Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Mares Chase 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Craigy14 View Post
    Would 2m4f not be a bit on the sharp side for Cabaret Queen?

She’s predominantly raced over 3m plus last couple of years. I’d fancy a younger novice over her I think, she’d be 9 next festival and I wouldn’t have her in a BDD category of class mare (will be 10).

He’ll have numerous mares to throw at this race so I wouldn’t be too taken by which ones he mentions early on as this will change like the weather imo.
    Agree with all of this. I'd be very disappointed if she's good enough to win this.

Comment

• I cashed out on my Benie roll up for the Mares Chase (64/1!!!) after listening to Patrick the Politician Mullins interview on Monday. I’m gutted, what a moron. From a selfish point of view I hope Benie does stay over hurdles. I’m not that knowledgeable about older mares? The old mare I’m married too is limited to 2 gears but still has a powerful kick & head butt. She’d struggle over 2 miles these days, she struggles to get out of bed in the morning but from what I can gather like Laurina she’s benefit from a new trainer and jockey

Comment

• She is interesting for the race. She's obviously not as good as BDD but you might not need to be for this race with no standout at the moment.

2m4 is probably on the short side but with her running style from the front she could easily run into a place. She did run very poorly in the Kim Muir but she hit the first and made 2 other big mistakes and never really got going that day. She was running a very big race when falling in the paddy power at xmas. She was also sent over to Newbury at the start of the season. Looking back on previous years Mullins doesn't just send them over to make up the numbers.

Think the plan is to go to Clonmel next for a listed chase. This run out of handicap company should tell us where she stands. She is a good horse on her day especially if she can get into a good rhythm upfront and could be hard to catch. I think everyone would be surprised if she was Mullins main fancy on the day though but at 33s and previously 40s with cash out could easily get to see how she does out of handicap company and get out without much loss.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King Pimm View Post
          The old mare I’m married too is limited to 2 gears but still has a powerful kick & head butt. She’d struggle over 2 miles these days, she struggles to get out of bed in the morning but from what I can gather like Laurina she’s benefit from a new trainer and jockey
          Sometimes a short term stint at another yard just sharpens then up a bit, change of scenery and all that...

Comment

• Originally posted by The King Pimm View Post
            I cashed out on my Benie roll up for the Mares Chase (64/1!!!) after listening to Patrick the Politician Mullins interview on Monday. I’m gutted, what a moron. From a selfish point of view I hope Benie does stay over hurdles. I’m not that knowledgeable about older mares? The old mare I’m married too is limited to 2 gears but still has a powerful kick & head butt. She’d struggle over 2 miles these days, she struggles to get out of bed in the morning but from what I can gather like Laurina she’s benefit from a new trainer and jockey
            Hahaha quality! That did make me laugh out loud!

Comment

• Anyone concerned there was no mention of Elimay from Mullins? I've backed her as I think her forms better than Salsarettas and she's twice the price.

Comment

• Also from Mullins today

All three would definitely be in the mix," he confirmed. "Going chasing with Benie Des Dieux is always a consideration. Every year, at this stage of the year, fences are an option for her. It's not that we said we're not going over fences – it's just that we went down the hurdle route as the seasons progressed for different reasons. I'll run her in whichever race I'd be hoping that she might go closest in."

Comment

• Mullins wont make up his mind until the week before Cheltenham. Could easily see her going there without a run. Her jumping has always been great. Without a race in public anyway could easily run her in a schooling race at home before. Obviously he would like to get a run into her but she will be 10 and id say he would be delighted if he could get her there for any race in top shape.

If either Laurina or Stormy Ireland are fav for the race I can see him much more likely BDD switching to the Mares Chase especially if Honeysuckle keeps being as dominant. Id say SI ran below herself at Cheltenham and if she hadn't of run id say a lot more would be looking forward to her going chasing.

He switched BDD back for the mares hurdle after Apples Jade was fav for the race and had been taken out of his yard. (could be numerous other reasons obviously). No way Mullins would want to loose the first Mares Chase to a horse he used to train. Obviously only guessing but id say the competitor in him would be sick at the thought. I'm sure he would also like to get Honeysuckle back but that would look a much harder challenge and could face her at other times in the season. The mares chase could easily look there for the taking the week before Cheltenham. RR loves a winner at Cheltenham and doesn't care too much if its the easiest race of the week. As it has been said before this bet is perfect for free bets. PP have now cut her tp 10/1, not that they know or Mullins knows yet where she will run.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurdles or chasing View Post
                    Also from Mullins today

All three would definitely be in the mix," he confirmed. "Going chasing with Benie Des Dieux is always a consideration. Every year, at this stage of the year, fences are an option for her. It's not that we said we're not going over fences – it's just that we went down the hurdle route as the seasons progressed for different reasons. I'll run her in whichever race I'd be hoping that she might go closest in."
                    From that quote I'd make the Mares Chase favourite. It's the softest target by far.
                    Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more I sweat, the luckier I get.

Comment

• Originally posted by taylorch1990 View Post
                      Anyone concerned there was no mention of Elimay from Mullins? I've backed her as I think her forms better than Salsarettas and she's twice the price.
                      I didn't think of that. You would have thought she would be the number 1 contender at present having arguably the best form currently in the book. I think the racing post will do a more in-depth (hopefully) horse by horse preview in the coming weeks. Hopefully that will prove the horses well being. He didn't mention Elfile either who is the horse I am most interested in.

Comment

• Ye he also doesn't seem too concerned with her injuring herself jumping fences like he had previously suggested

Comment

• Originally posted by Spectre View Post
                          From that quote I'd make the Mares Chase favourite. It's the softest target by far.
                          I agree that him not ruling BDD out by default increases the chances of her running here BUT the markets haven't moved at all - surely if this was the plan the markets would have had some movement?

For me, this is just another classic case of ambiguity from Willie.

Not yet convinced this will be her race.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardy Eustace View Post
                            I agree that him not ruling BDD out by default increases the chances of her running here BUT the markets haven't moved at all - surely if this was the plan the markets would have had some movement?

Yep, he was just musing. which is perfectly normal.

I think they'd consider it for her, but it's less likely if she's not had a pop round fences somewhere else first.
                            And like he said, it'll depend on which race he thinks she'd have the best chance in nearer the time.
                            The romantic side of him, and wanting to win the first ever mares chase with a horse like Benie could sway him though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardy Eustace View Post

PP have shortened he twice in recent days maybe weeks not sure exactly but she is 10/1 now and she was 14s. Again it doesn't mean much as no plan has been made where she is going
                              Last edited by Hurdles or chasing; 8 October 2020, 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurdles or chasing View Post
                                PP have shortened he twice in recent days maybe weeks not sure exactly but she is 10/1 now and she was 14s. Again it doesn't mean much as no plan has been made where she is going
                                Good spot this, cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X