Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
https://pay.anna.money/p/fjforumslimited
See more
See less

General Chat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by nortonscoin200 View Post

    An overwhelming majority of people on this forum choose not to use the c-word on these pages.

    Why?

    Probably because they consider it inappropriate to use such language on this platform.

    I was wrong to suggest it should be banned. It's not a big problem.

    But I believe I'm right in saying this forum is not the right place to use the c-word. It's not a good look.

    The Racing Post, ITV Racing, Timeform, the racing pages of every national newspaper and magazine all seem to get by perfectly well without using the c-word.

    We are obviously not in their league.

    But the forum has an image to protect .

    And I think it's true to say we want to earn the respect of punters who might be interested in joining.

    So as individuals we have a shared responsibility to keep within certain boundaries.

    Take it or leave it - that's where I stand.








    I agree with your general sentiments norton's.
    And respect your viewpoint.

    I personally have issues with people and organisations that pander to the conservative element that cannot differentiate between a word, and the context in which it's used.
    So the idea of banning a word seems ridiculous to me.

    I'm far more interested in the meaning and intent of what someone is saying, than the specific words they may use.

    With regards earning respect from potential members then this will depend upon what they value themselves, and this is the same with regards boundaries.
    Both will differ from person to person. Just like with you and me.

    I'll try and use ****'s when I remember, as it's not too much to ask, if some people are going to get upset or irked by a written word used in a harmless context.

    But I can't promise.



    Comment


    • Originally posted by Sprinter Sacre View Post

      Thanks! Going to look small when Pure Genius does the business next year.
      What's the angle with Pure Genius? Because I don't see any, myself? (not that that's unusual )

      Comment


      • Originally posted by nortonscoin200 View Post

        An overwhelming majority of people on this forum choose not to use the c-word on these pages.

        Why?

        Probably because they consider it inappropriate to use such language on this platform.

        I was wrong to suggest it should be banned. It's not a big problem.

        But I believe I'm right in saying this forum is not the right place to use the c-word. It's not a good look.

        The Racing Post, ITV Racing, Timeform, the racing pages of every national newspaper and magazine all seem to get by perfectly well without using the c-word.

        We are obviously not in their league.

        But the forum has an image to protect .

        And I think it's true to say we want to earn the respect of punters who might be interested in joining.

        So as individuals we have a shared responsibility to keep within certain boundaries.

        Take it or leave it - that's where I stand.
        I really, really hate the C word. I don't use it, don't like hearing it, just find it a bit vulgar. But if I see its use I maybe roll my eyes at worst, then move on, like an adult, because that's how the World works. Bit embarrassing the meal you're making of it tbh. There's no law against its use, people policing language makes me cringe.

        Comment


        • No need to police or ban language. Context is everything!!

          3.04 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccyf-1TiN7M

          I became to think of it not so bad because my Irish friends used it as an affectionate term

          It was affectionate!!!!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by charlie View Post
            No need to police or ban language. Context is everything!!

            3.04 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccyf-1TiN7M

            I became to think of it not so bad because my Irish friends used it as an affectionate term

            It was affectionate!!!!


            Funny that cos where I'm from it's used for both obviously, but very often in an affectionate manner.

            For example a Daft C**t is the equivalent of a Silly Sausage.

            This worked when explaining it to my daughter, but her teacher wasn't so sure

            The same teacher she told the joke to about Why the washing machine was laughing ?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Quevega View Post



              Funny that cos where I'm from it's used for both obviously, but very often in an affectionate manner.

              For example a Daft C**t is the equivalent of a Silly Sausage.

              This worked when explaining it to my daughter, but her teacher wasn't so sure

              The same teacher she told the joke to about Why the washing machine was laughing ?
              Big time. In most instances 'daft c**t' and 'silly c**t' are harmless, and it really is just the equivalent of a 'silly sausage'.

              Painfully obvious when its used with malice, and I don't think I've ever seen that on here either.

              I find the policing of language ten times more offensive than the actual language being criticised, and I get called a c*nt on the regs

              Comment


              • Where i come from its a term of endearment..when i used to see my nan and grandad..my nan used to say ‘cor your a handsome cunt’ id go ‘cheers nan, wheres grandad the cunt’

                Comment


                • Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post

                  What's the angle with Pure Genius? Because I don't see any, myself? (not that that's unusual )
                  I’m almost certain TW was interviewed about him this season, well last year now and he mentioned about him being a proper stayer COD.

                  Does anyone know where the quote or interview came from?

                  Does

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Craigy14 View Post

                    I’m almost certain TW was interviewed about him this season, well last year now and he mentioned about him being a proper stayer COD.

                    Does anyone know where the quote or interview came from?

                    Does
                    He did. https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/...82454236642623

                    Quoted in Jan 2021 saying, "He could be a horse for the four miler next year".

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Ray View Post
                      Where i come from its a term of endearment..when i used to see my nan and grandad..my nan used to say ‘cor your a handsome cunt’ id go ‘cheers nan, wheres grandad the cunt’
                      Is that true Ray? I'm laughing my head off. It can't possibly be true, can it?!

                      Comment


                      • It sure is, that was genuinely my nan all my aunties are the same..what is wierd is if they was to call me a prick instead if be offended!

                        Comment


                        • Cant believe its been a week now, a week after one of the best (IMO) festival I've engaged with

                          This is the first time I've picked up my laptop for a while, and taking a look at the weekend's racing. Yeah, its crap but I have a few free bets I need to use up and as its a quiet weekend I think I'm going to have a fee fun bets

                          Bring on Chelt 2022

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Ray View Post
                            It sure is, that was genuinely my nan all my aunties are the same..what is wierd is if they was to call me a prick instead if be offended!
                            that’s brilliant Ray!!

                            Comment


                            • I've just got a quick query about the Cheltenham 2022 Antepost Diaries thread (apologies if this isn't the correct place for it) - do people usually differentiate between bets made with their own money and those made using free bets in these posts?

                              I always try and milk as many free bets as possible over the course of the year and put all of these towards my Cheltenham fund, but this probably results in a slightly different strategy than it would do if I was just staking my own money (and will obviously have an effect on the P&L at the end of it too), so thought that it might be useful if these were identified.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Block 205 View Post
                                I've just got a quick query about the Cheltenham 2022 Antepost Diaries thread (apologies if this isn't the correct place for it) - do people usually differentiate between bets made with their own money and those made using free bets in these posts?

                                I always try and milk as many free bets as possible over the course of the year and put all of these towards my Cheltenham fund, but this probably results in a slightly different strategy than it would do if I was just staking my own money (and will obviously have an effect on the P&L at the end of it too), so thought that it might be useful if these were identified.
                                This is also how I approach it and would feel like a bit of a fraud having an ante post diary with crap loads of free bets in it with zero evidence of how I earned them hahaha

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X