Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2022 Novice Hurdle Division

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Novice Hurdle Division

All Supreme, Ballymore, A Bartlett and Triumph discussion...

I'm sure there are plenty of members with 101 potential horses for the novice hurdle division, but here are some of my early thoughts:

Sir Gerhard (WPM/Cheveley Park) - No shock to see the Champion Bumper winner stuck at the head of the Supreme market (it happens every season, without fail), and also close enough to the head of the Ballymore market too. Me, personally, I'd have preference for him going down the Ballymore route (probably his P2P background swaying my opinion here), despite being 7 years old next season, however he would obviously not look out of place in the Supreme either. Unfortunately he's not much of a price in either, so far out from the festival, and looks one to be booked for some multiples over anything else, unless you managed to snare the pre-festival prices about him.

Kilcruit (WPM/Miss M A Masterson) - Not too dissimilar to Sir Gerhard, above. Finished a close 2nd in the Champion Bumper means he finds himself short enough, and favourite, for the Ballymore, and also joint 2nd fav for the Supreme. He's also incredibly short for the Albert Bartlett too, a race, I believe, Tony Mullins mentioned he'd be the winner of next season. As with Sir Gerhard, he's in the right hands to make it to the top of the novice hurdle division, but ultimately it's a price thing for me currently, although I'd probably have a small stab at the last bit of the 12's for him for the Albert Bartlett, over the Ballymore, if I do decide to back him at all, that said, I done the same with Appreciate It (before cashing and backing him any race) and he ended up in the Supreme

Jonbon (NH/JP) - He's been on the radar of many ever since his P2P win in Dromahane, where he probably couldn't have done it any easier. He also has the added pressure (not that he probably feels it) of being a full brother to Douvan, which coupled with his P2P win meant he certainly attracted plenty of attention, and commanded a ridiculous fee of ?570k at the sales. His P2P form is hardly anything to write home about, though, as said above, he couldn't have won any easier, and got a huge RPR of 97 (which is one of the highest I've personally seen in recent seasons), so the potential certainly remains with him. His NHF debut over the weekend just gone was what was expected of him, although we know things don't always go to plan like that, so it was nice for him to get off the mark, against mostly more experienced rivals and in the style of a useful enough animal. Time will most certainly tell with him. With regards to his target, usually, being out of the P2P sphere I'd be looking at the Ballymore, however, if he's anything like his brother he'll be plenty quick enough for a Supreme.

Journey With Me (HdB/Robcour) - Won his P2P and his bumper debut under rules as he liked, barely being asked a question. The comparisons are being directly made against Bob Olinger (because he shares the same silks and won the same bumper), but I think they are two completely difference types of horse. The main thing I would say with him is that he's looked like he has galloped horses into submission, more than quickened away from them like Bob Olinger did. I definitely see him more as an Albert Bartlett type, above anything else, that said, he looks a fair sized horse so wouldn't surprise me one bit if he was to be put away after a couple of hurdles runs and save him for chasing.

Grand Jury (HdB/Robcour) - Same colours as Journey With Me, above, and Bob Olinger. Won the same P2P as Bob Olinger, but did look very slightly awkward, to my eye, however, he clearly has ability, and looks a fairly pacey horse given the way he quickened up on his bumper debut at Punchestown, and stayed on really well to the line. Again, being from the P2P sphere most would assume he'd be heading to a Ballymore or further, but I wouldn't put it past him being a Supreme horse myself. I've backed him for the both races anyhow.

I Am Maximus (NH/Mike Grech) - Has the one run to date, winning his bumper well, where the form has worked out really well. The 2nd, My Drogo, has won 3 from 3 since, including two G2 hurdle races, the 3rd has run with some credit and the 4th has won two and finished 2nd once in his next 4 starts. As well as the bumper form working out well I Am Maximus is also closely enough related to Goshen, having the same sire and Grand-Sire, whether or not this is a positive or negative can be decided by the backer/layer, but shouldn't retract from what the horse has done as an individual and what he has done to date. He's a big price for both the Supreme and Ballymore, and could end up for either, although my preference would be the former.

Hob House (NH/JP) - Probably slipped under the radar a little bit, due to Jonbon taking centre stage for the same connections, and that may well be justified, but Hob House shouldn't be dismissed easily, IMO. Purchased as a store, so there is little to go on, but delving into the breeding, he is by Walk In The Park (same sire as Jonbon, Douvan etc...) and his Grand-dam is the dam of Epatante, who Nicky obviously trains and knows well. Comes into the category of 'could be anything' and is entered up tomorrow in a bumper, so we might know our fate soon enough.

Gerri Colombe (GE/Robcour) - Unbeaten in three starts, and looked really impressive on bumper debut when dotting up by some 24 lengths. Not really sure he's beat much overall though, in any of his races, and for me he certainly looks like one that will be seen to better effect over a fence. A similar profile to Journey With Me, IMO.

