Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Mares Chase 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Topofthegame2021 View Post

Ruby plays it like he knows nothing and it’s all up to Willie but he would know a great deal, and never gives us any sign. That pisses me off
    Yep. It was good of him to let us know The Big Getaway had an op a week ago, I'll give him that.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobos View Post

Yep. It was good of him to let us know The Big Getaway had an op a week ago, I'll give him that.....
      Guessing you’re being sarcastic - shocking how we have to find out he’s OFTS in the entries tbh

Comment

• Originally posted by Topofthegame2021 View Post

Guessing you’re being sarcastic - shocking how we have to find out he’s OFTS in the entries tbh
        Agree, they knew what they were doing. It'll never change though. Punters will always be the last to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by jono View Post
          I definitely see this being Benies last season. Though i'm coming from a position of thinking she would go to the Mares chase since the summer. I have started to doubt this being the case. If she comes here, it's almost certain that she has one final run, at Cheltenham and they call it quits from there, given she'd likely need plenty of time between runs over fences as they have highlighted previously. There's a grade 3 Mares chase at Fairyhouse in April but outside of that, she'd have no Mares option at Punchestown over fences.

Where as staying over hurdles, would mean they could likely get 2 or 3 more runs into her, all being well across Cheltenham, Punchestown and importantly the French Champion Hurdle. Connections have said it would have been her target last season once again to try ad follow up her 2019 win. They have history in the race (Thousand Stars) and I could see them wanting to have that as her swansong myself. For all Cheltenham is considered the be-all and end-all.
          Why couldnt she take in the Mares chase and then switch back to hurdles if they fancied a crack at punchestown/french champion?
          its not uncommon to see horses switch between disciplines

Comment

Agree, they knew what they were doing. It'll never change though. Punters will always be the last to know.
            Yeah watched a clip from years ago and Ruby was basically saying he doesn’t care for the punter. Arguing that punters make bookies rich not making horse racing rich.

clearly he hasn’t seen some if the diaries on here... #bookiebashers

Comment

• Originally posted by KingSprinterSacre View Post

Why couldnt she take in the Mares chase and then switch back to hurdles if they fancied a crack at punchestown/french champion?
              Id think that's almost certainly what would happen

Comment

Because they've said her jumping technique means she practically injures herself...

Comment

• Three seasons ago, Benies season was the three hurdles races in Spring, concluding in France.
                  Last season, they came out a month early and then lost the Mares hurdle.
                  I'm pretty sure they've simply reverted to Plan A.

The chase is an option I reckon, but the confirmation she starts her season 'if well', at Cheltenham.
                  Makes the Mares hurdle more likely. IMO.
                  Perversely, he may opt for the chase if Honeysuckle goes champion. Or perhaps the opposite.
                  Who knows.
                  That bit of money was interesting but could easily have been punter money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quevega View Post
                    Three seasons ago, Benies season was the three hurdles races in Spring, concluding in France.
                    Last season, they came out a month early and then lost the Mares hurdle.
                    I'm pretty sure they've simply reverted to Plan A.

The chase is an option I reckon, but the confirmation she starts her season 'if well', at Cheltenham.
                    Makes the Mares hurdle more likely. IMO.
                    Perversely, he may opt for the chase if Honeysuckle goes champion. Or perhaps the opposite.
                    Who knows.
                    That bit of money was interesting but could easily have been punter money.
                    If Honeysuckle and Concertista both go Mares Hurdle do you think the Stayers could enter their thoughts ? Her best form is over 3 miles and she would be getting 7lbs . With her allowance she will officially have 1lb in hand on Paisley Park.

Comment

If Honeysuckle and Concertista both go Mares Hurdle do you think the Stayers could enter their thoughts ? Her best form is over 3 miles and she would be getting 7lbs . With her allowance she will officially have 1lb in hand on Paisley Park.
                      Unless that race cuts up, I'd say it's by far the least likely, but you never know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quevega View Post

Unless that race cuts up, I'd say it's by far the least likely, but you never know.
                        So do you think she'll have a better chance of beating Honeysuckle than Paisley or are you just thinking places and prize money ?
                        Last edited by Lobos; 22 January 2021, 08:35 AM.

Comment

So do you think she'll have a better chance of beating Honeysuckle than Paisley or are you just thinking places and prize money ?
                          Thinking more about the trainer and his way of thinking.
                          She's entered in 3 races (or is likely to be), and he'll see what the other races are all looking like nearer the time. And what else he's got.
                          But all things being equal and nothing much changes then I personally think we'll see her in the mares hurdle again.

To answer your question, I think she'd have a better chance in the mares, just because the strength in depth is not there.
                          The stayers has more horses in it that could win, given differing circumstances and how the race pans out.
                          The mares not so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by jack1092 View Post

Because they've said her jumping technique means she practically injures herself...
                            I dont think they ever said that, if thats the case therr is zero chance of her being entered in a mares chase never mind run.

It was more like she is easier to keep sound over long term back hurdling. We are talking 1 chase here, not a season of chasing

Comment

• I still maintain her best two runs in her life have been beyond 2 1/2 miles. She's run 3 miles twice. Once beating the 'unbeatable' French horse by a staggering 6 1/2 lengths and then smashing Stayers Hurdle winner Penhill 21 lengths at Gowran. Will they be brave and let her have a go at her optimum distance at Cheltenham like they did with Annie? I to doubt it but perhaps they should.

Comment

I dont think they ever said that, if thats the case therr is zero chance of her being entered in a mares chase never mind run.

It was more like she is easier to keep sound over long term back hurdling. We are talking 1 chase here, not a season of chasing

Rich Ricci said: "Benie Des Dieux jumps a fence brilliantly but the problem she has is when she jumps, she puts so much pressure on her hind-quarters and has the equivalent of a muscle tear.

I mean, they've only said it quite a few times....

Plus "a season of chasing" when you are debuting in March doesn't exactly leave much of a season left......

Comment

Working...
                                X