Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Hidden content / Members areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by taylorch1990 View Post
    As someone who reads the forum most days but contributes only few and far between I'd be more than happy if more stuff was hidden from the non members. I'm probably in the minority of members but I neither keep an ante post diary or read anyone else's. Likewise the handicap posts aren't something I'd have an interest in this far out. Whatever keeps the members who's opinions and info can change the markets happy I'm happy to go along with.
    That is pretty much my state of play too and I agree with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannycraigpirates View Post

Ive been a member of several other racing forums, many of which have faded away over time, and it’s usually down to a handful of members thinking they’re bigger / better / more important than the rest. I’d like to think that most people can add value on this site but when it comes to the point that horses names are blanked out and kept a mystery for all but a few, it kinda defeats the point of why we’re all here
      As that's a specific dig at me...

Is my 'content' not enough for you bar that one horse that I have been specifically asked not to share? Perhaps not actually you only joined in November

It's a one-off situation, due to my relationship and the business that Scooby91 has set up that you may not be aware of and I suppose doesn't matter as it won't happen again

Still, personally, I feel I've put up enough selections, tips, debate and analysis to have a little more respect shown than that.... but thanks for sharing. I did ask
      Last edited by Kevloaf; 2 December 2020, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post

As that's a specific dig at me...

Is my 'content' not enough for you bar that one horse that I have been specifically asked not to share? Perhaps not actually you only joined in November

It's a one-off situation, due to my relationship and the business that Scooby91 has set up that you may not be aware of and I suppose doesn't matter as it won't happen again

Still, personally, I feel I've put up enough selections, tips, debate and analysis to have a little more respect shown than that.... but thanks for sharing. I did ask
        Not a dig per se, more an observation. You clearly invest lots of time and effort into this forum - and you highlighted the concern that WhatsApp groups could potentially hinder what is to the benefit of the forum members - but yet you would rather keep that particular horse to yourself instead of sharing the knowledge with the other members on the forum? I understand why you wouldn’t share it (because if you did you wouldn’t get the heads up about the next one or the one after that etc) but if you can’t share it, then you probably shouldn’t mention it on here. I’m sure your intention wasn’t to rub our noses in it or laud an air of superiority as your other posts seem so far from that - and yes, I may only have been a member since November but that means I’m a fresh pair of eyes & hopefully can bring some new opinions on certain horses/trainers/races!

Anyways, your diary was one of the reasons I signed up as a member - not because I would pull the trigger early enough to capitalise on some of the prices you got, but more because I enjoyed watching the journey of that in-depth collation of prices and seeing the end result months later so I come in peace
        Last edited by dannycraigpirates; 2 December 2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannycraigpirates View Post

Not a dig per se, more an observation. You clearly invest lots of time and effort into this forum - and you highlighted the concern that WhatsApp groups could potentially hinder what is to the benefit of the forum members - but yet you would rather keep that particular horse to yourself instead of sharing the knowledge with the other members on the forum? I understand why you wouldn’t share it (because if you did you wouldn’t get the heads up about the next one or the one after that etc) but if you can’t share it, then you probably shouldn’t mention it on here. I’m sure your intention wasn’t to rub our noses in it or laud an air of superiority as your other posts seem so far from that - and yes, I may only have been a member since November but that means I’m a fresh pair of eyes & hopefully can bring some new opinions on certain horses/trainers/races!
          It's not about me purposefully keeping a horse to myself though danny.... and to be fair, I think I have shared enough information about the horse for everyone to know who it is. Plenty of people have worked it out either with or without my help too, his names all over the place

I also am not going to start having bets I don't mention, I can't.... my diary gets fully scrutinised, and every year I post up everything I can and I wouldn't get any better if I wasn't honest.... Feel free to take the time to sit and read my break down of last years
          https://www.fatjockey.com/forum/fat-...h-2021-in-mind

Yep, fresh eyes, fair enough.... I still have taken that dig quite personally. I feel I share literally more than anyone. That doesn't mean I think I'm better than anyone, there are some people on here I know are much better than me, but to suggest I would rather keep stuff for myself than share with this forum is just so far wide of the mark

I'm really frustrated with this situation about the mystery horse, the reason I can't put it up, is scooby hasn't been able to back it himself yet. Now I know that ultimately, that ain't my problem.... however, the reason I found the horse was due to a conversation I'd had with scooby over the summer, and if he's asked me not to mention it publically until he's got the price, I think that's a reasonable request.

Obviously I've pissed off a lot of people with it.
          Last edited by Kevloaf; 2 December 2020, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• Kev - Having read all of the posts in this thread, I asked myself wherher I would have the same opinion now if joining as a new member than I have some 2 years later.

Looking back, I was a lurker for at least a year before I plugged up the courage to post and ask a naive question. Ever since I stumbled accross the Forum I have been in awe at the considerable wealth of knowlefge and experience overall and I know for sure that has helped me to improve a little.

More fundamentally than that though (as others havd commented), for those who have a passion for Ante Post betting on the Cheltenham Festival, this is the place to come and we should continue to showcase that for the benefit of everyone.

So maybe the only slight concession we should make fior members is to put the diaries and the Out of Fedtival in the members area, with everything else going in the shop window so to speak.

