Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Handicap Shortlist - Cheltenham 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
    Windsor Avenue .... based on the amount of love he's getting in the JLT thread.... still more likely to end up in a handicap
    Stop it!!!!! lol

Comment

Nubs Negra...if they can get his mark down a few lbs for the Close Brothers. Watch out for him being entered and flopping in a grade 1 open company race.

Comment

Many of the early Close Bros winners came through novice and ‘cap races en route to Cheltenham, there was a big trend against horses who had been tried in graded races.
        You can read this many ways, if trainers think they have one to win this then having them pottering around behind average horses at Bangor and Uttoxeter will ensure their mark stays where it’s needed whereas there’s always a chance that finishing within a dozen lengths of a previous graded winner who could be RSA/JLT fav will see your horse raised above the 145 ceiling.
        Such a dangerous race this, it’s barely ever been a handicap....

Comment

The following horses have been added to Will Hill’s TWAR market
          Off You Go -25/1
          Mister Blue Sky - 25/1
          Speak Easy - 25/1
          Galvin - 25/1
          Humble Hero - 25/1

All available with boosts to take up to 27.5/1

Comment

Originally posted by TCH29 View Post
            Nubs Negra...if they can get his mark down a few lbs for the Close Brothers. Watch out for him being entered and flopping in a grade 1 open company race.
            Skelton has stated many times he's an out and out 2 miler. I'm not sure the Close Brothers would be the race they'll go for if they go the handicap route; more likely the Grand Annual.

Comment

When are we expecting handicap markets to appear? It's normally around mid december isn't it or have I lost the plot with my timings?

Comment

Erick Le Rouge - Various Handicap Chases
                Won the Lanzarote Hurdle at Kempton last season off 134 and finished the season with a mark of 137. The form of that race is fairly decent with horses in behind performing well since. Importantly his best performances were on a sound surface. Was always a ‘chaser in the making’ and began his novice chase campaign with a comfortable victory, jumping very smartly in the main. He reappeared in a month later but didn’t jump as well and was well beaten.

He’s on a mark of 137 over fences which I’d be surprised if he wasn’t better than later in the season. Whilst his victory in the Lanzarote and current mark could open up the Close Brothers as a target, he could well need a little further by the time the festival arrives.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
                  When are we expecting handicap markets to appear? It's normally around mid december isn't it or have I lost the plot with my timings?
                  I was in Ladbrokes yesterday Charlie , and i'm sure they had most of the races up .
                  wasn't paying full attention though.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
                    Skelton has stated many times he's an out and out 2 miler. I'm not sure the Close Brothers would be the race they'll go for if they go the handicap route; more likely the Grand Annual.
                    Like the late North Hill Harvey for the same stable.
                    "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Thought that was quite an eye catching run from Glenloe. Jumped well in the main, was never put in the race. Jockey very careful not to have him too close to the action in the last half mile!

Comment

You beat me to it CCM. Glenloe is surely near the top of the pile for a handicap at the festival. I think he’s one of Elliott’s go-to horses for handicaps. Nicely rated that he could make the 145 mark required for the Novice Handicap Chase or the Kim Muir.

Comment

Novices Chase looks the one to me CNC!

Comment

Although I was on Glenloe when second in the Pertemps, I think that was his chance to win a festival handicap. He’s not looked great over fences and for me he’d need more in hand over larger obstacles than hurdles.

Is he going to get down to around 137 over fences?
                            Will that get him a run in the handicaps as it could be too low?

He’ll also be over bet wherever he turns up.

Comment

Glenloe was rated 144 by he UK handicapper at plumpton over fences. He only needs to be under 145 so his rating should be spot on for the two handicaps mentioned.

Comment

He is going to be teed up for a handicap with the Kim Muir the obvious one. GE will run him out the back of some decent races this winter imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X