but just stares like me!! It is a good show, I think Keenan is one of the best in the business, he’s really assured and knowledgeable. Barry good too, he comes across as a sound individual.
                          I've been watching it recent'ly T.K.P , really enjoy it , a good watch.
                          And..... Looking forward to 'Mayo's Millions @ Too .

Comment

• Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post

I was a Newmarket Annual Member in those days.

It sends a shiver down my spine to remember watching that 2000 Guineas from the Head-On Grandstand just past the winning post, looking down the course.

It was the first day that I knew, after so many years watching racing, that I had seen the greatest horse I was ever likely to see in my lifetime.

I'd seen him as a top 2yo win at Donny and the Dewhurst, but those races were different, a precocious kid, beating the other kids.

Guineas Day the world changed for me watching that race. It was 'goosebumps city' seeing him stride clear so early over a mile.

The noises of shock in that crowd after the start were electrifying.
                            I must've watched it on YouTube a 100 times now, always cheers me up. The weird thing is when I watched it live I'd backed him to win guineas/Derby double and the first thing I thought at the time was 'fuck they're not going to send him over a mile and a half running like that'

Comment

It’s worth a watch. Barry like many ex jockeys has his thumb on the pulse of a few horses and doesn’t always have the latest information but does chip in with some interesting stuff on the skill and tactical side of racing and Tony is great for his information and ideas on Irish racing. Vanessa is gorgeous so I miss a lot of what she says as I just watch her trying not to blink too much like The Sandalot kids when they’re in the pool watching the life guard apply sun cream to herself
                              Wendy Peffercorn!! Haha loved that movie!

Yeah your woman Vanessa is a bit of alright!

Comment

I love listening to Keenan, even though I think his tipping column has a wretched record (I think he got a donut at the fest last year)

Ryle is great to listen to, but those posh lasses, yeah they like a bit of rough on a night out but they'll drop you for the first guy who speaks in RP and is first in line to inherit an estate (my university experience left quite the mark, can you tell?)

Comment

Working...
                                X