Hollow Games (GE/Morans) - A bit like Gerri Colombe, Hollow Games remains unbeaten after 3 runs, looks a big horse, and convinced he'll be better over a fence. I have him down as a potential for something like the Martin Pipe, but he could well turn out to be better than that also.

So that's my initial list of potential novice hurdlers. I'd by lying if I said I didn't have anymore written down, probably about another 20 or so currently, but many are not priced up yet, so will keep these close to my chest, as I'm sure others do

Comment

One I'm looking forward to seeing is Balco Coastal of Henderson. Won his bumper very very easily from one of Skeltons who won this week.

2nd in his ptp behind Gentlemansgame, who placed in the 2m6f novice hurdle at the DRF. He will be interesting over 2m early on and may go under the radar with Henderson also having Jonbon and I Am Maximus.

Comment

Originally posted by DenmanSacre View Post
        One I'm looking forward to seeing is Balco Coastal of Henderson. Won his bumper very very easily from one of Skeltons who won this week.

2nd in his ptp behind Gentlemansgame, who placed in the 2m6f novice hurdle at the DRF. He will be interesting over 2m early on and may go under the radar with Henderson also having Jonbon and I Am Maximus.
        Yeah, he very nearly made my list DS. I was very taken with his bumper at Kempton, my only issues is what his target would be. Tempted to get him onside for the Ballymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post

Yeah, he very nearly made my list DS. I was very taken with his bumper at Kempton, my only issues is what his target would be. Tempted to get him onside for the Ballymore.
          Just had a look on Oddschecker and he's 25s already so pretty skinny already.

I'm not too sure what his target would be and will be one I'll wait until we see what race he's declared for in the Autumn first time out.

Comment

Apart from his hefty price tag and lofty P2P rating has anyone heard anything of Grangeclare West since moving to WPM? Does he start off in bumper races or go straight into novice hurdle events?

Comment

I’m really looking forward to Hubrisko. WPM & RR. The form of his flat race is working out nicely.

I asked B365 to price him up for the Supreme. They refused.

if anyone else can get him priced with any bookie I would be very grateful

Hubrisko AKA the next Douvan.

Comment

Agree with Journey With Me, definitely a 3m horse imo and have backed him for the Albert Bartlett.

R.e Grand Jury - I done a bit of watching/form on him last night and as much I don’t really let times influence my opinion/betting too much .. there were 5 bumpers on the card that day over the same distance and he was the quickest by 10 seconds. He’s a Ballymore horse to me.

Champion Bumper form has collated well to the novice hurdles last couple of years but I can’t back Sir G at them prices.

Comment

Originally posted by OverTheLast View Post
                  Agree with Journey With Me, definitely a 3m horse imo and have backed him for the Albert Bartlett.

R.e Grand Jury - I done a bit of watching/form on him last night and as much I don’t really let times influence my opinion/betting too much .. there were 5 bumpers on the card that day over the same distance and he was the quickest by 10 seconds. He’s a Ballymore horse to me.

Champion Bumper form has collated well to the novice hurdles last couple of years but I can’t back Sir G at them prices.
                  Glad you are on the same page regarding the trips for the two robcor horses, had an ew double on them and singles recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Fouroverthrutwo View Post
                    Apart from his hefty price tag and lofty P2P rating has anyone heard anything of Grangeclare West since moving to WPM? Does he start off in bumper races or go straight into novice hurdle events?
                    Cheveley Park mentioned Classic Getaway the other day as the bumper one so I assumed Grangeclare West would go hurdling as when I read this cashed G West for the bumper.

Comment

Originally posted by Topofthegame2021 View Post
                      I’m really looking forward to Hubrisko. WPM & RR. The form of his flat race is working out nicely.

I asked B365 to price him up for the Supreme. They refused.

if anyone else can get him priced with any bookie I would be very grateful

Hubrisko AKA the next Douvan.
                      I’ve asked Sky TOTG - 33/1 added to market.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeinJapan View Post

Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by MadeinJapan View Post

Hills have him in the Supreme market at 50/1 for those interested.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post

Hob House (NH/JP) - Probably slipped under the radar a little bit, due to Jonbon taking centre stage for the same connections, and that may well be justified, but Hob House shouldn't be dismissed easily, IMO. Purchased as a store, so there is little to go on, but delving into the breeding, he is by Walk In The Park (same sire as Jonbon, Douvan etc...) and his Grand-dam is the dam of Epatante, who Nicky obviously trains and knows well. Comes into the category of 'could be anything' and is entered up tomorrow in a bumper, so we might know our fate soon enough.
                            Nice start from Hob House despite the big drift, and also considering how keen he was throughout the race. Looks to be a little bit smart. JP/Hendo looking to have a couple of really good recruits for the novice hurdle division, provided they can jump a hurdle, already.

Comment

Originally posted by Topofthegame2021 View Post

Thanks!!
                              Might be worth trying 365 again now a couple of other companies have priced him up

Comment

Working...
                              X