Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

The Hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bandages are off and I'm ready to re enter the fray!

Comment

Originally posted by robith View Post
      The bandages are off and I'm ready to re enter the fray!
      welcome back robith

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
        welcome back robith
        I've done the analysis and learnt my lessons

- Singles are vital - don't rely on multiples. Believed my own hype this year.
        - Looking back since I've been into the sport (since 2014) I average 6 winners per festival, but an astonishing 14 places per festival. Doing more win only bets this year was a big misstep
        - Stung the year before I placed fewer ante post bets last year, but this mostly meant horses I fancied a long way out (UDS, Yorkhill, DDS for eg) I simply got at far worse prices

Comment

- Looking back since I've been into the sport (since 2014) I average 6 winners per festival, but an astonishing 14 places per festival. Doing more win only bets this year was a big misstep
          - Stung the year before I placed fewer ante post bets last year, but this mostly meant horses I fancied a long way out (UDS, Yorkhill, DDS for eg) I simply got at far worse prices
          Welcome back

Good, solid and actionable lessons!

I've certainly had more singles this year too

Comment

I'm also making a conscious effort to place more singles this year, and making use of the 'win any race' markets where possible.

Kev - out of interest, what percentage of your singles are each way bets at the moment? I rarely do them this far in advance of the festival (due to losing double the amount if they don't run) but feel like I may be missing a trick. Do you only place them when you are almost certain of their target?

Comment

I'm also making a conscious effort to place more singles this year, and making use of the 'win any race' markets where possible.

Kev - out of interest, what percentage of your singles are each way bets at the moment? I rarely do them this far in advance of the festival (due to losing double the amount if they don't run) but feel like I may be missing a trick. Do you only place them when you are almost certain of their target?
              Just over half...(22/42) but that does not factor in that there are few horses, that when I've had a bet each way (1 pt e/w) I've also then topped up 1 pt on the win only.... which would bring it to a bit under half.

Yes - I do only try to place each way when I am confident of the target. If I was being critical I could probably only pick out 3/4 horses that I have backed so far each way that I think the target might be wrong. (One is Yorkhill at 20s which was a calculated risk, as I thought if I guess the taget right, my place part will be bigger than the SP), the others being Getabird, Supreme and Yanworth and Willoughby Court in the JLT, and to be honest I'm pretty happy with the latter two anyway.

It is price related though - anything less than 8/1 and I struggle to place it.

I wouldn't say you're "missing a trick", but having some horses at place odds that are bigger than SP last year made the festival a lot easier than I would have found it without going each way!!! and just having a look back through at some of my prices last year - (Buveur D'air 16/1 - 5/1), (Petit Mouchoir 33/1 - 6/1), (UNWIMH 25/1-evns) , (Sizing John 33/1-7/1), (Limini 10/1-13/8), (Might Bite 12/1- 7/2), (Special Tiara 25/1 - 11/1), (Top Notch 20/1 - 7/2), (Disko 33/1 - 4/1) I'll definitely be doing the same again.

Comment

Thanks for that Kev, appreciate you pulling that together for me.

Comment

Thanks for that Kev, appreciate you pulling that together for me.
                  A welcome distraction from looking at Saturday's ITV cards

Comment

Looking through my spreadsheet yesterday I realised I have already surpassed the amount I bet antepost last season and the new season has only just begun...

Last season I had 64.3pts Staked across 41 bets and as of today I now have 65pts staked (over 42 different bets)

I was always going to be in a better position this year after having a wedding and house renovations over the past couple of seasons but that realisation was a tad worrying! In fairness I have purposely built up a fair amount on a set 4-5 horses this season with the likes of Cause of Causes and Buveur D'Air deliberately through the summer unlike past years. Hopefully that tactic pays off come March...

In the past I have very very rarely had an each way single antepost bet however I have changed that slightly this year - 6 of my single bets have been each way this year which although doesn't sound a lot is probably more than the last 4 antepost seasons in total. I still do certainly have a reluctance to place these bets - like you FM as it can feel like losing double the amount but Kev's eachway results last year have made me try something different this year. I've particularly targeted novices in the any race market each way.

I agreed when reading about not having as many multiple bets but then went through my book and saw 22 of my 42 bets so far are multiples ha! Last year i had the Altior/Yorkhill double at 41/1. I know the vast majority won't win but I am keen to find that kind of bet once again, particularly early on.

Comment

Not sure if it's a Good thing or not !!!!. L.o.l. But i sailed through the 100 no A/p bets barrier on friday ,.
                      A lot of Buveur d'air , Altior and Nichols canyon in there and A lot more singles than ever before .
                      Definitely holding back on the supreme and neptune as so far out, other than the usual
                      talking horses .. annamix etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
                        I agreed when reading about not having as many multiple bets but then went through my book and saw 22 of my 42 bets so far are multiples ha! Last year i had the Altior/Yorkhill double at 41/1. I know the vast majority won't win but I am keen to find that kind of bet once again, particularly early on.
                        I've just had a look at my multiples record:
                        2010: had none!
                        2011: -1pt
                        2012: -12 pts
                        2013: had none!
                        2014: -2 pts (staked 30 pts)
                        2015: +38 pts (staked 40 pts)
                        2016: -6 pts* (staked 94 pts)
                        2017: +80 pts (staked 300 pts)

*2016, I was hurt by the Faugheen injury (and Annie switch to CH for 36 pts in NR, which was over 1/2 of my stakes at the time).

Not going to do the maths to see what % of my stakes are multiples but looking at my figures I would say I've never had more than 25% of my total stake for the week in multiples.

Not really too sure what to make of that

Comment

If this Snow carries on much Longer and any more of my A.p bets go south and The weather doesn't improve for the Festival,
                          and i haven't done any chelt bets for a week and the Handicaps are making my head spin, I'll be needing "The Hospital "

Comment

Working...
                          X