Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Champion Hurdle 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate that this side of the Irish Sea we hardly live in a micro tropical climate but I can't imagine the Leopardstown ground being anything other than soft/heavy in early Feb, how many UK based trainers will want to risk their festival horses being bottomed out in a deep ground slog 5 weeks before Cheltenham ?
    Not that it did the Irish horses any harm last year of course....

Comment

FM - Ista - (anyone)

For the sake of conversation...

If FM is right, and we started having these 'big clashes' before Cheltenham, would people see that as a positive or a negative to the "Cheltenham experience".

I think it's impossible to say it doesn't add to the season as a whole, however I can't help feeling I'd be a tad underwhelmed if BVD goes over to Ireland, swots Samcro aside and we've had an entire season 'wasted' with Samcro when he's going in to Chelt for that very specific race as a clear 2nd fav...... and even if BVD went over and Samcro swotted him aside, I can't imagine I'd be as excited as I was without a bet on it!

Comment

Or worse still, something that was expected to have a chance gets firmly chinned and connections have a re-think.
        I’m thinking specifically about novice heats here, if a few think they’re inferior to a hotpot they might go for an alternative race (handicap ?) and an Arkle, RSA or JLT become virtual walkovers.

That said the Arkle has already become a race contested by only a handful and won convincingly by hotpots in recent years...

Comment

It can only add to the season. I'd like to see the best race against the best far more often. Imo there is too much racing which allows connections to swerve a race for a softer option if they are that way inclined.

The greatest sport is built on rivalries. Imagine if Samcro was beat a short head by BD at Leopardstown, the build up to Cheltenham would be at fever pitch.

Comment

I don’t disagree FM but there is a risk the reverse will happen.

In years gone by Cheltenham was seen as a Championship meeting where the best Irish horses came over to compete against the best UK horses, I know the clock has moved on but there is a danger Dublin could complicate the Championship status of some races.
            Trainers/owners will have the final say I guess....

Comment

UK Trainers barely send anyone over for Punchestown, because they prefer Aintree and don’t think the three are doable, so I don’t think we will see loads of horses going over for the Dublin festival as they would still
              Be asking them to do 3 festivals in 3 months just in a different order.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                FM - Ista - (anyone)

For the sake of conversation...

If FM is right, and we started having these 'big clashes' before Cheltenham, would people see that as a positive or a negative to the "Cheltenham experience".

I think it's impossible to say it doesn't add to the season as a whole, however I can't help feeling I'd be a tad underwhelmed if BVD goes over to Ireland, swots Samcro aside and we've had an entire season 'wasted' with Samcro when he's going in to Chelt for that very specific race as a clear 2nd fav...... and even if BVD went over and Samcro swotted him aside, I can't imagine I'd be as excited as I was without a bet on it!
                The part about "season wasted" is only true if you think Cheltenham is the be all and end all of NH racing.

At Samcro's experience level, a few easy pots this side of Christmas probably wouldn't teach him much, if he was to race BDA + even lose, he would improve as a horse, and the return bout wouldn't be nailed on to happen the same way. It would just mean the two horses have actually had a top level race in preparation, rather than a walk in the park....like BDA did last year and Hendo admitted he thought he was still undercooked.

Hurricane Fly- why do you UK trainers think this, but Irish trainers don't? They run their horses in the 3, and have been in general winning more races?

I do agree to an extent though, the Sprinter Sacre situation a few years back did show, it can be tough on them.

I just think nowadays, the Irish, especially Willie Mullins, is training is horses 100% for the 3 meetings---starting slower with them than even before (always an slow starter) and giving them less racing this side of Christmas.

Comment

If Samcro is staying over hurdles, the only 3 feasible races to start in are the Istabraq (Tipp early October - too early?), the WKD (Down Royal early November) or the Morgiana (Punchestown mid November).

There are far more opportunities in beginners chases and given his history you'd say he'd be ready to go mid October. I wouldn't back him in the CH with stolen money until he's declared for a graded hurdle.

Comment

Any news regarding If The Cap Fits? Out to 50/1 with PP

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                      Any news regarding If The Cap Fits? Out to 50/1 with PP
                      Think its just a problem with oddschecker with paddy power prices. Drifted on oddscheker on a few horses at paddy but normal odds on site

Comment

• Originally posted by SAMCRO View Post
                        Think its just a problem with oddschecker with paddy power prices. Drifted on oddscheker on a few horses at paddy but normal odds on site
                        Yeah just came back on top say that it looks like an error. Was about to get giddy!

Comment

• Originally posted by jack1092 View Post
                          The part about "season wasted" is only true if you think Cheltenham is the be all and end all of NH racing.

At Samcro's experience level, a few easy pots this side of Christmas probably wouldn't teach him much, if he was to race BDA + even lose, he would improve as a horse, and the return bout wouldn't be nailed on to happen the same way. It would just mean the two horses have actually had a top level race in preparation, rather than a walk in the park....like BDA did last year and Hendo admitted he thought he was still undercooked.
                          To be honest I'd streams by what I said.

They're potentially keeping Samcro over hurdles for one race ... and one race only. If he does pick up pots before then, so what? It's delaying him going chasing and it'll be am underwhelming season for me if he is swotted aside.

I don't think he'd grey swotted aside mind you, but anything but a won has wasted a season over hurdles.

This next bit isn't specific to you jack bit also don't like the reasoning to keep him over hurdles because of the wealth of staying novice chasets Gigginstown have. The pecking order is Samcro number 1, the rest a clear 2nd! They have no issue running multiple horses in races either so I don't expect that to have any serious sway on Samcro and his target

Comment

• Summerville Boy confirmed as staying over hurdles. Fighting fifth the early target.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRowebot View Post
                              Summerville Boy confirmed as staying over hurdles. Fighting fifth the early target.
                              Welcome back ...

You fancy Summerville Boy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                                Welcome back ...

You fancy Summerville Boy?
                                Thanks mate - the proper racing is in sight.

Not sure re: Summerville Boy. Was a decent performance in the supreme but champion could be good if BD, Samcro, Melon all turn up.

Comment

Working...
                                X