Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
https://pay.anna.money/p/fjforumslimited
See more
See less

Mares Chase 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mares Chase 2021

EDITED..... Race Conditions

Couldnt see a thread for this anywhere, so lets get started. Love it or hate it this race is coming so we may aswell try and find the winner.... (im joking, nobody loves it)

Grade 2 over about 2miles 4 furlongs

No other details have been announced yet, so we cant get too stuck into this, these are the current market leaders -

Salsaretta - best price 7/1
    7y/o trained by Willie Mullins, owned by the Riccis
    Has run 4 times over fences, winning all 4. Altho going off at 8/11 1/5 and 2/5 its fair to say she hasn't beaten much. Officially rated 148, with a best rpr of 150. She's clearly talented and done everything asked of her, plus you would think that this is the race she'll be aimed at, so has alot of positives. Her price is nothing to get excited about tho.

Honeysuckle - best price 8/1
    Rated 158, best RPR of 160, but is sticking to hurdles so lets move on...

Put the kettle On - best price 10/1
    6y/o trained by henry de bromhead. Has run 6 times over fences, winning 5, including the arkle. Official rating of 155, top rpr of 159. Surely too good to run in a grade 2? Things would have to go badly wrong for her to end up here i feel. Not one to be interested in at 10/1 at this stage

Elimay - best price 12/1
    6y/o trained by Willie Mullins owned by JP, official rating 147, top rpr of 148. 2 runs, 2 wins over fences. Her form of her grade 2 win at Thurles is arguably as good as anything Salsaretta has achieved, and a year younger so mayeb has slightly more improvement to come?

Elfile - best price 12/1
    6y/o trained by Willie Mullins owned by Ken Alexander. Has never run over fences so a big unknown there. Chased home Honeysuckle and Benie in the mares hurdle beaten 6.5 lengths, which is obviously very solid form. Officially rated 151, top rpr of 149, would put her right in the picture if she goes here, and if she can jump a fence.

Benie des Dieux - best price 14/1
    The fact she's best price 14/1 with paddy power says it all. She's not running here. Far too good for a grade 2, move on.

Lady Buttons - best price 20/1
    10y/o trained by Philip Kirby. Well held by Elfile on hurdle form, plus she's getting on abit. But her chase form is actually pretty decent, OR of 150, top RPR of 158. Beat Happy Diva in a Doncaster Listed race, which is nothing to get too excited about. Overall shes pretty exposed, if she wins it'll be disappointing.

Happy Diva - best price 20/1
    9y/o trained by Kerry Lee, official rating of 153, top rpr of 154. 19 runs over fences 5 wins, an exposed sort but the 2nd to Simply the Betts in the Brown Advisory is solid festival form. In fact her last four runs at cheltenham reads 2122. Rated 153 her highest ever rating, at 9 years old you wouldnt think there would be much improvement left in her. Would they be tempted to get her dropped and try and target a handicap again?

If you think the Mares chase is going to follow the same pattern as the mares hurdle, then there's only one real starting point, back the Mullins runners. With the limited information we currently have, i would be tempted by Elimay at 12s, and Happy Diva even tho beaten by Lady buttons at Doncaster, she seems to improve when at cheltenham, so maybe a small each way on her
    Last edited by Kevloaf; 6 January 2021, 10:20 PM.

Elfile going for this race according to connections. Salsaretta would not be unbeaten but for her opponent Tintangle falling 2 out in her last race. Tintangle may well go for this as well.

Comment

Elimay has rinsed Tintangle twice in her first 2 chases, by c100 lengths in total.
      "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Its difficult to see why salsaretta is 5points shorter than elimay

Comment

I agree with that completely.
          "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Robin De Carlow - best price 20/1 is a possible target for this race . A lot was thought of her last season (2019/20) but injury came . She will be 8 come the festival, if Willie gets her to her best she could be a good each bet .

Comment

Originally posted by BlueGrattan View Post
              Robin De Carlow - best price 20/1 is a possible target for this race . A lot was thought of her last season (2019/20) but injury came . She will be 8 come the festival, if Willie gets her to her best she could be a good each bet .
              I backed Robin de Carlow a while back , Blue Grattan , But hearing about.
              an injury , i cashed out . happily go in again if this race is the Target.
              and she's recovered . Sure Archie will keep us informed..

Comment

Nice write up a9. I haven't had a cash bet yet on the race but the 5 on my short list are Elimay, Elifie, Happy Diva, La bague au roi and Dame De Compagnie and will probably get the first 3 onside before/at the start of the season. I am on the fence with LBAR and am waiting for news on what the plan will be for DDC as she could go mares hurdle, handicaps or chasing.

