Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Cross Country Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a two time festival winner, if he wasn't in the Grand National this year, do you think he'd be running in this race CCM?

If I hadn't alrady had a bet in this race, looking at the market today I would definitely be backing Auvergnat each way at 8/1!

UR at Chelt isn't ideal, but he got pretty close to Cantlow on his first attempt over the cross country fences and has a win to his name, looking like he'd improved quite a bit. Best work late on and at Cheltenham was going well before the UR incident.

Is Urgent De Gregaine still a likely runner?

Comment

• COC will be my lay of the festival at these prices - it's absolute lunacy that he is so short.

I can't see how his style of running is suited to the x country. The obstacles will come far too quick for him and I can see him being right out the back early on and stuggling to get into any sort of rhythm.

Easily the worst price of the festival as things stand.

Comment

• Last I heard they were 50/50 mate I think. Haven't heard anything since.

I think Bless The Wings is still value at 14/1. Although Cantlow beat him comprehensively, he will be 10lb better off, is only 12 (not that old for this race!) and ran a blinder last year.

I just think its a race severely lacking in quality horses, and whilst it is a speciality discipline to some extent, I dont think it would take extensive schooling for a decent quality animal, who jumps well, to be a big player in it. Third Intention made his banks debut in this race last year and was probably the only horse not experienced in the whole field, yet finished 4th. As I mentioned before, Balthazar King proved that experience wasn't vital if you had the aptitude for it when he won. Likewise Rivage d'Or, who I think had also only had one run over Banks fences, prior to winning this.

As for your initial question, I dont really know tbh. His mark would make it very tough for him in the handicaps I suppose, so I guess they were short on options. They must have wanted to come to the Festival with him as he has proved he likes it there. And presumably connections must think this will suit him. If they merely want a blow out to put him spot on for the GN, surely there were countless other options than this?

But I do agree the value has long gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
          I think I asked about Usual Smurfer earlier on in this thread actually and someone had some info...
          Of the others I'm starting to like this one.
          Is this one definitely heading this way ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
            Of the others I'm starting to like this one.
            Is this one definitely heading this way ?
            Think Shark give him as a charity bet at early previews

Comment

• I took some 16s earlier but have Cantlow in just about every multiple bet I've placed, could run very well though this one

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Vic View Post
                Think Shark give him as a charity bet at early previews
                Shark put usual smurfer up as his charity bet at our preview night
                He put 25 each way at 33s for the charity
                Shark used to train this horse,but it was moved when the owner put all his horses with Alan Fleming

Comment

• The French horse misses the race

Comment

• Not one I'd backed but I did pan to in the day.

Good news for Cantlow fans

Comment

• Not a race I spend much time on but have to say Sausalito Sunrise is very interesting. His handicap mark has come down 11 pounds (and he's still joint top OR), he's been lumping top weight in good handicaps but is now off levels in this and if he takes to these fences he could be different class. The Hobbs team knows what it takes to win this race and at 12/1, on ground he will enjoy, he has to have a real chance. Put it like this: if he can reproduce his close 3rd in the 3m 5f Bet365 Gold Cup last April (off 159) he will win this easily!

Comment

• What is the stat about horses having their first go in this? That'd put me off? I would like them to have a spin first? PLenty of good horses have had a go and not transfered it to this discipline?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                          What is the stat about horses having their first go in this?
                          Horrific...

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                            Horrific...
                            Well.....Balthazar King (same stable) had run over the course just once before he won this race. That was in December when he was disputing 2nd before being carried out before the last. Rivage D'or had not run over the course (or any Banks course) when he won in 2015. Lacdoudal, also trained by Hobbs (there's a theme here) finished a 5l 3rd in the 2010 running on his first attempt.

Comment

• Yes BOF, Rivage D'Or hadn't contested a banks race before but he remains the only winner of this race to have done so, for win purposes it pays to stick to those who have demonstrated a liking for the course.
                              There have been winners of the Nov and Dec race who were making their banks debut.

Comment

• I did a bit of research on this the other day, and I thought horses making their debut actually came out pretty well overall. Can't see enough evidence to suggest it's a big negative myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X