Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

My tent or yours : Horse trained by Nicky Henderson

Bought by JP McManus ....

Sex: Gelding
    Owner: Mr John P McManus
    Trainer: N J Henderson
    Breeding: Sire - Dam (Dam's Sire)
    Desert Prince IRE - Spartan Girl IRE (Ela-mana-mou - UK)
    Last edited by mayo; 4th November 2012 at 07:59 PM.

Barry Geraghty Blog www.attheraces.com/barry

My Tent Or Yours is now owned by J P McManus so AP’s aboard in the two-mile novice hurdle and I’ve absolutely no doubt that this is a young horse going places this season.

But I’ve picked up a very nice spare ride in TAQUIN DE SEUIL (2.00) for Jonjo who AP won on last time at Uttoxeter.

He won by a very easy 15 lengths and if My Tent Or Yours wasn’t about then I’d really be fancying my chances. My Tent Or Yours schooled brilliantly for me but he’s got those green and gold colours so AP’s on him at Ascot this afternoon and I’d say he will take a lot of beating.

Catching Pigeons

My Tent Or Yours has been known to take a bit of a grip, but if his rider can get him settled he is a strong fancy to score first time over hurdles at Ascot. He was among the very best of the stable's bumper team last season and his schooling is said to have gone particularly well.
    Wonder will AP be riding tomorrow.

Supreme winner if he settles ?

Henderson after the race:

"He travelled a bit too well, but has got a huge amount of talent and has got to learn how to use it.

"We'll keep it low-key for experience until Christmas."

Sky Bet were sufficiently impressed by the winner to introduce him into the market for the William Hill Supreme Novices' Hurdle at 20-1.

Barry G 05.11.12

TAQUIN DU SUIL was probably taking on an impossible task against My Tent Or Yours in the two-mile novice hurdle. Unfortunately for me the winner moved teams in the transfer window and is now in JP’s colours so AP does the steering now but he’s a fine horse for Seven Barrows to have.

JohnC
    MY TENT OR YOURS AND TAQUIN DU SEUIL TOP CLASS NOVICES

Mordin likes him

It's hard to know just how good very lightly raced horses are. So once or twice a season the connections of two such horses fail to avoid each other. The result is that we see two genuinely top class horses contest a minor race.

My ratings say this happened in a class 3 novice hurdle at Ascot last Saturday where two horses duelled from a long way to pull clear of the field.

The winner was MY TENT OR YOURS (39) who was always cruising while racing a little keenly in the rear. He began to make ground in impressive fashion after four out and looked set to coast by runner up Taquin Du Seuil as he moved up to him approaching the last. But the Taquin Du Seuil is clearly a smart horse in his own right and rallied as the winner headed him.

A measure of just how much the first two accelerated to take each other on can be gleaned from sectional times. These show that the field got from the first jump to four out 5.1 seconds later than they did in the big handicap hurdle earlier on the same card over the same trip. From there they covered the remaining six furlongs 3.2 seconds faster. When I adjust my ratings to reflect this it points to a Grade 1 class performance by the first two across the line.

My Tent Or Yours is a barrel-chested sort that has the build of a two and a half mile steeplechaser. He's a good actioned horse and has been steered away from soft ground except for his debut where he hosed up on good to soft in a Bumper. My bet is that long term he will prove best over two and a half miles and may dislike soft and heavy going. But I'd be more sure of the former idea than the latter.

The acceleration that My Tent Or Yours showed to gain ground quickly and easy just as the pace was quickening suggests to me that he'd be an interesting candidate for a valuable long distance flat race next Summer. Trainer Nicky Henderson has a remarkable record with jumpers he targets such races with.

At some point the connections of My Tent Or Yours are going to have to decide whether to keep him over two miles as a novice hurdler or step him up to two and a half miles. He has such pace it will be very tempting to persevere over two miles. But I have a maxim that a horse will perform best at the outermost limits of its stamina. At shorter trips it can get outpaced. Over longer it's in danger of not lasting home in a truly run race. For this reason I think My Tent Or Yours should try and emulate his stablemate Simonsig who won the big two and a half mile hurdles at the Cheltenham and Aintree Festivals last year. Next season, when he will surely be switched to chasing, his obvious target would be the Jewson.

Yeehaa
    Back on track today after Newbury disappointment

Henderson told Racing UK: "He's probably a bit better than those. He's still quite keen. He might just be a better horse in a truly-run race, they didn't go very quick early on. He was still tanking along late in the race and he should've settled before that."

Talking of the Betfair Hurdle Henderson continued: "Obviously this weekend's the last weekend for handicapping purposes. It's an option. We did the same with Darlan last year.

"This fellow has got natural raw talent, he just needs to use it in a slightly more professional way. He's doing everything right I just wish he could curtail some of his enthusiasm."

Graham Cunningham impressed

SUPREME NOVICES' HURDLE

My Tent supporters could be happy campers at Newbury and Cheltenham

Last week was informative as regards the Festival opener, with ante-post favourite Jezki being bought by JP McManus and Cause Of Causes and My Tent Or Yours both continuing their progress by winning at Navan and Huntingdon respectively.

Jezki's transfer deal clearly won't impact on his Cheltenham chance, but it will impact on his route there as it now seems he will go straight to the Fez without a run in Leopardstown's Deloitte Hurdle.

By contrast, Cause Of Causes and My Tent Or Yours are both inked in for Newbury's Betfair Hurdle on February 9 next.

Cause Of Causes is already a proven force in big handicaps and showed bags of spirit to thwart the tenderly-ridden Midnight Game at Navan on Sunday, but I'm not keen on him for Newbury or Cheltenham at this stage for the simple reason that I don't think he will be quite quick enough.

By contrast, My Tent Or Yours has speed aplenty and he thrashed some above-average novices at Huntingdon to look value for at least double the official margin of seven lengths.

McManus and Henderson would have almost certainly won last year's Betfair Hurdle but for Darlan's heavy fall two out and My Tent Or Yours heads to Newbury with very strong claims, especially if left on his current mark of 140 with the likes of stablemate Petit Robin and JPs 2012 runner-up Get Me Out Of Here likely to keep his weight down.

However, MTOY has been backed down to 9/2 for a Newbury race which is rammed with potential dangers.

He's trading at 14/1 in a place for the Supreme and that looks too big.

Jezki's two Grade One wins make him a major danger, but I'm not that keen on another leading fancy Dodging Bullets and River Maigue's form thus far doesn't read so well as MTOY's.

Add in the fact that the well fancied Puffin Billy may be Neptune-bound and it's likely there is some value to be found at double figures in the Supreme market.

My Tent Or Yours looks made for a fast-run two miles on spring ground and a bold run at Newbury will see his Cheltenham odds shrink appreciably.

johnno
    Graham Richards

Started his hurdle career with a smooth success over Taquin Du Seuil at Ascot. That chap has gone on to record a slightly higher rating raised in distance to two and a half-miles. Bogged down in the Newbury mud behind stablechum Chatterbox, he bounced back to form with a facile success at Huntingdon. Acts on good to soft through to heavy and looks a two-miler, pure and simple. Favourite for the Betfair Hurdle, it would be wise to hear connections plans for both that race and the Supreme Novices. Yet to race at Cheltenham.