Willie Mullins is quite rightly top of the tree when it comes to training Mares but Nicky Henderson is also a brilliant trainer of them too. If he was to send DDC over fences, she would be very interesting for this, she has very good cheltenham form, 2 mile 4 is her optimum distance and at 20/1 she is definitely one to keep an eye on as would be half that price IMO if Nicky was to come out and say she'll be sent chasing. If he did I would probably back her now.

Nicky did say in his Coral Cup post race interview that: "She is a lovely, big mare and she would jump a fence, but she is tough and I think that is the main thing, you have to be in races like that."

So not conclusive by any means (and to add a word of caution she has had her niggles before) but it is clearly is in the back of his mind...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/cheltenham-...nie-coral-cup/

Comment

Re Elimay and Elfile. Both those can be backed with William Hill TWAR at the same prices as quoted for them in the Mares Chase market. Just some cover should they stay hurdling and go Mares Hurdle or Handicaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardy Eustace View Post
                    Nice write up a9. I haven't had a cash bet yet on the race but the 5 on my short list are Elimay, Elifie, Happy Diva, La bague au roi and Dame De Compagnie and will probably get the first 3 onside before/at the start of the season. I am on the fence with LBAR and am waiting for news on what the plan will be for DDC as she could go mares hurdle, handicaps or chasing.

Willie Mullins is quite rightly top of the tree when it comes to training Mares but Nicky Henderson is also a brilliant trainer of them too. If he was to send DDC over fences, she would be very interesting for this, she has very good cheltenham form, 2 mile 4 is her optimum distance and at 20/1 she is definitely one to keep an eye on as would be half that price IMO if Nicky was to come out and say she'll be sent chasing. If he did I would probably back her now.

Nicky did say in his Coral Cup post race interview that: "She is a lovely, big mare and she would jump a fence, but she is tough and I think that is the main thing, you have to be in races like that."

So not conclusive by any means (and to add a word of caution she has had her niggles before) but it is clearly is in the back of his mind...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/cheltenham-...nie-coral-cup/
                    Thinking about it, with Honey likely to turn up again in the Mares Hurdle, this could twist Hendos arm to send DDC chasing or down the handicap route again. All very intriguing .

Comment

Originally posted by Lobos View Post
                      Thinking about it, with Honey likely to turn up again in the Mares Hurdle, this could twist Hendos arm to send DDC chasing or down the handicap route again. All very intriguing .
                      I don't think Honeysuckle will be part of the conversation between Henderson and the JP team.

She 8lbs higher than she was going into the Coral Cup. I'd have her favourite too turn up there again as I'm cynical.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                        I don't think Honeysuckle will be part of the conversation between Henderson and the JP team.

She 8lbs higher than she was going into the Coral Cup. I'd have her favourite too turn up there again as I'm cynical.
                        Very possible. But then JP probably won't have a shortage of coral cup candidates on his books but how many mares does he have who could run in the Mares Chase? I can only think of DDC (he may have more though).

Comment

An extra 8lbs wouldn't have stopped her in this year's race. Repeat is possible .

Comment

Originally posted by Hardy Eustace View Post
                            Very possible. But then JP probably won't have a shortage of coral cup candidates on his books but how many mares does he have who could run in the Mares Chase? I can only think of DDC (he may have more though).
                            Elimay?

I don't think JP is desperate to win the Mares Chase in particular at the expense of other races.

DDC would be a novice too, so I can't see her running here really, just doesn't fit the owners MO, in my opinion.

Originally posted by Lobos View Post
                            An extra 8lbs wouldn't have stopped her in this year's race. Repeat is possible .

Yes that was my initial thought on seeing her rating. I think they could probably shave a few lbs off too with a few runs at the wrong trip

Comment

Elimay?

I don't think JP is desperate to win the Mares Chase in particular at the expense of other races.

DDC would be a novice too, so I can't see her running here really, just doesn't fit the owners MO, in my opinion.

Yes that was my initial thought on seeing her rating. I think they could probably shave a few lbs off too with a few runs at the wrong trip
                              Very true. The handicaps is probably the most likely option then but DDC will definitely be on my list should she go over fences. The novice thing doesn't really worry me, maybe it should, but this isn't going to be a top-class race and providing Elifie, DDC or whichever novice goes chasing shows that they can jump and travel in their prep races, that will be good enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X