Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham 2021 - Ante Post Bets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In case not seen already, the background info below about Sir Gerhard might help explain why he's currently the Ante Post market leader for the Cheltenham bumper.

FROM THE TATTERSALLS CHELTENHAM SALE DECEMBER 2019 write-up

Few have shown the hunger for bright point-to-point prospects that Gordon Elliott has in recent times, and the leading trainer was back in action as he saw off Roger Brookhouse at £400,000 to secure the highly touted Sir Gerhard, who was offered by Coolmeen Stables.

The four-year-old son of Jeremy provided Ellmarie Holden with an almighty touch, having been picked up by the handler for €72,000 at the Goffs Land Rover Sale in 2018.

"It's amazing, just amazing," said a stunned-looking Holden shortly after the hammer came down. "From day one he was always very forward going, an easy horse to do anything with. Michael Shefflin bought him for us at the store sales."

There had been some big whispers for Sir Gerhard, who made a winning debut in a four-year-old maiden at Boulta late last month, and Holden, who was joined by her father Paul, said she had always held the horse in the highest regard.

"There was an awful lot of talk about him, but we knew ourselves - myself, Dad and Derek O'Connor - that he was a good horse, we've been mad about him at home," she said. "We've had a crazy day with people coming and looking at him."

Despite such a big reputation, Holden, who trains around 40 horses in County Kilkenny, seemed understandably bowled over with the six-figure sum the horse fetched. "You don't see that kind of money for a horse every day," she said. "It's brilliant."

Sir Gerhard was making his third appearance at public auction, having first been offered by Keatingstown House Stud at the Goffs November Sale in 2015, where Peter Molony's Rathmore Stud signed the docket at €17,000.

"He looks a nice horse and has a good rating," said Elliott. "We're delighted to have him. He looked like he's got a bit of class and a bit of speed, exactly the kind of horse you want. Jeremy's very fashionable too. He's been bought for an existing owner in the yard."

LINK TO VIDEO of his winning race debut at Boulta

����24 November 2019�� SIR GERHARD secured... - Tattersalls Cheltenham Sales

Comment

• The second he beat that day (easily) is now trained by Donald McCain.

16/1 is available, so quoting the shorter prices is a bit misleading, but 11/1 WH and 10/1 BetVictor is an absolutely disgusting price.

The second didn't even win next time out so it isn't like it's electric PTP form.

It reminds me of backing the 'Ricci' Supreme horse...seems a bit muggy, but they won a few in a row

Comment

• Princess Vega entered at Sligo on Friday. Wasn't she antepost fav for the mares novice last year before being ruled out for the season?

Comment

• What are people's thoughts on permutation bets? I have had some good success with these over the years but normally alot closer to the festival eg. in 2019, permed Altior and Tiger with Defi/LIT and Delta Work/TOTG/Santini in quadruples which paid a 110 point return off 6x1pt bet.

I am very strong on Shiskin and Envoi and see the Mares as being between Honeysuckle and Benie and the Cross Country between Easysland and Tiger, as I'm sure most currently think will be the case. I'm considering perming these with one or two other races where I have strong views as for a very small outlay there is the potential for a big return.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vautour View Post
            What are people's thoughts on permutation bets? I have had some good success with these over the years but normally alot closer to the festival eg. in 2019, permed Altior and Tiger with Defi/LIT and Delta Work/TOTG/Santini in quadruples which paid a 110 point return off 6x1pt bet.

I am very strong on Shiskin and Envoi and see the Mares as being between Honeysuckle and Benie and the Cross Country between Easysland and Tiger, as I'm sure most currently think will be the case. I'm considering perming these with one or two other races where I have strong views as for a very small outlay there is the potential for a big return.
            I usually do a couple of these very early antepost, and then do a couple more in the immediate lead up. They can be very profitable. I have a couple that I did back in April in my diary.
            Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more I sweat, the luckier I get.

Comment

• I caught some of the races at Auteuil yesterday. Heros D’ainay bombed, he came to win his race and then emptied when he got in.

James De Berlais smashed the opposition again. He was over hurdles yesterday and features in the Marsh market. He’s owned by Souede and Munir and has been very impressive so far. If they brought him over for the Festival he would put the cat amongst the pigeons

Comment

• Originally posted by Vautour View Post
                What are people's thoughts on permutation bets? I have had some good success with these over the years but normally alot closer to the festival eg. in 2019, permed Altior and Tiger with Defi/LIT and Delta Work/TOTG/Santini in quadruples which paid a 110 point return off 6x1pt bet.

I like the idea - I'd personally wait until NRNB though before I could start getting too involved in multiples like this. The prices will of course have tightened up but it's hard enough doing it the week before and getting winners... how many 'bankers' get turned over, I know that the most popular 3 did last year - that'd be on my mind too (of course I appreciate with this method you may still hit the target) but it's a balance between making Envoi and Shishkin (both yet to run in a Novice Chase) as they two lynch pins?

Comment

• Didnt know where to put this

Comment

• Could be some of the potential big bumper runners coming out the Elliott yard next week at Punchestown. He has Sir Gerhard, Glenglass and Magic Tricks all entered in the same race on Wednesday.

Comment

• 20 Weeks !!!!

Comment

• Couple of interesting bumper entries this Wednesday at Punchoestown. Cavallino for Willie & Patrick, owned by Malcolm Denmark (Next Destination etc..) and Magic Tricks (full brother to Abacadabras) for Elliott & JP. The latter was beat by Gars De Sceaux in his PTP, who, from what I can gather is highly thought of.
                        Last edited by ComplyOrDie; 26 October 2020, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
                          Could be some of the potential big bumper runners coming out the Elliott yard next week at Punchestown. He has Sir Gerhard, Glenglass and Magic Tricks all entered in the same race on Wednesday.
                          Magic Tricks is the one left standing with DOC on board.

Edit: must have been typing the same time as COD above

Comment

• Down Royal entries for Friday this week.

Showtime

"Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

• Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post
                              Down Royal entries for Friday this week.

Showtime

https://status.hri-ras.ie/entries/Mi...20201026011119
                              Gutted can't go! Some amount of talent out!

Comment

• Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post
                                Down Royal entries for Friday this week.

Showtime

https://status.hri-ras.ie/entries/Mi...20201026011119
                                Some exciting names entered, and I'm at a bloody kids Halloween party all Friday afternoon

Comment

Working...
                                X