Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Request-a-Bets (was 'Sky Bets' thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lobos View Post

Yep......2 Horses yep, 3 horses ummmmm maybe, 4 and above.......Fudge.

....I understand the sentiment, but I had a successful 5 fold Festival RaB @ 200-1 & I’m sure I’m not alone in that.

i don’t think they should be instantly dismissed but you have to be selective & apply some criteria. Clearly the nearer you get, the less risk involved in horses getting there. Perhaps stay clear when two of the selections might have the same objective.

RaBs aren’t everybody’s cup of tea but I had 2 separate 200-1 successes (one of which I backed a couple of times) and a number of smaller odds where I collected. They’re not ‘mug bets’ as far as I’m concerned.
    Last edited by Eggs; 26 April 2021, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eggs View Post

....I understand the sentiment, but I had a successful 5 fold Festival RaB @ 200-1 & I’m sure I’m not alone in that.

i don’t think they should be instantly dismissed but you have to be selective & apply some criteria. Clearly the nearer you get, the less risk involved in horses getting there. Perhaps stay clear when two of the selections might have the same objective.

RaBs aren’t everybody’s cup of tea but I had 2 separate 200-1 successes (one of which I backed a couple of times) and a number of smaller odds where I collected. They’re not ‘mug bets’ for me.
      Large odds, small stakes never hurts anyone. Like you said, you only need 1 to come in for it to be profitable. Treat them like a little fun bet though I'd suggest without any big expectations.

Comment

• I'd suggest you can have another fudge factor that trumps the fudge factor you're discussing.

If a horse gets injured or takes up an alternative target, then you can have the next best, and even the third best in other multiples. If they're each way multiples than even if all three turn up they can all be significant winning legs. However if one doesn't make it you guarantee that the other two are excellent value because of the price contraction.

That's the beauty of long range antepost, the odds more than compensate for perming several horses from one race, and right now there are plenty of horses that fit the bill behind horses that are relatively short. In most cases the place part is the equivalent or better than the favourite.

Take Energumene as an example. At 14/1 for the Ryanair, if Allaho went to the Champion Chase or heaven forbid picked up an injury he'd be 6/1. And assuming he runs to his potential next season he could be as short as 5/2. In that case it makes sense to cover both horses in separate multiples with a cashout option while they're each way prices. As the season develops then perhpas add a third option in multiples as additional cover, with th eplace part of the each way multiples remaining in play at all times.

I include RAB's as part of my overall strategy. Getting 'any race' and place only on certain horses surely has to be a good option of the prices stack up. I use them, and I usually have quite a few each season. I also find that across a spread of them over the season they tend to be profitable. I've just had a look back at my records, and in each of the last 3 seasons early RAB's contributed to them being profitable overall. In fact it's prompted me to do some digging over the next few days to see if cutting out the later ones would have made them more profitable.
        Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more I sweat, the luckier I get.

Comment

• I asked PaddyPower to add Langer Dan to the Stayers Hurdle following Saxon Warrior tip, and also Pure Genius to the NHC market ahead of his run at Punchestown this afternoon.

PP have gone 33/1 for Langer Dan (you can still get it at 50/1 with Bet 365), and 25/1 for Pure Genius (50/1) also. I'm slightly rolling my eyes at this as I already have 3 betting accounts, one of which I signed up to yesterday, but the huge difference in prices means I may sign up this afternoon...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mighty View Post
            I asked PaddyPower to add Langer Dan to the Stayers Hurdle following Saxon Warrior tip, and also Pure Genius to the NHC market ahead of his run at Punchestown this afternoon.

PP have gone 33/1 for Langer Dan (you can still get it at 50/1 with Bet 365), and 25/1 for Pure Genius (50/1) also. I'm slightly rolling my eyes at this as I already have 3 betting accounts, one of which I signed up to yesterday, but the huge difference in prices means I may sign up this afternoon...
            Bet365 are the best bookmaker for antepost betting by a country mile, with their cashout, so much better than Betfair and Paddy Power (who pull their cashout on Cheltenham in the new year, each season)

Bet365 keep their's in place throughout.
            "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

• Ah thanks SW - I’ve mainly been using PP for historic reasons, but clearly I need to have a look at this. It’s not going to be possible to swap a lot of bets as I’ve got the value locked in, but your advice is hugely valued thank you. Cheeky that the cash out gets pulled - nowhere does it say that!

Might have to be one where I take the hit this year, keep my fingers crossed for no injuries, and look to switch to Bet365 in the autumn for future antepost bets. I don’t really have the time over the next couple of days to sign up and take full advantage of the ?100 credits offer, which I really ought to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mighty View Post
                Ah thanks SW - I’ve mainly been using PP for historic reasons, but clearly I need to have a look at this. It’s not going to be possible to swap a lot of bets as I’ve got the value locked in, but your advice is hugely valued thank you. Cheeky that the cash out gets pulled - nowhere does it say that!

Might have to be one where I take the hit this year, keep my fingers crossed for no injuries, and look to switch to Bet365 in the autumn for future antepost bets. I don’t really have the time over the next couple of days to sign up and take full advantage of the ?100 credits offer, which I really ought to do.
                Definitely use Bet365 for any new bets where you want cashout right through to the day.

From what I have seen Betfair and Paddy Power keep cashout in place for the Cheltenham Festival until they go Non-Runner-No-Bet, then they withdraw ll previous cashout for antepost.
                Its second best for sure, and you have (usually) until January to follow the form of those horses and cash them out if you wish.

It may only be the Cheltenham Festival that they treat cashout like this.

I havent seen them do this for Classic races on the flat, most probably because they never change to NRNB - so dont ditch them they are good second choice (as Page 1 Post 1 of my Betting Diary suggest, in big highlights).
                "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

• I’ve not yet read your betting diary SW - off to have a lunchtime long read. Thanks for the advice - really is much appreciated.

Comment

• Irish trained horses to win all 4 Novice Chases at Cheltenham Festival 2022, 2/1.

Comment

• On the back of the Honeysuckle staying hurdling news, decided to have a quick scan through the RABs.

One I thought wasn’t too bad was:

Honeysuckle, Bob Ollinger, Journey With Me any race 80/1.

People have probably already played this but with added security of a target now it felt ‘safer’ if I can say that so far out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Craigy14 View Post
                        On the back of the Honeysuckle staying hurdling news, decided to have a quick scan through the RABs.

People have probably already played this but with added security of a target now it felt ‘safer’ if I can say that so far out.
                        Like that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Craigy14 View Post
                          On the back of the Honeysuckle staying hurdling news, decided to have a quick scan through the RABs.

Was 100/1 a while back but as you say there's a bit more security with it now.

Comment

• Gin on Lime, sky have her added to win at Galway today and any race at Cheltenham at 25/1

Comment

• Originally posted by That Horse View Post
                              Gin on Lime, sky have her added to win at Galway today and any race at Cheltenham at 25/1
                              Not bad. Takes in the Mares Chase, Arkle and perhaps Handicaps as well. She could be 10 lengths clear and fall at the last today though which always puts me off those bets

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobos View Post

Not bad. Takes in the Mares Chase, Arkle and perhaps Handicaps as well. She could be 10 lengths clear and fall at the last today though which always puts me off those bets
                                Lol or hose up today and clout the last next March!

I've got her in a double today with Joan Of Arc at Goodwood and have taken the RAB as well. If she loses today, the Cheltenham prices will still be there but have had something on just in case

Comment

Working...
                                X