Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
https://pay.anna.money/p/fjforumslimited
See more
See less

Stupid Questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A couple of general questions, which I’ve never been quite sure about. If anyone knows the answers that would be very much appreciated.

    1) I’m aware a horse needs to run in three races in the relevant discipline in order to secure a handicap mark but if the horse falls or unseats the rider in one of those three races does is still count as one of the three required races?

    2) If a race only has a maximum number of runners and receives more declarations than there are places, how is it decided which horses can run? What if many horses at the cut-off point have the same handicap mark? How are marks which include penalties for races won post the allotment of the mark treated versus normal handicap marks?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Cheltenham Novice Chase View Post
      A couple of general questions, which I’ve never been quite sure about. If anyone knows the answers that would be very much appreciated.

      1) I’m aware a horse needs to run in three races in the relevant discipline in order to secure a handicap mark but if the horse falls or unseats the rider in one of those three races does is still count as one of the three required races?

      2) If a race only has a maximum number of runners and receives more declarations than there are places, how is it decided which horses can run? What if many horses at the cut-off point have the same handicap mark? How are marks which include penalties for races won post the allotment of the mark treated versus normal handicap marks?

      The answer to the first question is the handicapper will usually give a mark if the fall was over the last two fences. They are allowed to defer if they so wish though.

      The answer to the second is by ballot, usually done in advance. If a horse wins and gets a penalty which puts it on the same mark as others in the ballot to get in, said horse is automatically last choice.
      Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more I sweat, the luckier I get.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Spectre View Post


        The answer to the first question is the handicapper will usually give a mark if the fall was over the last two fences. They are allowed to defer if they so wish though.

        The answer to the second is by ballot, usually done in advance. If a horse wins and gets a penalty which puts it on the same mark as others in the ballot to get in, said horse is automatically last choice.
        Thanks Spectre. It’s hard to find this info on the BHA website and I knew someone on here would know. Much appreciated.

        Comment


        • I’ve always understood that a trainer can ask the handicapper to consider a run if the horse failed to make it to the second last.
          I know trainers can ask for overseas form to be used/considered if a horse doesn’t have the three required starts...

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
            I’ve always understood that a trainer can ask the handicapper to consider a run if the horse failed to make it to the second last.
            I know trainers can ask for overseas form to be used/considered if a horse doesn’t have the three required starts...
            They can Istabraq. It's not often they'll get given a mark, but it does happen ocasionally if the handicapper feels he as sufficient handle on a horse already. It rarely happens for top end horses though, simply because the handicapper is concerned about catching a cold in a higher profile Saturday handicap.
            Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more I sweat, the luckier I get.

            Comment


            • Could anyone help with what would happen in this scenario.

              You place an each way bet in a five horse race, then one scratches, so they are now only paying out for win only. Your horse is still a runner. What happens with the each way part of the bet?

              Cheers

              Comment


              • Originally posted by parimutuel View Post
                Could anyone help with what would happen in this scenario.

                You place an each way bet in a five horse race, then one scratches, so they are now only paying out for win only. Your horse is still a runner. What happens with the each way part of the bet?

                Cheers
                Doubles up on the win part, so if you had ?10 e/w you now have ?20 win. Hope that helps.

                Comment


                • Outlaw Thanks for clearing that one up.

                  Comment


                  • Not sure if this is a stupid Question , or i'm being stupid , But why is there a Mares handicap hurdle on oddschecker ... in between the N.H. chs and the Ballymore nov hdl.
                    .................................................. .......................................... where has this been mentioned ???. .

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
                      Not sure if this is a stupid Question , or i'm being stupid , But why is there a Mares handicap hurdle on oddschecker ... in between the N.H. chs and the Ballymore nov hdl.
                      .................................................. .......................................... where has this been mentioned ???. .
                      I think its a race at the april meeting and they've messed the dates up

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Freyno View Post

                        I think its a race at the april meeting and they've messed the dates up
                        O.K . Freyno , that makes sense , cheers.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
                          Not sure if this is a stupid Question , or i'm being stupid , But why is there a Mares handicap hurdle on oddschecker ... in between the N.H. chs and the Ballymore nov hdl.
                          .................................................. .......................................... where has this been mentioned ???. .
                          Cue Kevloaf meltdown....

                          Comment


                          • I've been on my bet365, William hill and Betfair accounts. None of them letting me add a double of run wild Fred to win nch and grand national, any idea why?

                            Can bet each leg separately but no option for adding the double.....

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by That Horse View Post
                              I've been on my bet365, William hill and Betfair accounts. None of them letting me add a double of run wild Fred to win nch and grand national, any idea why?

                              Can bet each leg separately but no option for adding the double.....
                              Related bet I assume

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by That Horse View Post
                                I've been on my bet365, William hill and Betfair accounts. None of them letting me add a double of run wild Fred to win nch and grand national, any idea why?

                                Can bet each leg separately but no option for adding the double.....
                                As Crowley says, it's classed as related contingency. The odds of one directly impacts the chances of the other therefore the double price isnt the true odds of the double happening.

                                There is a skybet special at 125/1 if that appeals.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X