Midnight Chase: Chaser trained by N P Mullholland

Midnight Chase

Notable Wins/Places

1st: 2012 Cotswold Chase (G2,5yo+,Cheltenham)
    1st: 2010 Morson Group Handicap Chase (G3,4yo+,Cheltenham)
    3rd: 2011 Rowland Meyrick Handicap Chase (G3,4yo+,Wetherby)

Dosage

DP = 3-1-7-4-1 (16) DI = 0.88 CD = 0.06 -

Breeding etc
    Sex: Bay Gelding
    Breeding: Midnight Legend - Yamrah (Milford)
    Trainer: N P Mulholland
    Owner: Lady Clarke

Quotes

Trainer October 2012

"Midnight Chase is hopefully going to run in the Charlie Hall Chase. I am delighted with him. He is in great form and looks as good as ever," said Mullholland.

"We targeted the Argento Chase last season and we won it so that was great and he was also third in the Rowland Meyrick at Wetherby which was a creditable performance.

"He seems as good as he was before he won the Argento and he worked well at the weekend.

"The Argento is the big aim for him again this season but he will be fit and ready for the Charlie Hall Chase because he is a lot further forward this year than he was last year.

"If he gets the right ground, he will run a big race.

"I would have to speak to Lady Clarke (owner) about the plan in between the Charlie Hall Chase and the Argento Chase, but the Lexus Chase at Leopardstown over Christmas could be a strong possibility.

"I'm not going to campaign him that hard because the Argento took its toll on us in the Gold Cup last year, so this year I'd rather go Charlie Hall, Argento and then try to get to Cheltenham, but we could also go to the Charlie Hall, Leopardstown, Argento and then miss Cheltenham and Aintree.

"You might only see him three or four times this season but he will be ready to rock and roll when he runs."
    Last edited by mayo; 11-04-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Midnight Chase is likely to return to Cheltenham for his next race in the Grade Three Majordomo Hospitality Handicap Chase on December 14. Midnight Chase finished third in the Charlie Hall at Wetherby on his last run.

Neil Mulholland 9.11.12

"
    He's come out of the race fine,We've given him an entry in the Betfair but he might go to Cheltenham in December.He struggled in the ground at Wetherby. He looked the first beat yet he stuck on for third and was catching them at the end. It was a good start to the season, he hadn't run since March so he was a bit rusty. We know he goes well at Cheltenham because his jumping puts the others under pressure so we'll probably head there in December."

The ground has been a nightmare - not just for him, but for a lot of the horses," said Mulholland.

"He means an awful lot to me and we just hope that the ground does dry out over the next few months. He feels very well and is as good as ever - he just needs the ground.

"He'll more than likely go for the JLT Specialty Chase on the Tuesday at Cheltenham and then he'll head for the National.

"He loves Cheltenham and he's back down to a decent mark.

"Last year he won the Argento but the Gold Cup finished him for the season and didn't have the spark about him, but this year he's had a lighter campaign as we've had the Grand National in mind.

"Obviously he's not getting any younger, but his handicap mark is good enough to enable him to run well over his next couple of runs," the Wiltshire handler told At The Races.

"He's all ready to go. He's coming back in grade and although I'm not a betting man, I think he's a massive price at around 20/1.

"When you look at it, he's a bigger price for Tuesday's race than he was for the Gold Cup last year, and I don't think he's any worse a horse than he was then.

"He sees in good form at home and the way he feels at the moment there is no reason for me to think he's not as good as he's ever been.

"He hasn't had his ground so far this season, but he ran well enough in the Charlie Hall at Wetherby to finish third, giving weight to Silviniaco Conti.

"The ground should be fine for him next week, we know he loves Cheltenham and I'm very hopeful he'll run a big race on Tuesday."