Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Supreme Novices 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scooby - you seem to be well up on anything coming over from France.... how-so? if you don't mind me asking. (It is brilliant, more info the better) - I''m just curious!

Comment

• Speaking of French horses... on the ATR website MArtin Kelly has put up a Ricci one that slipped under the radar, although I see is 20/1 for the Supreme...

Sharjah (FR)
      4-y-o; gelding
      Breeding: Doctor Dino - Saaryeh (Royal Academy)
      Trained by: W P Mullins
      Last Race: Gowran Park, 29 Sep 2017 14:15
      Result: Won/19, led early, headed 2nd, regained lead 3 out, went clear approaching last, shaken up briefly run-in, stayed on strongly, easily
      View full form

Willie Mullins has hit the ground running this autumn and it was impossible not to be impressed with Sharjah’s winning debut at Gowran at the end of September.

Running in the Rich Ricci colours, the four-year-old was prominent under Ruby Walsh from the outset and showed plenty of boot to extend away and collect by an laughably easy five lengths.

Sharjah was a mile-and-a-half winner in France and was given a year off after his arrival at Mullins’s yard – a tactic which seems to work well and gives the French horses time to acclimatise.

It is impossible to know where he sits in the Mullins pecking order but I thought this was a taking debut and he looks a sure-fire Graded winner in waiting.
      Know anything about him?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
        scooby - you seem to be well up on anything coming over from France.... how-so? if you don't mind me asking. (It is brilliant, more info the better) - I''m just curious!
        I follow the French racing as the prices normally missed om there first start over here, (ie malaya would be 1/4 against gumball) on Francegalop.com when you read the form it tells you they have been deported. Each horse before running must be registered. on the horse racing ireland registrations page it tells you they have been registered. Ie owner/ trainer
        https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
        Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
          Speaking of French horses... on the ATR website MArtin Kelly has put up a Ricci one that slipped under the radar, although I see is 20/1 for the Supreme...

Know anything about him?
          I got told that this is Mullins Supreme horse this season. 50/1+ available on the exchanges.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
            I got told that this is Mullins Supreme horse this season. 50/1+ available on the exchanges.

Which one?
            I know of 18 ricci novice/juveniles

Comment

• Sharjah. He was impressive on his hurdling debut, although he didn't beat much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                Which one?
                I know of 18 ricci novice/juveniles
                Had 8 runs on the flat before joining mullins, so there's no way of translating that form over hurdles however his flat form is very good, on his last start the 2 horses that finished in front of him have gone on to be campaigned exclusively in listed and group 2s, being a few lenghts behind vazirabad and cloth of stars respectively.

Could be another Melbourne cup horse down the line

Comment

• I'm always a bit skeptical about the early season runners for WPM with regards to novice hurdle races at the festival.

Champagne Fever, Douvan & Faugheen all started their preparations in November, all went on to win and were indeed WPM's main hopes (based on the betting), whilst Vautour & Min were December, 1st and 2nd respectively at the festival but again were WPM's main hopes, and as proved the case Melon had a monumental task to win the Supreme with only the one run before the actual festival, and that was in January, but finished a solid 2nd, but again was his main hope on race day.

For me there seems to be a bit of a pattern, his best novices do not come out before November, so that they peak for the festival, he does indeed send out some decent novices out prior to his best appearing for the season to keep the yard ticking over and to pick up nice pots for all connections, if their respective horses are good enough.

Comment

• I was at Gowran for Sharjah straight after the stable visit. They were pretty confident.

As far as the start date is concerned, COD's rule of thumb is pretty sound because the ones that are seen as spring festival prospects don't come back in until the end of July. However, there are always one or two who may not be quite ready for Punchestown and their novice status is preserved for the next season with Galway an early target. Bachasson and Long Dog would be examples and, of course, Penhill last season.

Comment

No triumph thread but Malay a is also entered up on Sunday where if she runs I expect her to smash gumball on the bridle. French mare straight from the top draw.
                      Sam t d jocked up. Will be very interested in the opening betting after gumball romping home previously and hoping the market will be all wrong.
                      Very excited about Malaya, the best purchase iv seen so far for me, imo head and shoulders above apples shakira.
                      with melody of scotland for jp/ king another very nice mare.

Comment

• Loving the info on Malaya Scooby, cheers, hoping the market is all wrong like you say.

Comment

• Cheers for the info scooby mate

Comment

Sam t d jocked up. Will be very interested in the opening betting after gumball romping home previously and hoping the market will be all wrong.
                            Very excited about Malaya, the best purchase iv seen so far for me, imo head and shoulders above apples shakira.
                            with melody of scotland for jp/ king another very nice mare.
                            Good shout on Malaya and I will keep an eye on her.

One thing I do always have an issue with is collateral French form as it quite often does not stack up when the horses enter training in the UK or Ireland and you can see dramatic improvements. For instance, Vautour was beaten twice in France before moving to Mullins. On his second start he was beaten 6l by Black River getting 4lbs. Vautour went on to be a 176 chaser and Black River a lowly 132. These young, inexperienced horses are all brought along at different rates so for some, their French form can be barely scratching the surface of their ability but for others it could be as good as they get.

So although the form of Malaya looks impressive right now, I'd take a punt that Apples Shakira may turn out to be the better horse in time.

Comment

• Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
                              Good shout on Malaya and I will keep an eye on her.

One thing I do always have an issue with is collateral French form as it quite often does not stack up when the horses enter training in the UK or Ireland and you can see dramatic improvements. For instance, Vautour was beaten twice in France before moving to Mullins. On his second start he was beaten 6l by Black River getting 4lbs. Vautour went on to be a 176 chaser and Black River a lowly 132. These young, inexperienced horses are all brought along at different rates so for some, their French form can be barely scratching the surface of their ability but for others it could be as good as they get.

So although the form of Malaya looks impressive right now, I'd take a punt that Apples Shakira may turn out to be the better horse in time.
                              I agree completely with what you are saying, you cant always take the form literally. but with the likes of vautour (maccaire) they know what they are doing when retaining there novice status for a higher fee. And recommending them to Pierre boullard/ mullins
                              Last edited by Scooby91; 13 October 2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

I agree completely with what you are saying, you cant always take the form literally. but with the likes of vautour (maccaire) they know what they are doing when retaining there novice status for a higher fee. And recommending them to Pierre boullard/ mullins
                                Very true indeed. But with all the pontential non-tryers in the races it just adds to the form conundrum. All that being said, I'd be very surprised if both Malaya and Apples Shakira weren't contesting the Triumph in March. They are with powerful trainers with good records in the race and they've both actually jumped hurdles in race conditions.

Comment

Working...
                                X