Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Stupid Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is 'Good' ground not suitable for all horses ?
    Why is it called Good ground in that case ?

Why not call it

Firm - Yielding - Soft - Heavy

And fuck the Good off.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
      Why does Rich Ricci hibernate for 11 months of the year? Anyone know?
      One can dodge angry BetBright customers easily, as one can dodge disgruntled Barclays investors, but dodging both at the same time is a tough ask for a lad his age

Comment

I've never totally understood what the difference between the two courses is and what causes it?

Comment

What is with the Suffix on some horses ie Sully Doc AA and Manitopark AA?

Comment

Originally posted by jonthehammer View Post
            What is with the Suffix on some horses ie Sully Doc AA and Manitopark AA?
            Think that's something to do with them being Arabian bred.

The letters AA after a racehorse's name stand for Anglo-Arabian - a separate breed to thoroughbreds which is the result of various crosses between thoroughbreds, Arabian and Anglo-Arabian horses.

Comment

Originally posted by Quevega View Post

Think that's something to do with them being Arabian bred.

The letters AA after a racehorse's name stand for Anglo-Arabian - a separate breed to thoroughbreds which is the result of various crosses between thoroughbreds, Arabian and Anglo-Arabian horses.
              Thanks Q, always wondered about that one.

Comment

I'll post this here, because most of my questions fall into this category. From my very limited knowledge of exchange betting, is something up with ferny hollow. Just been looking at betfair exchange. Is this something to be concerned about for ferny fans?

Comment

re the difference between Chase and Hurdles ratings

In Great Britain, there are 888 horses with official ratings over both disciplines. The median marks for both types is 107, while the mean hurdle rating is 106.22 and the mean chase rating is 107.24 making chasers on average 1.016 pounds higher. Of this 888, 206 have a higher chase mark, 99 have a higher hurdle mark, and 583 are equal.

In Ireland, there are 439 such horses. The marks are 106 for hurdlers, 111 for chasers median, 107.11 hurdlers, 111.56 chasers mean with the difference being 4 pounds and 4.45 pounds respectively. In contrast to Great Britain, those who have equal marks make up a minority of just 33. 297 have a higher chase mark, 109 a higher hurdles mark.

Comment

If a horses is pulling extremely hard, would it be more beneficial to allow that horse to expend its energy by moving forward quicker than desired, rather than waste energy fighting the jockey without making any ground?

Comment

Originally posted by Kotkijet View Post
                      If a horses is pulling extremely hard, would it be more beneficial to allow that horse to expend its energy by moving forward quicker than desired, rather than waste energy fighting the jockey without making any ground?
                      I'm no scientist but I'd always rather a horse go hard and potentially be caught than held up and run out of steam closing.

Comment

I saw Barry G talking about that the other day, he said if you let them do that they will never learn to settle and just go hard at it every race. Makes sense I guess

Comment

Originally posted by jonthehammer View Post

I saw Barry G talking about that the other day, he said if you let them do that they will never learn to settle and just go hard at it every race. Makes sense I guess
                          That could feasibly count as "schooling in public", although I suppose it's difficult to replicate the raceday experience at home.

Comment

That could feasibly count as "schooling in public", although I suppose it's difficult to replicate the raceday experience at home.
                            He pretty much said that actually, they all do it i suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by robith View Post
                              I've never totally understood what the difference between the two courses is and what causes it?
                              What 2 courses robith ?
                              Cheltenham New/Old, hurdles/chase ?

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post

What 2 courses robith ?
                                Cheltenham New/Old, hurdles/chase ?
                                New/old ista. Like I understand one requires more stamina but have never fully gotten why? Like, they're next to each other

Comment

Working...
                                X