Comment

• Kev - you’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t. I get it. Honestly, no hard feelings. I just hope it doesn’t go single digits after it hacks up on debut

like I said in my last post - it’s your diary that made me sign up hahaha - I actually keep one on my phone that’s very similar and I’ll probably add it onto the members section in due course (not that it’ll be too ground-breaking for most on here)

Comment

• Interesting thread and I concur with most comments on here:
                - no problem with a balance of member and public threads
                - happy to contribute to the upkeep
                ​​​​​​- not sure forcing people to post more than they feel comfortable with is the way to go forward. I’ve noticed a huge increase in traffic over the past 3 years.
                it is almost impossible to keep up with the volume of post as it is. Having to wade through a lot of ‘paying my dues’ posts, would potentially dilute the quality. I’d give it a week before you’re asking me to post less

Also are we convinced any of it would work?
                i would imagine most bookmakers have social media teams. It would be easy for them to create a few profiles in the limited number of forums such as this and monitor the posts if they felt they were now in the dark?

However I do think we should move the forum Yankees to the members section, cos if my experience of previous festivals iss anything to go by, their poor record will only put off lurkers

Whilst I’m waxing lyrical, I’d just like to express my appreciation to all the prolific posters who give up their time on here. Special mention to Kev for his tireless enthusiasm.

I think there maybe a significant FJ contingent from the North West? A post Cheltenham pub social (if they are ever allowed again) for members might be an idea? I’ll buy the first round if the mystery horse wins and I’ve guessed it right

In summary, FJ doesn’t need to change too much, like an earlier poster, it is now the first and last place I check on the web and is an oasis of normality in a world gone mad!

Comment

• I think at the very least going members only for some aspects of the forum makes good sense. For one reason, once a lurker (hello) has an account up and running it removes a significant barrier to contribution.

On the other hand, if people want to discuss a certain horse or aspect of racing outside of the forum there’s always direct messaging? A forum is based on mutual sharing and it seems an odd idea to create a public forum then change a formula that proves successful.

I’d also be more than happy to subscribe for a modest fee, but fear that’s also going to change the entire fabric of a public forum.

Nice to log in and post again!
                  (Point of order about removing non contributing members btw - I hibernate throughout the flat rat season)

Comment

• This thread has suddenly evoked responses from lots of infrequent posters.

Just saying.

Comment

• The silent majority Chuck

Comment

• Originally posted by Brital View Post
                        Interesting thread and I concur with most comments on here:
                        - no problem with a balance of member and public threads
                        - happy to contribute to the upkeep
                        ​​​​​​- not sure forcing people to post more than they feel comfortable with is the way to go forward. I’ve noticed a huge increase in traffic over the past 3 years.
                        it is almost impossible to keep up with the volume of post as it is. Having to wade through a lot of ‘paying my dues’ posts, would potentially dilute the quality. I’d give it a week before you’re asking me to post less

Also are we convinced any of it would work?
                        i would imagine most bookmakers have social media teams. It would be easy for them to create a few profiles in the limited number of forums such as this and monitor the posts if they felt they were now in the dark?

However I do think we should move the forum Yankees to the members section, cos if my experience of previous festivals iss anything to go by, their poor record will only put off lurkers

Whilst I’m waxing lyrical, I’d just like to express my appreciation to all the prolific posters who give up their time on here. Special mention to Kev for his tireless enthusiasm.

I think there maybe a significant FJ contingent from the North West? A post Cheltenham pub social (if they are ever allowed again) for members might be an idea? I’ll buy the first round if the mystery horse wins and I’ve guessed it right

In summary, FJ doesn’t need to change too much, like an earlier poster, it is now the first and last place I check on the web and is an oasis of normality in a world gone mad!
                        Disparaging the forum yankees? MoM will be here any moment to spank your bare bottom with the Envoi/Samcro double at triple figures one of them gave us last year!

Comment

• Not WW, still not over that.

Comment

• It was only after the race that I saw the stat about first time headgear - I’m still bitter champagne fever got turned over - ruined a good day!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post

I think the original point of it being made was because there was no way of setting an alert on our phones to an update in the OFTS thread. And the stress of a non runner a fortnight before the festival.. missing out by minutes by not checking the forum is a lot of stress.

So with no way of a notification from that particular thread, the WhatsApp group was made. Just to give some people a couple of minutes head start. Which tbh I think is a really good idea. Doesn’t replace the thread, but just allows for those who would like to be notified, but physically can’t check the forum, still get such crucial info.
                              It was indeed that very reason MoM, i dont get much chance when in the office to get on here and if i did i would spend all day on here so the WA group was handy for a quick look and cashout if needed. Like Kev says as long as it gets on here soon after if works well.

Comment

• As someone who spent a full national hunt season lurking before joining, I have to agree with some that making it paid, would lower the new applicants wanting to join and turn them away.

I suppose certain areas could be hidden as has also been mentioned, yankees, out of the festival and the likes. Certainly not the parts that make the forum so good and what it is all about.

But I don’t think people who post less than others are doing so because they just want to get all the info and prices discussed on the forum and think this could come across as quite judgemental. We know each other only by this forum and names (some may know each other outside these boundaries), we don’t know each other’s circumstances outside the walls of this forum.

Ista just set up a very meaningful thread for discussing any troubles or issues people have felt in a tough year if people feel they are willing to share. So whether it is health issues or just work commitments that stop people being on as much I don’t think we can hold that against them.

Everyone that has joined has been welcomed with open arms, I was the same when I joined. The forum runs off that good nature the moment you join so that should be the at the forefront of trying to gain more applicants

Comment

Working...
                                X