Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Discipline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discipline

Does anybody else struggle with discipline at this time ?

I think the mind gets overly re-assured when NRNB kicks in, this doesn't increase your horse(s) chances but it removes the risk of you getting the target wrong, horse suffering a setback, brain dead trainer allowing themselves to have compromising photos taken that throw all plans into disarray etc.
    I have found myself constantly looking for new ways of perming horses in a multiple, this isn't new for this year I have done this for a few years now and it is a pure lack of discipline.

Any else in the same boat ?

I'm more disciplined at this time of year than any other as I'm bust thinking about Cheltenham so my day to day betting is greatly reduced.
    I am worried about your multiple betting though
    and the number of doubles I've done this year.

Comment

I'm alright with it as of right now..... how I am when I have a list of 9 races and lists of horses and weights.... I'm not so sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Quevega View Post
        I am worried about your multiple betting though
        It started in lockdown #1 !
        To be fair I'm playing patents which is a way of pressing the singles I like...

Comment

Taking an in depth look at the handicaps too early after the entries can be bad for me. Can find myself wanting to back a few too many in the same race. Overall I’m pretty happy with how selective I’ve been this year. Gone a bit overboard in the Martin pipe perhaps tho.

Comment

I have backed 5 so far all singles, 2 in a double and 3 in a cheeky treble.

Not looking for any more to back and don't touch handicaps so weights are immaterial to me.

Last year was costly whilst everyone seemed to crack it off all except muggings who went all-in on CPS

Comment

....too late, I think I’ve backed every horse in every race.

Comment

This calm before the storm is probably where I place the least bets just as there's no real Cheltenham influencing stimuli around (i.e races that could inform it)

Gonna try and use the next week before preview season to really snag my body of work, critique any "groupthink" and be brutal with what I've got

It's during the week when I lose the run of myself with dumb accas, and they need to have a lid kept on them this year!

Comment

Probably my most disciplined year to date

Have a nice balance between being involved with Ante Post better whilst leaving the vast amount of my betting on the day. I addition, and unlike previous years I'm not sitting on any one huge bet to make my week and importantly season. I've had a great season, being up most of the big weekend allowing me to side track some of my credits onto the AP market

I like to get an early start with two races at the festival, thats the Arkle and Champion Hurdle. Thats it.
                  The betfair hurdle has always been the checkpoint for me, a placeholder indiacting we're in Festival mode now. No need to back anything now, no rush, use the time to re-align with what's it takes to win that week, review and look back on performances and start getting a feel of how the ground is going and how this may impact selections.

I've been more disciplined this season, which means I'm in a good position going into the Festival. That doesnt mean I have a load of great bets, I just think mentally and from a bank balance I'm start in a good place and looking forward to picking up winners on the day

I must say, the nerves havent kicked in yet, I can see that happening around the 10th / 11th, I'm sure the panic will set then soon after that

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                    Does anybody else struggle with discipline at this time ?

I think the mind gets overly re-assured when NRNB kicks in, this doesn't increase your horse(s) chances but it removes the risk of you getting the target wrong, horse suffering a setback, brain dead trainer allowing themselves to have compromising photos taken that throw all plans into disarray etc.
                    I have found myself constantly looking for new ways of perming horses in a multiple, this isn't new for this year I have done this for a few years now and it is a pure lack of discipline.

Any else in the same boat ?
                    Not too Bad me , Already got my big bet's on by now , and the Better price's long gone in some cases . Bit of tinkering about , adding a few here and there in multi's.
                    It's a Brave thing to say , But i have a feeling this year could be my best yet , Lost a fair few in singles , but mostly small bet's .
                    And a lot of my multi's are in tact still , again , the smaller one's mostly hit .
                    In 14 day's time Ista , I'll have a fair idea of where it's heading . N.R.N.B or not .....

Comment

My biggest disciple problem is pre NRNB. The period between decs and weights is sweet spot for value imo until race morning. Also can target non runner value combos to get bigger singles on at this time.

Comment

My last two bets were on biggest winning distance so not that disciplined!

Still think Easysland at 20/1 is value mind

Comment

Originally posted by Muswell View Post
                          My last two bets were on biggest winning distance so not that disciplined!

Still think Easysland at 20/1 is value mind
                          I like that bet but for the existence of Ajas - he could be anything

Comment

Agreed I’ll worry about that when he is declared

Comment

I’ve been doubting myself a lot and watering down the bets I have by backing market rivals as the weeks pass. It’s a combination of a fear of losing and wanting to guarantee a return from each race. I’ve targeted 20 races to win at the festival and will be disappointed if I don’t win 20 given the large number of bets I have covering most of the market leaders. My betting strategy is weak though, if I only had 40 bets at the festival I would probably win more than if I had 100, I doubt myself too much and allow myself to be influenced by other people’s opinions and thoughts. If I think a horse is shit then stick to that decision regardless of how much it’s price is cut. Hopefully I’ll get a decent amount back after day 2 to be able to ease up and let bets ride instead of cashing out and sticking to my guns and not back every horse that moves in the market.

Comment

Working...
                              X