Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Supreme/Ballymore/Albert Bartlett - Novice Hurdles 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post

Is there likely to be a culling of such offers then robith ?
    As I understand it, current govt thinking is centred heavily on advertising and offers/incentives.

You may have noticed Ladbrokes, Coral and Bill Hills move to more "brand" led advertising, and product features - i.e creating a connection with the brand, a feeling it "for people like me", over lots of "offer offer offer" stuff. In addition to putting 25% of advertising behind safer gambling messages. Feeling is amongst bookies that's what's coming.

That depends on the government getting round to it though. Regardless of political opinion, the current government despite having a huge majority is borderline incompetent. They've no agenda set from their leader (who spends large parts of meetings derailing them to make jokes and Classics references) and they seems to not even understand how to utilise the power they have practically

Comment

• OK thanks robith, I wasn't aware reviews were looking at the offers bookies apply, I know the 'VIP' treatment was to be looked at, think there was a Ladbrokes horror story where one client was given hospitality at several big meetings as well as countless free bets as he regularly lost, totalling hundreds of thousands I think.
      Any review starts with the driver of improving protection for customers so I don't see the link with reducing offers that are beneficial to punters, I;m sure there's a bigger picture I'm missing.
      Interesting to see your comments though and will be keen to see any updates...

Comment

• Originally posted by robith View Post

They've done it for a few years, but the world as it is I wouldn't be banking on anything, especially as govt is due to announce a review of the Gambling Act soon.
        The first year they did it was Champagne Fevers Supreme win so it's been going a good few years

Comment

OK thanks robith, I wasn't aware reviews were looking at the offers bookies apply, I know the 'VIP' treatment was to be looked at, think there was a Ladbrokes horror story where one client was given hospitality at several big meetings as well as countless free bets as he regularly lost, totalling hundreds of thousands I think.
          Any review starts with the driver of improving protection for customers so I don't see the link with reducing offers that are beneficial to punters, I;m sure there's a bigger picture I'm missing.
          Well I guess big issue is the government is weighing up robust harm reduction modelling theory, with what makes middle class people grasp their pearls, and siding with the latter.
          That said the bookie lobby has got a lot of clout and a lot of ex MPs working for them now too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post

The first year they did it was Champagne Fevers Supreme win so it's been going a good few years
            Beautiful moment for many that FM, smallest Supreme field for many years when a number of horses pulled out on the weekend before the Supreme and they had already gone to print with their 8 (I'm sure it was 8) place boost, only 12 went to post and that included a couple of 250/1 shots, the Hills shop on course had queues out the door with everyone backing the 16/1 and 25/1 shots (whoever they were), I imagine Hills got properly done that year...

Comment

Visually yes very impressive but I hate these small field crawls that end up a 2f sprint, for me it only proves the winner was able to accelerate better than the other two in the ground.
              Personally I couldn’t back him until he’s gone racing pace and maintained that impressiveness...
              I like him, but it was an absolute joke of a race, run at a track which I am more often than not inclined to ignore for Festival purposes. I don't think Sandown is anywhere near the guide it used to be. They barely have enough decent National Hunt races to make up two days racing a year and it is a very poor spectacle watching tired horses slogging up the hill.

Comment

Beautiful moment for many that FM, smallest Supreme field for many years when a number of horses pulled out on the weekend before the Supreme and they had already gone to print with their 8 (I'm sure it was 8) place boost, only 12 went to post and that included a couple of 250/1 shots, the Hills shop on course had queues out the door with everyone backing the 16/1 and 25/1 shots (whoever they were), I imagine Hills got properly done that year...
                That's exactly right Ista and it will have cost them a fortune. It would have been difficult to lose on the race

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post

Was that the year Dodging Bullets was unplaced?

Goes on to win a QMCC

Actually just looked and checkled, WH were just 5 places that year... 8/1 each way, came 9th of 12!

BetVictor did stake back as a free bet if you don't make a profit on the supreme.

In 2015 WH were also 'money back if it loses as a free bet'

2019 was the first I can actually see 7 places, but could have happened before, I just didn't use it (or record it?!)
                  Last edited by Kevloaf; 4 December 2020, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Gloire Dathan opened up 3/1 (PP) and Manitopark 11/10 (365)

Comment

OK thanks robith, I wasn't aware reviews were looking at the offers bookies apply, I know the 'VIP' treatment was to be looked at, think there was a Ladbrokes horror story where one client was given hospitality at several big meetings as well as countless free bets as he regularly lost, totalling hundreds of thousands I think.
                      Nanny state mentality would see offers as temptation to bet more. This mentality assumes everyone has a problem or that gambling is bad for you full stop.

The government stopped king size Mars bars for Fucks sake.

And you have to get Special Brew on the black market

and now there’s pot noodles with no pots !!
                      kind of ok with that one though.

Comment

• Bitterly disappointing debut from forged in fire there, looked to be struggling to keep pace from a long way

Comment

• I've not heard anything regarding the wellbeing or otherwise of ferny hollow, but is the current betfair exchange picture suggestive of something amiss? Just asking as its not something that I have a great deal of experience with. Thanks for any advice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guinness Village View Post
                            I've not heard anything regarding the wellbeing or otherwise of ferny hollow, but is the current betfair exchange picture suggestive of something amiss? Just asking as its not something that I have a great deal of experience with. Thanks for any advice.
                            Rumours circulating of a fractured Pelvis. Only rumours as of now thou.

Comment

• Originally posted by Outlaw View Post

Rumours circulating of a fractured Pelvis. Only rumours as of now thou.
                              Wow. That would be some sick rumour if not true. Could be life ending injury.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobos View Post

Wow. That would be some sick rumour if not true. Could be life ending injury.
                                Behave ! A fractured Pelivs isn't like a broken leg Lobos Ffs!

Comment

Working...
                                X