Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Equine Flu Outbreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equine Flu Outbreak

This is seriously bad news!

Is it going too far to suggest this could be something that puts the festival at risk of even happening?

Comment

Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
      Is it going too far to suggest this could be something that puts the festival at risk of even happening?
      No. I think it has to be in serious doubt. I suppose it all depends how quickly they can get things under control. The fact that infected horses travelled to two separate racecourses, at two ends of the country, is a massive cause for concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
        No. I think it has to be in serious doubt. I suppose it all depends how quickly they can get things under control. The fact that infected horses travelled to two separate racecourses, at two ends of the country, is a massive cause for concern.
        Blimey - I hadn’t thought of that.

Worrying stuff.

Comment

D McCain the only trainer to have runners at Ayr and Ludlow?

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
            D McCain the only trainer to have runners at Ayr and Ludlow?
            I just read his name elsewhere too

Comment

Awful this, just hope they get it in control asap. The vets will be busy over the next few days and hopefully will get any affected horses into quarantine. Apparently when this broke in Oz it took 4 months to sort out so lets hope its nowhere near the scale of that.

Hopefully all horses concerned will be ok and not at risk

Comment

And there was us all looking forward to Angels Breath v Emitom today!

Comment

Another thing is that Gordon had runners at Ayr as well.

Comment

Assuming yards were notified before the press release they would have barely been home I would think also I note Irish racing haven’t cancelled today

Comment

...major concern, but hopefully there are lessons learned from the Australian outbreak and plans in place to immediately manage this.

On the positive side, the cases have quickly come to light but the concern is runners from the same yard carrying the virus for a week or so. I suppose lots depends on whether horses running at the meetings can be isolated and tested, particularly those running in the same races.

Grooms, stall handlers etc can apparently pass the bug on according to Sky News, who also mention Donald McCain’s yard as the probable source.
                      Last edited by Eggs; 7 February 2019, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Just been reading up, very strange they are not cancelling in Ireland after Gordy was at Ayr yesterday surely???
                        When they had this in Aus the racing industry was shut down for 4 months!

Comment

I am sure everyone will be fully on top of this. Far better this happening now than a month from now.

Comment

Have Paddy Power priced up a special on whether Cheltenham will take place. I'd like some insurance

Comment

Would Gordons have made it back to the yard by the time the announcement was made? Youd be hopeful they would of not been allowed to get that far.

Comment

Working...
                              X