Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham 2018 Ante post bets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Old Vic View Post
    Coney Island - fill your boots
    That's my line of thinking OV.

Comment

• Samcro looks to be a future star, all being well. Not an ante post proposition at the moment as he could turn up in any of the novice hurdle races next season (Supreme or Neptune most likely imo).

Hopefully someone will offer double figures when the 'any race' markets become available.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
        Samcro looks to be a future star, all being well. Not an ante post proposition at the moment as he could turn up in any of the novice hurdle races next season (Supreme or Neptune most likely imo).

Hopefully someone will offer double figures when the 'any race' markets become available.
        He certainly does Faugheen and one I'll certainly want to be backing. Agree on the 'any race' market for him. I'm sure blow by blow and him will look to be kept apart. Originally I thought Samcro would be the ideal AB horse for next year but he showed plenty of speed today and I wouldn't be surprised if Elliott favoured the Supreme/Neptune for them both and looked to swerve the longer trip for his best horse(s) after Death Duty this year.

The good thing with Samcro too is how much better he acted on the good ground. Will stand him in good stead for the major Spring festivals.

Comment

• I'll also be waiting and hoping for double digits for Samcro, currently 20/1, 16/1 and 16/1 for the three novice races so I think there is a chance
          Same goes for blow by blow, might even ask skybet for odds on them both to win and both to place in any race. They love their requestabets

1st couple of bets for me are

Our Duke @ 33/1 and 25/1 after the festival - very small stakes that I'm already kicking myself about
          UNWIMH @20/1 for the stayers...I'm expecting him to win a couple of early races and will then lay off my stake

Side note but I viewed this forum everyday in the run up to the festival but didn't join until tonight, looking forward to the next year

Comment

• Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
            I know it's Mullins again, but Yorkhill at 33/1 looks overpriced for the Champion Hurdle should they revert back.
            Gutted I never managed to back this on the exchanges before that announcement was made by Willie. I had every intention of trading the 33's on the exchange market at some point! Payday just didn't come quick enough!

Comment

• William Hill offred me 12/1 for Samcro to win any race at next years festival. It was bigger than I expected given that SkyBet cut him to 7/1 yesterday. Anyway, it's my earliest ever bet on a novice hurdler and quite a big one too. I'm hoping they skip Punchestown though and don't go chasing the money!

Comment

• 12/1 is definitely bigger than I would have expected, I might have to reuse my WH account for that.

I thought he would have been kept for Punchestown but I don't think they would make him run twice in two weeks given the future he appears to have infront of him.

You would think Samcro and BBB will be kept apart, and I'm purely spit balling but would anyone be surprised if Gigginstown avoids the AB with its first string? Death Duty and No more heroes both being turned over in the last two years, if they did I would assume Samcro for the supreme and BBB for the Neptune but that also depends on us even seeing BBB again and a lot can change in the next 11 months

Comment

• It isn't on the website HF but I'm sure they'll give you out of you go through live chat. I've asked several firms for a quote and they were standout best price.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                    That's my line of thinking OV.
                    50s? Coney Island? - Good spot OV.

Can certainly see why an angle in backing Our Duke now, if I back that I will certainly have to back the t'oher.

Need to get on Samcro too in the 'any race' market... still feels a little early though for that. BBB / Samcro both be very interesting?

My goodness I am looking forward to Barters Hill and Robin Roe coming back too!

Coneygree 50s with PP, 16s with 365 ... stupid price for the GC! Obviously plenty against him even making it, age, ability, soundness, ground dependant... but whats 1 point

Comment

• CoC at 9/1 is just a ridiculously generous price with 365 for the XC chase.

I am going to stick at least 2 points on every time I get paid and just consider it as "tax" .... be hoping for a rebate in March

Comment

• For the sake of conversation -

I actually think it's a tough call, though I would side with Douvan - less risk involved (in terms of the horses versatility, settling etc) and I do think he is the most talented horse in the yard. However if you side with Douvan for the Gold Cup you're also taking plenty of risk? He has none of the quirks of Yorkhill but if you look at a few factors playing devils advocate:

Distance - never raced beyond 17F so the 26.5F of the Gold Cup is a big question mark for him. He settles very well in his races, can be ridden in almost anyway and does look like he'll be able to at least cope with 2m4 - 3m but we're only basing that as well on the connections talk aren't we? Right now he's got as many questions marks with the distance as Yorkhill has who has raced over the middle distance at least.
                        The worry for me with Yorkhill would be that he would pull his way out of contention. Best performance was at Chelt, when covered up, and they'll potentially go very quick which could suit, but Douvan is just much more straight forward and as both are unproven, based purely on how well they settle, I'd pick Douvan over Yorkhill.

