Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Supreme/Ballymore/Albert Bartlett - Novice Hurdles 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lobos View Post
    Just seen that the maiden hurdle on the same card was run 2 1/2 seconds quicker with the winner carrying 7lbs more than N'Golo. Think that proves the race was run at a proper crawl.
    The race was slow, that’s indisputable. But don’t you think that just adds to the disappointment? This was a novice race, not a graded one, wouldn’t you expect a top horse with a confident pilot aboard to take advantage of the pace and merely apply more throttle? I suspect they’re still treating him in part with kid gloves... and therein lies one issue.

Let’s look at the facts. He’s injury prone. He’s appeared in two races in late August and mid September (traditionally weaker). He’s jumped poorly in both. He hasn’t appeared to travel in either race like a horse with a tonne in hand (halfway round yesterday he was encouraged along despite the slow pace) and he’s fragile to the point where a jockey may be reluctant to apply any real proper pressure.
    Perhaps a step up in trip might help with all the above? Who knows. After yesterday we can only guess.

I was as excited as anyone two years ago. Indeed I’d have hoped the Malone Road of then might have won yesterday’s race with me on board! I backed him for the 2019 festival, the 2020 festival and yes, I had a speculative punt on the 2021 festival too. (Sometimes the heart rules the head!). We can all dream, we all do dream. But there comes a moment when one needs to wake up when faced with stark reality. I was roused from my dream midway through the race yesterday, when I realised Malone Road was nothing like I remembered. Two promising runs in mere bumpers seem like a long long time ago.

Chin(s) up, let’s move on. Will be interesting if he pops up in a handicap, indeed I’d love for the above to be proved wrong. But I’m not going to waste another minute wondering if he’s the horse I thought/hoped he would be.
    Last edited by OscarWhisky; 24 September 2020, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OscarWhisky View Post
      The race was slow, that’s indisputable. But don’t you think that just adds to the disappointment? This was a novice race, not a graded one, wouldn’t you expect a top horse with a confident pilot aboard to take advantage of the pace and merely apply more throttle? I suspect they’re still treating him in part with kid gloves... and therein lies one issue.

Let’s look at the facts. He’s injury prone. He’s appeared in two races in late August and mid September (traditionally weaker). He’s jumped poorly in both. He hasn’t appeared to travel in either race like a horse with a tonne in hand (halfway round yesterday he was encouraged along despite the slow pace) and he’s fragile to the point where a jockey may be reluctant to apply any real proper pressure.
      Perhaps a step up in trip might help with all the above? Who knows. After yesterday we can only guess.

I was as excited as anyone two years ago. Indeed I’d have hoped the Malone Road of then might have won yesterday’s race with me on board! I backed him for the 2019 festival, the 2020 festival and yes, I had a speculative punt on the 2021 festival too. (Sometimes the heart rules the head!). We can all dream, we all do dream. But there comes a moment when one needs to wake up when faced with stark reality. I was roused from my dream midway through the race yesterday, when I realised Malone Road was nothing like I remembered. Two promising runs in mere bumpers seem like a long long time ago.

Chin(s) up, let’s move on. Will be interesting if he pops up in a handicap, indeed I’d love for the above to be proved wrong. But I’m not going to waste another minute wondering if he’s the horse I thought/hoped he would be.
      Good points. I'm more interested in N'Golo now!

Comment

• Top post Oscar, I agree and empathise with nearly all of your post.

Comment

• The strange PP/BFR move to put Ballyadam out to 33/1 in the Ballymore market, is now back in kilter with the rest of the market at 20/1.
          "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

• Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post
            The strange PP/BFR move to put Ballyadam out to 33/1 in the Ballymore market, is now back in kilter with the rest of the market at 20/1.
            Yeah, definitely made no sense, unless they were privvy to some information, but given he is back in to 20/1 I'd guess not.

Comment

• Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
              Yeah, definitely made no sense, unless they were privvy to some information, but given he is back in to 20/1 I'd guess not.
              Ive always preferred him for the Supreme, and as mentioned in earlier conversations on FJ, with a lot of key end-of-year Bumpers not taking place last year, I am not getting too involved in novice hurdles at this time as no-one knows enough about them, even the trainers maybe.

Comment

Ive always preferred him for the Supreme, and as mentioned in earlier conversations on FJ, with a lot of key end-of-year Bumpers not taking place last year, I am not getting too involved in novice hurdles at this time as no-one knows enough about them, even the trainers maybe.
                I've been more Ballymore for him, myself. Time will tell, either way

Comment

• Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                  I've been more Ballymore for him, myself. Time will tell, either way
                  probably neither

Comment

probably neither
                    There's a maiden hurdle at Naas around then.

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
                      There's a maiden hurdle at Naas around then.
                      There’s a couple of Maiden Hurdles at Naas’s opening jumps fixture, this year to be held on Saturday 21st November.

The 2M maiden Hurdle has been won the last two years by Joseph.

The 2M3F Maiden Hurdle usually goes to one of Willie’s, while Gordon has used it twice in the last three years to get an early run into his eventual Martin Pipe plot horse.

Comment

• Quick heads up, Stuart Jimbo Williams has just tipped FH for Supreme, and BO split stake Ballymore and Any Race. 365 have cut both already.

Comment

• ....Eric Bloodaxe beat Ferny Hollow in a bumper less than 12 months ago. FH was odds-on favourite that day and EB disappointed on its next run. EB is 50-1 for the Supreme, FH is 10-1 fav. EB is 50-1 for a number of Festival novice hurdles.

I suppose it’s whether FH ran its true race that day and whether EB was found out later.
                          Last edited by Eggs; 24 September 2020, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• FH pulled like a train, different horse when he settles, but lets be honest he needed to coz he was a headcase in his first few bumpers

Comment

• Originally posted by Eggs View Post
                              ....Eric Bloodaxe beat Ferny Hollow in a bumper less than 12 months ago. FH was odds-on favourite that day and EB disappointed on its next run. EB is 50-1 for the Supreme, FH is 10-1 fav. EB is 50-1 for a number of Festival novice hurdles.

I suppose it’s whether FH ran its true race that day and whether EB was found out later.
                              I like EB alot, have backed him TWAR. Was highly touted last year as a good one for the future

Comment

• Originally posted by Eggs View Post
                                ....Eric Bloodaxe beat Ferny Hollow in a bumper less than 12 months ago. FH was odds-on favourite that day and EB disappointed on its next run. EB is 50-1 for the Supreme, FH is 10-1 fav. EB is 50-1 for a number of Festival novice hurdles.

I like Eric Bloodaxe, but feel he could be one for further than the Supreme. Both Giggs and both with Joseph, I'm having trouble splitting him and Forged In Fire up, as feel either could go for the Ballymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X