Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Stupid Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Native River View Post
    All this talk about Patrick Mullins maybe going Pro had me wondering, why would he be so fussed about staying Amateur?

Realised I never really know what changes between the two groups for jockeys. The only things I can think of are obviously be some races he can't ride in as a Pro and it would rule out PTP, but surely the later isn't something he does often seeing as he basically gets 2nd pick of his dads lot?
    I was thinking the same, why stay amateur. Especially with David Mullins retiring would Patrick not become second choice for Willie and have a lot of good rides?

Comment

All this talk about Patrick Mullins maybe going Pro had me wondering, why would he be so fussed about staying Amateur?

Realised I never really know what changes between the two groups for jockeys. The only things I can think of are obviously be some races he can't ride in as a Pro and it would rule out PTP, but surely the later isn't something he does often seeing as he basically gets 2nd pick of his dads lot?
      Weight is one of the biggest reasons from memory. Amateur races generally have a higher weight allotted to the horses for races, so being an amateur, you wouldn't have to worry about making weight to ride at 10 stone like a professional may have for some h'caps. Patrick is over 6 foot tall, it might be impossible for him to make weight for half the field in a h'cap at times if he was a pro.

There are other reasons also, but this is one of the biggest that I've heard crop up in past conversations with amateur jockeys

Comment

• Originally posted by PresentingPercy88 View Post

Weight is one of the biggest reasons from memory. Amateur races generally have a higher weight allotted to the horses for races, so being an amateur, you wouldn't have to worry about making weight to ride at 10 stone like a professional may have for some h'caps. Patrick is over 6 foot tall, it might be impossible for him to make weight for half the field in a h'cap at times if he was a pro.

There are other reasons also, but this is one of the biggest that I've heard crop up in past conversations with amateur jockeys
        Patrick's lowest riding weight in the last 12 months is 11st 3lb.

Comment

Over the last 5 years Patrick has ridden in 698 races in Ireland. 573 of these rides (over 80 percent) were in Bumpers. If he turns pro he is no longer eligible to ride in bumpers here.

Comment

• Cheers fellas makes sense, hadn't even considered weight.

Hadn't realised bumpers in Ireland are amateur, no idea why seems mental I hadn't considering whenever you look at the cards it's only amateur jocked up, shows my powers of observation, bodes well for march

Comment

• On the racing post when you pull up a past result, you can see the official rating and then the topspeed/racing post ratings. I always thought all 3 were the ratings for the horses as they went into the race, but i've noticed if a horse fell, pulled up etc... then the topspeed/RPR is left blank?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atlantic Viking View Post
                On the racing post when you pull up a past result, you can see the official rating and then the topspeed/racing post ratings. I always thought all 3 were the ratings for the horses as they went into the race, but i've noticed if a horse fell, pulled up etc... then the topspeed/RPR is left blank?
                Tbh I never bother with speed figures although sure the same applies but I know the RPR is deffo their rating of that run. If a horse falls say 2 out they’ll get an rpr but if they fall mid race then not, I don’t know if there’s any hard & fast rule in what is considered enough to give a rating.

Comment

• Originally posted by ToniC View Post

Tbh I never bother with speed figures although sure the same applies but I know the RPR is deffo their rating of that run. If a horse falls say 2 out they’ll get an rpr but if they fall mid race then not, I don’t know if there’s any hard & fast rule in what is considered enough to give a rating.
                  What's confused me is if you take Adrimel and Mint Condition as examples, in their most recent race at Warwick, the result shows an RPR of 144 and 141 respectively. But when you go to the Albert Bartlett entries on the RP site, they're shown as having an RPR of 153 and 150.

Comment

What's confused me is if you take Adrimel and Mint Condition as examples, in their most recent race at Warwick, the result shows an RPR of 144 and 141 respectively. But when you go to the Albert Bartlett entries on the RP site, they're shown as having an RPR of 153 and 150.
                    I can’t remember the exact word for it but that’s like their predicted RPR or something. It’s what the racing post essentially *think* they are capable of running too if they take a step forward or whatever but it’s basically guesswork

Comment

• Originally posted by ToniC View Post

I can’t remember the exact word for it but that’s like their predicted RPR or something. It’s what the racing post essentially *think* they are capable of running too if they take a step forward or whatever but it’s basically guesswork
                      Thank you

Comment

• Does 1 leg of an antepost double being voided (Thyme HIll for example) mean the whole bet is lost, or that the bet goes on the remaining single? Just curious because when it's happened with other sites I seem to have lost the bet, but even though they've marked the Thyme Hill leg as void on my bet, Betfair will let me cash out half the stake.

Comment

Does 1 leg of an antepost double being voided (Thyme HIll for example) mean the whole bet is lost, or that the bet goes on the remaining single?
                          Dead, just totally dead...

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post

Dead, just totally dead...
                            The bet currently shows a return as if the stake has all been moved onto the remaining horse, plus I can cash out half the stake. Confusing I'd be happy to let it ride but if they're just going to wipe it in about half an hour then i'd rather the cash out sum was in my pocket than theirs...

Comment

Does 1 leg of an antepost double being voided (Thyme HIll for example) mean the whole bet is lost, or that the bet goes on the remaining single? Just curious because when it's happened with other sites I seem to have lost the bet, but even though they've marked the Thyme Hill leg as void on my bet, Betfair will let me cash out half the stake.
                              If they’ve voided, they’ve voided..so a double becomes a single etc

NORMALLY it would be a loser but bf/pp have done justice refunds in these cases

Comment

• It will depend if you backed antepost NRMB surely?! If yes, you’ll have it on one selection now, if no, the whole bet is a loser.

Comment

Working...
                                X