Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
https://pay.anna.money/p/fjforumslimited
See more
See less

The ‘I’m struggling’ thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're all involved at different levels and we're all different people, some might not take it all on the chin as well as others and it's a pretty nervy time to say the least. Remember it's just a game and so long as you're not getting yourself beyond your disposable income, it's just money. I have put on quite a lot of weight in lockdown so am especially cuddly at the moment if anyone needs one.

Comment

• Wholeheartedly agree, AV. And I can empathise with being more cuddly. My other half has been surprisingly generous with her description of it.

Comment

• Agreed. Don't let the betting aspect of Cheltenham get you down. We've had enough negativity to deal with over the past 12 months. Enjoy the week, enjoy the races and hopefully we all have a few winners to cheer on as a added bonus

Comment

• I think that this is the appropriate place for this.

The more observant among you may have noticed that I haven't been on here as much recently. In late January, my dog was diagnosed with a brain lesion. I was given the option of having him put down at the time or palliative care involving several different pills and eye-drops to maintain a reasonable quality of life for as long as possible. This gave him an extra few weeks but, as I mentioned on my trebles thread, we finally had to say goodbye a couple of weeks ago.

Apart from being one of the last links to my wife (who died nearly 10 years ago), he was also my constant lockdown companion. The first week he was gone I was sort of numb and the second week was Cheltenham. I'd had a little bit of information overload on here and restricted myself to the WhatsApp group for my usual Cheltenham crowd but afterwards the reality hit hard. I've been all over the place for the last few days but more or less back to normal now.

I'll be easing myself back in gradually but don't have the stamina to read through everything from the last couple of weeks. Congratulations to all those who won. Memory says that Lobos would have had a good one and Kev's book looked fairly solid but I'm sure that others had good returns. Commiserations to all those who lost. I haven't even looked at my own position after the Festival but I'm sure I'll get round to it sooner or later.

Comment

• Take your time archie, be good to see you back when you're ready.

Take care.
            The owls are not what they seem

Comment

• Yep Archie take care, i know from my dad's lockdown routine his dog is a massive part of keeping sane too.

Hopefully you'll be alright and can finally bring yourself round to getting a new furry companion, i know from my past experiences it isn't so easy initially.

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
                I think that this is the appropriate place for this.

The more observant among you may have noticed that I haven't been on here as much recently. In late January, my dog was diagnosed with a brain lesion. I was given the option of having him put down at the time or palliative care involving several different pills and eye-drops to maintain a reasonable quality of life for as long as possible. This gave him an extra few weeks but, as I mentioned on my trebles thread, we finally had to say goodbye a couple of weeks ago.

Apart from being one of the last links to my wife (who died nearly 10 years ago), he was also my constant lockdown companion. The first week he was gone I was sort of numb and the second week was Cheltenham. I'd had a little bit of information overload on here and restricted myself to the WhatsApp group for my usual Cheltenham crowd but afterwards the reality hit hard. I've been all over the place for the last few days but more or less back to normal now.

I'll be easing myself back in gradually but don't have the stamina to read through everything from the last couple of weeks. Congratulations to all those who won. Memory says that Lobos would have had a good one and Kev's book looked fairly solid but I'm sure that others had good returns. Commiserations to all those who lost. I haven't even looked at my own position after the Festival but I'm sure I'll get round to it sooner or later.
                Archie, I can feel your exact pain right this very moment as we had to say goodbye to my boy this morning . He was a 10yo Springer Spaniel who suffered Hip Dysplasia, and it had been gradually getting worse, to the point he hadn't slept for the past two nights and was struggling to cock his leg to wee. He was on the highest possible medication, so we had to make a decision.

It is absolutely heartbreaking, and this morning was an extremely tough period. I'm at work currently, trying not to bawl, as I haven't actually told work about it. Those, generally, who have never had a dog just don't understand the heartbreak, IMO.

Take care and if you need to chat about anything please do drop me a message.

Comment

• Take it easy Arch. There's over 350 days to next year's Fez so plenty of time to get back into it when you feel you're ready.

Comment

• Losing a pet is absolutely heartbreaking, all the best Archie.

Comment

• Thanks for sharing archie - just a relatively short time to get through now until lockdown is lifted which hopefully has a positive impact for you.

Thoughts are with you and Lee, sorry to that too

Comment

• Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post

Archie, I can feel your exact pain right this very moment as we had to say goodbye to my boy this morning . He was a 10yo Springer Spaniel who suffered Hip Dysplasia, and it had been gradually getting worse, to the point he hadn't slept for the past two nights and was struggling to cock his leg to wee. He was on the highest possible medication, so we had to make a decision.

It is absolutely heartbreaking, and this morning was an extremely tough period. I'm at work currently, trying not to bawl, as I haven't actually told work about it. Those, generally, who have never had a dog just don't understand the heartbreak, IMO.

Take care and if you need to chat about anything please do drop me a message.
                        Really sorry to hear that, CoD. It's such a difficult decision to have to make. There's never a good time, only the right time.

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post

Really sorry to hear that, CoD. It's such a difficult decision to have to make. There's never a good time, only the right time.
                          100% archie. Letting go is one of the hardest things to do in life.

Comment

• Sorry to read your sad news today archie and CoD. It's hard when you lose your best buddy. Take care both.

Comment

• Archie and CoD feel so sad for you two chaps, any type of loss is awful and here's hoping things improve for the better, keep strong lads.

Comment

• Sorry for your loss guys, truly is gutting when you lose a pet.

Comment

Working...
                                X