Roberto Goldback: Chaser trained by Nicky Henderson

Roberto Goldback, now trained by Nicky Henderson, ran out an impressive winner of the United House Gold Cup Handicap Chase at Ascot.
    Previously trained by Dessie Hughes and Jessica Harrington in Ireland, Roberto Goldback was making his debut for the Seven Barrows team in this Grade Three event.
    It proved a dramatic renewal of the three-mile contest with a heavy fall for Charlie Poste from Le Beau Bai early on, while Sam Waley-Cohen also took a nasty-looking tumble from Frisco Depot as the race really started to hot up.
    Geraghty looked to be in the driving seat from some way out aboard 9-1 shot Roberto Goldback though, and a sound leap at the last sealed a nine-length victory.
    Duke Of Lucca kept on for second with Alfie Spinner a further four and a half lengths back in fourth.
    Henderson said: "We thought that he would run well but it was his first start for me and I didn't know enough about him.
    "Ascot (for this race) was the reason we brought him over.
    "We only started the horses really in the last couple of weeks and a day like this makes us feel a lot better."

Barry Geraghty 05.11.12

ROBERTO GOLDBACK couldn’t have done much more than win as he did on his first run for Nicky in the three-mile handicap chase.

The ground was as quick as he’d want it but it suited him much better than some of the ground he’d been racing on previously in Ireland. The bigger the track and the fences the better for him, Newbury would be fine. He was bought as a National horse and that looks a reasonable thought at the moment.

Mordin View

ROBERTO GOLDBACK PROBABLY BEST OFF BREAK

ROBERTO GOLDBACK (41) kept going remarkably strongly to win the G3 United House Gold Cup at Ascot by nine lengths. The race was notable for the way a searching gallop was maintained throughout. The field completed the last two miles of the three mile race 0.3 of a second faster than they did in the Listed chase over seven furlongs shorter.

The stamina Roberto Goldback showed to be running strongly at the end of such a tremendous gallop suggests his owner's ambitions of winning the Grand National are not entirely misplaced.

Previously I had thought that Roberto Gold Back was best in small fields over fences. But his win in this fourteen runner race does rather blow that theory out of the water. Though I should add he was kept clear of the other runners by his jockey. And perhaps the easier jumps found at most British tracks, including Ascot, make it possible to win in bigger fields than back in Ireland.

Most likely though I need to come up with a new theory to explain Roberto Goldback's form. The best I can come up with at this stage is to say that his four chase wins have all come off breaks of at least five weeks since his last completed start. I'm not sure we'll see this theory tested much any time soon as I imagine Roberto Goldback will be lightly raced in the run up to the National.

Andy Gibson

ROBERTO GOLDBACK
    He made a successful debut for the Nicky Henderson yard when running away with a competitive Ascot handicap in early November. On that day he raced wide and came through to win comfortably by nine lengths from Duke of Lucca who may take him on again on Saturday. He was raised to a mark of 162 which looked like it would make life very difficult for him.

He raced off precisely that mark when unseating his rider in the Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury in early December. He was travelling as well as any when getting rid of Jeremiah McGrath at the fourteenth fence. He returned to Ascot for his next race which was run on unsuitably desperate going. Despite hating the ground he was making good progress and had closed to within eight lengths of the leader when leaving his hind legs in the second last fence. I don’t think he would have beaten the winner Wyck Hill on the day but he would certainly have finished much closer without that mistake. The fact that he was the last of the finishers meant that Barry Geraghty was able to ease him considerably immediately after the second last.

Roberto Goldback is now a stone better off and if we take the 39 lengths between them at the line at Ascot literally he could not be fancied to reverse that form. Nevertheless, without that late error he would have finished 10 or 12 lengths behind at most in my opinion and the likely better ground at Kempton will be far more in his favour than Wyck Hill’s. Furthermore, he has been dropped very quickly to a mark of 154 which is only four pounds higher than his winning Ascot rating which was the last time he completed a race on anything other than awful ground. He is one of two overpriced horses in the betting for the Racing Plus Chase at this early stage of the week and can be supported at 14/1 which is a price generally available.

Roberto Goldback (N Henderson): The sole Seven Barrows representative after Shakalakaboomboom was ruled out of the race due to a setback. Impressed on his debut for these connections when comfortably winning a decent Ascot handicap off 150 and providing he's not overburdened there's hope he could be a factor here. Negatives are that he's 11, has run poorly since the aforementioned win and has stamina to prove, but victory for him wouldn't be a total shock.

Nicky

“Has always had the National as his main objective and he has been trained for the race. I thought he ran very well to finish fifth in the Racing Plus Chase at Kempton last time. It was decent ground that day and he showed there how much he appreciates it. I’ve been very pleased with his progress since.”