Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
https://pay.anna.money/p/fjforumslimited
See more
See less

BBC Panorama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlie View Post
    The programme should have been called 'disgraceful abattoir practices'. Instead, the BCC took singular horrific events at one abattoir and attempted to stain the whole of racing. It didn't work, but questions do need to be answered. The sad thing about a horse like Vyta Du Roc, is if someone with a profile said his fate is sealed unless we come up with 20 grand to rehome him I reckon they'd have collected that in a day, without breaking stride. I certainly would have contributed. My hope is owners wake up to what's happening and put there money where there mouth is.
    Yep, agree charlie.

And your second point is interesting, I don’t for one moment think the likes of Munir/Suede, Giggs, Elliott or Cromwell believe their horses end up in abattoirs, my guess is there are agents/consultants who look after that side of the business and whose behaviours aren’t interrogated or regulated enough.

Elliott is an easy target now, BBC and Animal Aid were very happy showing the photo multiple times to emphasise their point, I think this is something he simply has to get used to…

Comment

I also meant to add that aside from the money the BHA contributes towards retired horse welfare if there was better understanding and advertising then as charlie suggests I think people would find plenty of backing.
      Add a quid to every racecourse ticket or better still get betfair to cough up given their vast profits from the sport.

I think what scares people with retired horses are potentially horrific vets fees, if there was access to free/subsidised vets practices more people I’m sure would happily take them on.
      I’d happily buy a field, build a stable block and have half a dozen….

Comment

It was a difficult watch but as many have stated already - it shed more light on an horrific abattoir than the "dark side of horse racing" that the title suggested. For us racing fans it's fairly easy to separate how much the racing types played a roll in this but for the non-racing fans it'll just get people's backs up, particularly against Gordon Elliott who seemed to be the main target of this episode.

That said, it was sad to see Vyta du Rocs life ending the way it did, won me plenty over the years so it was a shock when I saw the horse.

Give it a few weeks and something different will be on the agenda.

Comment

The programme was sensationalistic, and misleading. Or a load of bollocks, depending on where you come from.
          Even if they had a point they struggled to make it.
          Just stating facts and showing footage with little or no context, explanations or balance.

"The horse looks scared" - you don't fucking say.

They may as well have shown footage of vets putting dogs down every day, and called it the Dark side of walking dogs.
          Not many animals go skipping into the Vets singing Oh what a lovely day.

And the whole, this horse used to be trained by someone famous and won this money and ran in this race, and now it's being put down sob story (without offering a solid reason why it was being put down, and why it had been sent to that particular abbatoir)

Did seem suspicious though, that most of the horses seemed to have been shipped in (allegedly) from Ireland.
          And the travelling with an injury seemed a bit off, but like the rest of the programme it was not adequately covered. I assume you can travel with horses who have a leg injury, otherwise how do they get them home from the racecourses !. Fucking tele-porting.

Comment

Originally posted by Quevega View Post
            The programme was sensationalistic, and misleading. Or a load of bollocks, depending on where you come from.
            Even if they had a point they struggled to make it.
            Just stating facts and showing footage with little or no context, explanations or balance.

"The horse looks scared" - you don't fucking say.

They may as well have shown footage of vets putting dogs down every day, and called it the Dark side of walking dogs.
            Not many animals go skipping into the Vets singing Oh what a lovely day.

And the whole, this horse used to be trained by someone famous and won this money and ran in this race, and now it's being put down sob story (without offering a solid reason why it was being put down, and why it had been sent to that particular abbatoir)

Did seem suspicious though, that most of the horses seemed to have been shipped in (allegedly) from Ireland.
            And the travelling with an injury seemed a bit off, but like the rest of the programme it was not adequately covered. I assume you can travel with horses who have a leg injury, otherwise how do they get them home from the racecourses !. Fucking tele-porting.
            The programme was definitely sensationalistic and misleading (BBC Panorama 101), but it shone a light on issues re horse welfare that have to be taken very seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheltenham Novice Chase View Post
              Interesting they didn’t mention the agents name.
              Looks to me like they have left the door open for a part two at some point. Agree with most it was about bad practices of an abattoir.

Comment

Like hare coursing in Ireland the anti’s won’t be happy till they’ve had an impact on horse racing on both sides of the Irish Sea. The current generation of woke idiots would make you sick!

As Ted Walsh once said if you want to see sunshine & rainbow’s stick to watching Tellybubby’s etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRock View Post
                  Like hare coursing in Ireland the anti’s won’t be happy till they’ve had an impact on horse racing on both sides of the Irish Sea. The current generation of woke idiots would make you sick!

As Ted Walsh once said if you want to see sunshine & rainbow’s stick to watching Tellybubby’s etc.
                  At work I've been told I'm no longer allowed to say that someone is 'on the sick'. I now have to say they are ill as 'on the sick' implies there's nothing wrong with them. I mean, ffs!

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post

At work I've been told I'm no longer allowed to say that someone is 'on the sick'. I now have to say they are ill as 'on the sick' implies there's nothing wrong with them. I mean, ffs!
                    That's really funny! Surely it's factual. Who is taking offense to things like that... somebody, somewhere, has taken offense to that, and then it's somebodies responsibility to pass that on

We had a zoom meeting yesterday on respect in the workplace. As a running joke in our office we say 'well done for doing your job' instead of embrace the social media culture of celebrating every single positive thing as if it's incredible and posting it all over Teams for likes.... but we have to be careful when a new-starter, starts.... in case we offend them.

Comment

Don't even start me off on political correctness. Im from the days when Mr Irishman wanted to be called Paddy and Mr Welshman wanted to be called Taff and so on. To put it my way its total bollox. And the course i had to do on sexually harassment was even worse. I said to the woman holding the course that a homosexual male i work with said to me i must be the nicest smelling person in work as he liked the different aftershaves i use and that some things needed to be taken the way there meant.

Comment

For anyone that listens to the final furlong podcast, there's a new episode today that is a rebuttal to the panorama programme. I use Spotify for my podcasts but I'm sure it's available elsewhere on the internet.
                        Last edited by That Horse; 22 July 2021, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Didn’t think the programme shone much light on the sport at all. Apart from saying we have a few horrible elements in the sport, in said little. Unless they can prove it’s systemic and don’t think it will impact racing to much. As always the sport can do better, and am we must when it comes to animal welfare. Just need some people running the sport who know what they are doing in all areas.

Comment

If your not pro vegan/vegetarianism, lgbt, gender fluidity, feminism & take offence to everything else your not cool anymore FM!

Old fashioned pastimes are easy targets unfortunately! My grandad would be turning in his grave.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRock View Post

If your not pro vegan/vegetarianism, lgbt, gender fluidity, feminism & take offence to everything else your not cool anymore FM!

Old fashioned pastimes are easy targets unfortunately! My grandad would be turning in his grave.
                              Yeh it seems like being offended is really fashionable these days, especially in young people. Jordan Peterson summed it up perfectly IMO. Young people have a ton of hurdles to overcome in life and its tough getting over them and making yourself a better person - rather than invest time and effort in exactly that, young people adopt pseudo-moralistic stances on large scale social issues so they look good to their friends and on social media. It's evident everywhere and its a shameful waste of productivity and time. 9 out of 10 people you challenge on any issue (climate change, racing, the economy, politics etc) often have very little idea what they're talking about and cannot articulate why they are 'angry' or 'marching' or 'protesting' etc - they just know they are angry. My grandad used to say 'life's not fair' when I complained and more often than not, thats exactly what I needed to hear.

Comment

Youth is wasted on the young and wisdom is wasted on the old.

Comment

Working...
                                X