Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Horses To Take Out Of Cheltenham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horses To Take Out Of Cheltenham

Without giving it too much thought I think these three fourth's should progress:-

Burbank
    Constantine Bay
    Coo Star Sivola

I expect Mohaayed to bolt up in a handicap at some point

Comment

If Labaik could consistently start...

Comment

Constantine Bay would have been the first I mentioned. Was almost stopped dead by the faller and then stayed on really well again.

Connections must be sick. Think they had four horses who all ran blinders but weren't quite good enough to win.

I'd also mention Buveur d'Air. Looks a real top notcher and could dominate the 2m Hurdling division.

Comment

Deans Road caught a fence wrong and was brought to an abrupt halt, the fact it almost made the places was a very credible effort.

May still be under the radar and will probably go off again at a big price.

Comment

Minella Rocco is obvious - lightly raced and only 7. Not convinced his jumping will survive a national but probably a spring horse and likely to disappoint and drift next winter.

Comment

Originally posted by SH1591 View Post
              If Labaik could consistently start...
              Some talk on twitter that other trainers should conjure up false starts when he lines up.

Comment

Presenting Percy. - would have won the Albert Bartlett
                DDS - best juvenile for a long time

Comment

Originally posted by mayo View Post
                  Presenting Percy. - would have won the Albert Bartlett
                  DDS - best juvenile for a long time
                  If staying over 2m hurdles I think he could be a huge huge player next year

Comment

Quite a few didn't give their running so hard to assess, Yorkhill over further could be very good and I would expect Ruby to push for a Gold cup campaign next season, I'm sure he won't want to be looking forward to challenging for a place on Djakadam again

Comment

The horses mentioned above would be ones who will hopefully step forward on their Festival performances.

The two horses from the Festival that I would view in a negative light would be Yorkhill and Un De Sceaux. I couldn't see why their two wins have attracted quite so much praise.

Yorkhill displayed hardly any of the expected complications but only beat what was a pretty ordinary Grade 2 field by a length. Ruby said he idled but personally I don't think he could have found another length. Take your pick? I think he is more likely to end up dropping in trip rather than going further but whatever distance he will surely need to improve to land a well contested Grade 1. In a better race would those wayward tendencies reappear?

I suspect Un De Sceaux probably didn't need to run to anything more than about 163 to take the Ryanair. I doubt very much Sub Lieutenant has run within 7lbs of his mark and it seems even less likely that Aso has suddenly found a dramatic improvement. He took advantage of the race falling apart. Empire Of Dirt was 14-20lbs below his best and less surprisingly Uxizandre bombed. In short Un De Sceaux didn't really have to do much more than produce a clean round.

Of course it depends on the opposition but I suspect both these horses are going to be worth taking on.

Comment

Originally posted by kinloch brae View Post
                        The horses mentioned above would be ones who will hopefully step forward on their Festival performances.

The two horses from the Festival that I would view in a negative light would be Yorkhill and Un De Sceaux. I couldn't see why their two wins have attracted quite so much praise.

Yorkhill displayed hardly any of the expected complications but only beat what was a pretty ordinary Grade 2 field by a length. Ruby said he idled but personally I don't think he could have found another length. Take your pick? I think he is more likely to end up dropping in trip rather than going further but whatever distance he will surely need to improve to land a well contested Grade 1. In a better race would those wayward tendencies reappear?

I suspect Un De Sceaux probably didn't need to run to anything more than about 163 to take the Ryanair. I doubt very much Sub Lieutenant has run within 7lbs of his mark and it seems even less likely that Aso has suddenly found a dramatic improvement. He took advantage of the race falling apart. Empire Of Dirt was 14-20lbs below his best and less surprisingly Uxizandre bombed. In short Un De Sceaux didn't really have to do much more than produce a clean round.

Of course it depends on the opposition but I suspect both these horses are going to be worth taking on.
                        I would go along with all of that. I think they might try Yorkhill over further this season and can easily drop him back to 2m or just go back for the Ryanair again next time. If Henderson want to win GB trainers Altior might go for the Melling ?

Comment

Originally posted by kinloch brae View Post

Yorkhill is the type that people will either love or hate. When you consider he beat Jett by 1.25 lengths virtually the same as top notch i think it clearly shows he idles when put in front. He did the exact same vs Yanworth + OO Seven. Yorkhill displayed very little of the previous tendencies as he was given a fairly good ride. When he is kept in cover he can be kept quiet. Ruby does it very well. If anything though, he was put to the front a good bit too early, but when the gaps present themselves in that type of ride he was probably right to take it!
                          On his future targets as we know its completely up in the air. I wouldn't know where to start as they have Douvan to consider when he comes back as well. Hence the difficulty with Nichols Canyon this year- if one of the CH two had come back he wouldnt have been running over 2m like he did most of the season. Once they get Douvan back, and see what he's about after this injury, Yorkhill's target will probably become clearer. One thing i do know is Yorkhill will still have the odd bad race like Punchestown last year, he's not going to be a Douvan and win baring fall/injury as he's nowhere as professional.

For UDS- his race didn't go to plan as he went off like a buck which they hadn't planned on doing. I think over 2m5, the fact he won running like that is fairly impressive. His jumping was pretty much electric minus maybe 1. I will still admit i prefer him over 2miles flying out in front but on this ground he is good over 2m5 as well it seems. I understand your thoughts on the other horses not performing, but that often happens when a horse runs from the front and gets the rest out of their comfort zones.

Comment

The Worlds End - Was tanking and just moved upsides in the AB before tumbling at the 2nd last. Don't know if he'd of beaten Penhill but had first run on the leaders and would of been at least in the places judging by the way he was moving at the time

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
                              Quite a few didn't give their running so hard to assess, Yorkhill over further could be very good and I would expect Ruby to push for a Gold cup campaign next season, I'm sure he won't want to be looking forward to challenging for a place on Djakadam again
                              Agree MMG, and I've had my first 2018 a/p punt that that's the route they'll plot for him.

Where do you think they will go with Melon? Looked like he has the stature to make a nice chaser - Arkle contender?

Comment

Working...
                              X