Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Has anyone had a Cheltenham 2022 punt yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eggs View Post

...looking like Jonbon runs on Saturday, I’d like to see what’s offered on that in ‘win today & a/r’.
    Then just pray he's not a lunatic like flinteur sacre

Comment

...looking like Jonbon runs on Saturday, I’d like to see what’s offered on that in ‘win today & a/r’.
      Yeah, looking forward to that price Eggs.

Comment

• Agree with the general sentiment on here re this year's antepost offerings - very poor and unappealing.

The volume of fancied horses that made it to Cheltenham safe and sound,and then ran well must be playing a part.

Also, this time last year we were in lockdown, with nothing to bet on. The layers had vastly reduced turnover and may have been holding prices to encourage punters to part with some cash.

Comment

• What position do the bookies take whenever these ridiculously short favs go out and win their maidens etc 5/4 there’s a full year the horse has to get through without getting injured think it’s a joke some prices quoted!

Comment

• Agreed there’s not much juice in theses prices at all.

Do we think once the season is over and they’ve had the flat season, they’ll relax the prices come the start of the National hunt season again, especially with more firms starting to get their ante post markets up.

surely there just licking there wounds at the moment!

Comment

• I can’t imagine what incentive bookies would have to push prices out, the only glimmer of light we have is that not all firms are quoting so we may see some corrections when there’s proper competition bit right now it’s horrific, they’re scared or maybe even scarred, but there’ll be plenty of people looking at these prices and just having more on so they won’t see they’re doing much wrong...

Comment

• Originally posted by Exar Essay View Post

Completely agree. Must admit, the Upping the Ante lads put me on to her back in December and I've been keeping an eye since. There was even some speculation she might've gone hurdling last year which never came to fruition of course. I've had a small bit on her today. Problem is, it looks a good crop this year. Elle est Belle and Eileendover could head here too ... mind you, they could be good enough to have a crack at the Supreme.
                It’s based on no information whatsoever but I have a suspicion that Eilendover won’t ever run over hurdles. I suspect she wins at Aintree, then gets given a flat campaign. If she wins a group race on the flat (which based on all three of her bumper performances is possible), I think there’s very little chance she runs over obstacles, similar to Princess Zoe.

Fwiw if Eileendover was sold, she’d have a much better chance of going to the Mares Novice Hurdle. However, connections seem adamant she’s not for sale and have already mentioned turning down big money offers for her.

I just don’t see her ever running over obstacles.

Comment

• I suppose one bright spot of all these ridiculously short favs is that they’ll hold the prices up for everything else come festival time.

As mentioned a horse that’s 7/2 now will be nearly evens once they’ve won a couple of times so there’ll be value there to take them on with.

just up to us to find it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kautostar View Post
                    Thought they were going nrnb for a second, disgusting this far out. Just a blanket cut.
                    ....a factor might be that they already have significant liabilities because of offers ahead of their recent Festival runs:

Sir Gerhard was 25-1 to win Bumper & Supreme: 33-1 Bumper & Ballymore : 33-1 the Bumper & any race for a while.
                    Bob Olinger 40-1 Ballymore & RSA: 40-1 & Marsh: 33-1 a/r
                    Shishkin 33-1 & 35-1 Arkle & Champion Chase (it was still 14-1 with Sky to win CC in December).
                    Monkfish RSA & GC 33-1
                    Quilixios 66-1 Triumph/CH: 25-1 &/a/r

Shishkin (A/CC)/Envoi (GC) double was 225-1 & 250-1
                    Shishkin (A/CC)/Monkfish (GC) double was 100-1
                    Appreciate It/Shishkin a/r 50-1
                    Hills even had Shishkin A/CC with Golden Pal to win King Stand Stakes @ 120-1

I imagine lots on here are sitting on those fancy prices & can quote other examples. The situation would’ve been significantly worst for firms had Envoi won (Envoi MC/GC liabilities, & doubles with Shishkin A/CC).
                    Last edited by Eggs; 26 March 2021, 08:08 AM.

Comment

....a factor might be that they already have significant liabilities because of offers ahead of their recent Festival runs:

Sir Gerhard was 25-1 to win Bumper & Supreme: 33-1 Bumper & Ballymore : 33-1 the Bumper & any race for a while.
                      Shishkin 33-1 & 35-1 Arkle & Champion Chase (it was still 14-1 with Sky to win CC in December).
                      Monkfish RSA & GC 33-1

I imagine lots on here are sitting on those fancy prices & can quote other examples. The situation would’ve been significantly worst for firms had Envoi won (Envoi MC/GC liabilities, & doubles with Shishkin A/CC).
                      That’s all well and good but they’ve cut 3 or 4 others in each market as well not just the favourite’s you’ve mentioned. Still no sign of their TWAR market either which was up and running this time last year. Maybe a change in focus now William Hill is looking to sell off its UK part of the business. Worrying times for us ante post punters I fear because if people still take these awful odds they’ll know they can do that every year.

Comment

• I can’t imagine the RABs carry any great liability as, I assume, everyone is restricted on what they can get on, so whilst the 100/1 and bigger prices are attractive I can’t imagine they get much traffic compared to therace markets.
                        I’m convinced these RABs produce a profit year on year for Sky, non runners and different targets always take the majority down, it’s great a few found some this year that copped but I know my RAB P&L over the years is a sorry story...

Comment

Monkfish RSA & GC 33-1

Have to say, I do wish I'd paid more attention to these at the time. I was fully aware of them but was too focussed on the current festival and was also unsure how involved I'd want to get in antepost for 2022. Now, a week after the festival I'm itching to get back to it and the current prices are awful.

Comment

Monkfish RSA & GC 33-1

How far before the festival did you place these, Eggs? Something I've been interested in before but always seem to miss the boat.
                            Last edited by Sprinter Sacre; 26 March 2021, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kautostar View Post

That’s all well and good but they’ve cut 3 or 4 others in each market as well not just the favourite’s you’ve mentioned. Still no sign of their TWAR market either which was up and running this time last year. Maybe a change in focus now William Hill is looking to sell off its UK part of the business. Worrying times for us ante post punters I fear because if people still take these awful odds they’ll know they can do that every year.

...I’ve only listed some I captured myself, I’m sure their liabilities stretch wider to other selections. Also, I imagine punters will have dipped into next years ante-post regardless of the offers, as I say Shishkin to win the Champion Chase was highlighted on here @ 14-1 in December (regardless of it winning the Arkle).

Comment

• I just think it’s very very risky to be taking 2022 bets for cheltenham before horses have even ran in 2021. I get you have potential horse that could be superstars. I would rather concentrate on 2021 then when the dust has settled start looking at 2022, just my opinion and how I be, not everyone is the same.

Then what happens if horses run at Aintree and/or Punchestown and pick up lengthy injuries

Hard enough picking horses antepost, nevermind with more info and risk this season.

Sir Gerhards price and Classic Getaway are appalling imo. One has not been over a hurdle in it’s likely field and the other hasn’t ran in a national hunt competitive race. I know the novices going chasing are awful too but the 2 above are the worst for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X