Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Martin Pipe 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's almost impossible to second guess what will turn up here but with nrnb bog it's worth a bit more ante post thought these days. One I took out of the weekend was MERI DEVIE. I've asked 365 for a price on her and they've come back with 16s (I had in my head that I wanted 20s). She seems to fit quite a few of the trends (cheers Gaultstats!)...

- 2nd season hurdler
    - Won a hurdle with at least 11 runners
    - Placed at graded level
    - Will have run within last 52 days of the festival
    - Trained by WPM

She ran 2nd in that good Fairyhouse handicap in early Dec behind David's Charm doing her best work late in the race, which has become a bit of a theme. Stepped up to 2m2f at the weekend she again finished well. She finished ahead of Delta Work (who I think Scooby has mentioned for this race) in a Grade 2 earlier this season, though admittedly 2m has proved over time to be insufficient for DW - but then so may it be for MD.

Anyway, for a Mullins horse with the same owners who had the well-backed fav last year, who has shown a liking for coming off a strong pace in a big-field handicap, has potential for improvement stepped up in trip, and off a sub-140 mark... I'm tempted to take some of the 16s nrnb.

Comment

Rewatched the race from Sunday and I thought Delta work was given a fairly easy ride, was no way all out to win that.

The addition of some head gear drop back in trip and not running against a horse who has 30lb in hand should help.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking Flagship View Post
        It's almost impossible to second guess what will turn up here but with nrnb bog it's worth a bit more ante post thought these days. One I took out of the weekend was MERI DEVIE. I've asked 365 for a price on her and they've come back with 16s (I had in my head that I wanted 20s). She seems to fit quite a few of the trends (cheers Gaultstats!)...

- 2nd season hurdler
        - Placed at graded level
        - Trained by WPM

She ran 2nd in that good Fairyhouse handicap in early Dec behind David's Charm doing her best work late in the race, which has become a bit of a theme. Stepped up to 2m2f at the weekend she again finished well. She finished ahead of Delta Work (who I think Scooby has mentioned for this race) in a Grade 2 earlier this season, though admittedly 2m has proved over time to be insufficient for DW - but then so may it be for MD.

Anyway, for a Mullins horse with the same owners who had the well-backed fav last year, who has shown a liking for coming off a strong pace in a big-field handicap, has potential for improvement stepped up in trip, and off a sub-140 mark... I'm tempted to take some of the 16s nrnb.
        I like this argument. Had her earmarked early on for the coral cup, but you're right that her mark and profile might be perfect for this race now. Had her added at 25s with Hills, happy to take the risk that it will be either this race or nothing for her at the festival so possibility of money back

Comment

Mullins Bingo is hard enough but Phil Smith Bingo can be even more challenging.

Comment

Originally posted by Folski View Post
            Rewatched the race from Sunday and I thought Delta work was given a fairly easy ride, was no way all out to win that.

The addition of some head gear drop back in trip and not running against a horse who has 30lb in hand should help.
            I thought Delta Work was an eye catcher too. Couldn't find him in the betting the other day, but 14/1 NRNB seems fair enough.
            Last edited by Can't Catch Me; 6 February 2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Project Bluebook dropped to 136. Was hoping 137/138 with this race in mind. 136 was the bottom that got in last year

Comment

Think I have one for this and have requested prices from 365 & Betfair.

Jetz has no entries at this moment in time.

Runs this season are as follows:

Beat Monbeg Worldwide by 5L over 2m4f at fairyhouse on soft.
                2nd behind Samcro by 12L in a grade 3 over 2m4f at Navan on soft/heavy.
                3rd behind Next Destination 7.25L, Cracking Smart 1.75L in a grade 2 over 2m4f at Navan on heavy.
                4th behind Next Destination 8.75L, Cracking Smart 7.25L, Duc De Genievrez 4.75L in a grade 1 over 2m4f at Navan on soft/heavy.
                2nd behind Tower Bridge head, in a grade 1 over 2m6f at Leopardstown on soft.

Yard do not have a great history in the race, only runner I could see is Macnicholson who was well down the field.

Being a nephew of Jezki and Jetson you would imagine Jetz would definitely improve for a bit of good ground.

Current Irish mark is 140.

Comment

- 2nd season hurdler
                  - Placed at graded level
                  - Trained by WPM

Would Meri Devie get the mares allowance in this race ?

Comment

No sex or age allowance in handicaps...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                      No sex or age allowance in handicaps...
                      Thanks Ista

Comment

- 2nd season hurdler
                        - Placed at graded level
                        - Trained by WPM

I have a feeling Meri Devie will end up in the County Hurdle, and the 25/1 NRNB is good enough for me, I think she'd have a good shout.

Comment

An interesting update in the Henderson blog this week:

“Despite saddling five runners in the Betfair Hurdle, sadly luck wasn’t on our side and it was LOUGH DERG SPIRIT who fared best of the quintet when finishing 6th and I was very pleased with that effort as he’d been off since early November. I can see him well capable of going up another half a mile and the Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys’ Hurdle could be next for him.”

Can’t see it quoted yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cashew King View Post
                            An interesting update in the Henderson blog this week:

“Despite saddling five runners in the Betfair Hurdle, sadly luck wasn’t on our side and it was LOUGH DERG SPIRIT who fared best of the quintet when finishing 6th and I was very pleased with that effort as he’d been off since early November. I can see him well capable of going up another half a mile and the Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys’ Hurdle could be next for him.”

Can’t see it quoted yet!
                            My long range pick for the Arkle ending up in the Martin Pipe

Have you/anyone requested any prices?

Comment

Same here Kev. First bet I placed in this years Festival was LDS for the Arkle. Seemed a good idea at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Can't Catch Me View Post
                                Same here Kev. First bet I placed in this years Festival was LDS for the Arkle. Seemed a good idea at the time.
                                I know jono was keen as well so thats is proof that even 3 world-class judges can get things wrong

I have requested a price with 365.

Comment

Working...
                                X