Form - That constant beating of Sizing John doesn't look bad now hey! However if you watched all of Douvan's races without any opinion from connections about him/how good he could be or idea on who trained him etc - would he look the best horse Willie has ever trained? A victim of not having the quality of opposition to show him at his best of course but I'm not sure you would - his jumping isn't foot perfect that's for sure. Compare him to say some of the performances Vautour put in? That's not meant to be bashing the horse - again I think he is likely to be right up there - just that again we are basing how good he is at least on some part to how highly connections rate him and him being there best ever. You have to take that onboard and it does mean something when the likes of Willie, Ruby etc say that but is it no different to Ruby saying Yorkhill is all over a Gold Cup Horse?
                        I'd think Douvan was closer to being a star than I would Yorkhill. Without the comments about Yorkhill, has he actually done anything impressively? He keeps getting a brilliant ride... that to me isn't the same as having great form. His form isn't bad, but I don't think getting beaten by R2R (no matter how much he was closing, or giving away this mythical an ultimately very dangerous to gift 30 lengths that keeps getting branded around).... the facts are, on form, Yorkhill has done nothing other than prove he's better than Top Notch over 2m4f? - Douvan has the extra year, and it isn't fair to say beating SJ is stronger, as SJ might be a stone better over 3m than he was over 2... but even so, I hadn't seen Douvan off the bridle yet.... he is just totally opposite and watching without knowledge of connections I am convinced I would think Douvan was a better horse.
                        Track - he would have won the Queen Mother without the injury i'm not for anyway saying otherwise but it's hard to argue against the fact that his least impressive (if you can call them that - the time of his Arkle win was very good) have been at the track. Certainly not an issue in my eyes or a negative but just comparing against Yorkhill - Yorkhill has shown his very best form at the track both years at the festival, importantly settling and jumping the best he has ever done.
                        Don't disagree with that, but as you say, certainly not a worry at this stage. Even Yorkhill's best performance wasn't better than Douvan's though... and at this stage beating SJ further than Yorkhill beat Top Notch makes Douvan's Chelt performance better? Would have to be another tick

True and the way Bellshill has progressed it doesn't look great on Yorkhill however not all horses will look a superstar straight away and especially in their novice hurdle season - the rate of improvement can vary. By the time of the festival '16 - wasn't it clear cut Yorkhill was a cut above Bellshill hence he took in the Neptune where connections were hugely confident and Bellshill made way as second string in the Supreme? Not quite the same but - the start of the 2014 Allez Colombieres was the main Ricci horse and the number one hype horse. Unfortunately we'll never know how good he was and you never know now he could have been the best ever but without barely a mention of him whilst AC was around (unless I am wrong here but I don't remember hearing about him at the time) - it was only after his demise that Douvan came on the scene as was then starting to get talked up so highly?
                        Yeh it was "clear cut" after Bellshill flopped in Ireland behind the JP owned horse for Mullins (Bleu Et Rouge maybe?) ... but before that I am convinced. I know it can change, but the contrast between the two is stark? They've never not said Douvan is anything but potentially very special... I do remember being slightly negative on the chances of Vautour (would it have been Vautour?) when they had the identikit replacement as the best novice when AC went wrong... but look how that turned out! Again, between the two, despite it not being a major factor or of any HUGE importance, Douvan again gets the tick.

Might Bite would be my pick out of all three, right now if you put a gun to my head (I still think either the 40/1 Triple Crown or backing each race straight after each race is a good price). If all three were campaigned for the GC though, all looked to get 3miles and on form i'd probably side with Douvan though
                        and in the end we agree, so I've wasted 15 minutes haha.

I am definitely warming to the idea of Our Duke being a huge contender. If Thistlecrack can come back and we don't get half the bad luck we had this year, this could be a mega race. Absolutely mega.

Comment

• William Hill also offered 20/1 for both Samcro and BBB to place in any race.

Will BBB be seen at Punchestown? If he confirms his talent any price around him will crumble

Comment

• Is that on the website HF?

Comment

• I requested via Twitter so I'm sure they would open it up to others if asked

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                                Is that on the website HF?
                                Contact @willhillhelp on Twitter Kev. I deposited £100, they placed the bet and gave me a reference code. Only problem is that the bet doesn't show in list of open bets.

Most other firms offered me either 7/1 or 8/1.

Comment

Working...
                                X