Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Flemenstar horse trained by Tony martin ex Peter Casey

Flemenstar (IRE)
    Sex: Bay Gelding
    Breeding: Flemensfirth - Different Dee (Beau Sher)
    Trainer: P Casey
    Owner: Stephen Curran

Peter Casey said 22.10.12
    "
    He came back to us a while ago and he looks super. He has strengthened up a lot and the plan is to start him off at Navan. He'll head to the Curragh (on Tuesday) for a bit of work up the Old Vic (Gallop) and that should leave him right for Navan."

The trainer added: "We'll try and get a racecourse school into him somewhere beforehand. After that, I'd say that he'll go for something like the (John) Durkan Chase at Punchestown."
    Last edited by Old Vic; 11-11-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Wonder is King George off the agenda now ? Knew I had read something about going to England. Rte late August 2012:

Flemenstar will return to training next week

Exciting chaser Flemenstar is set to return to training next week as trainer Peter Casey plots a route towards the Cheltenham Gold Cup.

The seven-year-old enjoyed a fantastic novice campaign over fences, building on a promising debut second to Bog Warrior at Navan with five consecutive victories, including two at Grade One level.

He rounded off his campaign in style in the Powers Gold Cup at Fairyhouse and although plans for the autumn are fluid, Casey is eyeing the blue riband event at Prestbury Park as his major target.

"He's going to come back into training next week, but the owner has been doing a bit of work with him at home and tells me he's in great form," said Casey.

"We don't know where we're going to start him off yet. There is a Flat race in Navan and a chase in Navan, there are races at Punchestown and in the north (Down Royal) as well, so we have options for him.

"After that we'll probably take him to England for something, bring home again and then go back for the big one.

"We hope he's a Gold Cup horse, but we'll see how we get on with him."

Although Flemenstar was the subject of plenty of interest last season, Casey is confident his stable star will not be sold.

"I don't think the owner would sell him now. He had offers last season and didn't take them, so hopefully he'll be staying with us," said Casey.

Flemenstar could make his seasonal debut in the Fortria Chase at Navan this weekend.
    Peter Casey's charge was a revelation last season, meeting defeat only once over fences on his debut behind subsequent Grade One winner Bog Warrior.

He was an impressive 19-length winner of the Irish Arkle and having skipped Cheltenham, he won the Powers Gold Cup by 11 lengths.

Sizing Europe is also among the 10 entries but Henry de Bromhead is leaning towards the Clonmel Oil Chase on Thursday week.

Big Zeb has won the race for the last three years and is likely to go for the four-timer while Realt Dubh, who was in the process of running a big race in the Champion Chase at Down Royal last week before a mistake two out, is also an entry.

Blazing Tempo, Foildubh, Forpadydeplasterer, Keelaghan, Kylebeg Krystle and Mr Cracker make up the list.

The fact the field might cut up is appealing to Casey, who is unsure if his class act is quite 100% fit.

"It maybe might be a little too early for him," he said .

"He was taken to the Curragh this morning and popped over a few fences by Andrew Lynch and I'm waiting for him to tell me what he thinks as I didn't go.

"I wouldn't have thought Sizing Europe would run, he'll go to Clonmel I think, so Andrew won't have to make a choice. Realt Dubh only ran the other day, too.

"I could be a small field and the owner lives near Navan so there's a chance he could run."

Priceless .....

Colourful Dublin trainer hungry to see Flemenstar on ultimate Festival stage

WHEN someone starts a chat with "What the f**k do you want now, ya hoor ya?" you'd think you were on a hiding to nothing.

"YIZ f**ckers, ye'll be all writing about him in the Herald and everythin' now."

But when it comes to Dublin's most colourful horse trainer, Peter Casey, you couldn't have been granted a more affectionate welcome.

Of course, on the eve of the weekend that one of Ireland's leading Gold Cup contenders is set to make his seasonal debut in Navan, Casey knew well what I wanted, and he was quite happy to sit back and relax for a few minutes to talk about Flemenstar.

It was only a few minutes, though, as Casey, who had "a heap of work to do", doesn't relax for too long.

There are those around him that would prefer to see him taking it a lot easier than he actually does, but that's not him.

He has devilment to stir, but more importantly an operation to oversee and the main project of that operation happens to be one of the best National Hunt chasers on the land.

Come March, a lot of people will be hoping he's the best chaser of them all as the Cheltenham Gold Cup remains the out-and-out target.

Sunday's Fortria Chase at Navan will be run over two miles and is again set to be the starting point for former Champion Chase winner Big Zeb, who will be looking to win the race for a fourth time.

For the second season in a row, the County Meath track will also be the starting point for Flemenstar, of whom Casey said: "He's grand now, I'm delighted with him. I hope he runs well. He's after doing a few bits of work now and everything's gone grand. But Sunday is not the only day, d'ya know what I mean? He's only starting off."

It will be the John Durkan at Punchestown when the real Flemenstar will return, fully wound up and ready to take all before him and then future plans will be discussed between owner Stephen Curran and Casey, along with his son, Frances, who assists in the training. "He was on the Curragh this week and he jumped a few fences and he's grand," says Casey. "He'll run on Sunday, but he'll come on for it. We'll have to see how it goes."

Last season, on his debut over fences, Flemenstar had to settle for second behind Bog Warrior, form he later reversed before the season was out.

"Last year he was starting off against novices. It was different than what he's starting off against this Sunday, but there will be only five or six in it, I'd say. He was beat in Navan last year but he improved from it."

Of course, Casey made all the headlines himself last year after Flemenstar won the Grade One Frank Ward Solicitors Arkle at Leopardstown and in an interview with Tracey Piggott, live on RTE, he revealed how he'd be celebrating: "I'm going to have sex tonight and everything."

The publicity that followed was "f**kin' brilliant", although it has meant that his loyal wife Junie "is afraid of her life to go to the races now!"

Of the new found fame, he added; "Ah sure, wasn't it f**kin' great? I got to meet all them models and get me picture taken and everything.

"I was delighted with it. Tracey Piggot was brilliant but she is afraid of her life of me now ever since as well!

"But sure no matter what people I talk to now, they said I lifted the country for a fortnight."

Mad

When I asked, "How are you keeping yourself?" the reply from Casey was: "I'm grand, only for the f**ckers around me. Do you hear them here telling me what to do, they're driving me mad!"

Those around him are sons Frances, Peter and Oliver, plus daughter Alison, who all pitch in to keep the show on the road, but their father admitted: "I didn't want them to have anything to do with horses at all. It's terrible hard to make money."

For all his 'giving out' about those around him, though, the proud father did admit that they are "rare ones" -- although I don't think he wanted that printed. Sorry, Peter.

For most trainers, Cheltenham is the dream, and with Flemenstar it is close to reality. Regarding that prospect, the Stamullen trainer said: "I'd say I'd get an extra five or ten years out of life. It would be great, it would be f**ckin' great. I dunno, ta f**k, though. Ya know, these things. They say it will never happen? I hope it does."

If you haven't realised already, Peter Casey isn't shy in telling someone his opinion and last year he cornered members of the racing press who didn't put their faith in his stable star.

"They kept writing him off and he wouldn't handle this ground and he wouldn't handle that and he wouldn't do this and he wouldn't stay... And it's going to be the same this year, I suppose. Small f**ckin' trainer sure that's it isn't it? I see he has a half-brother in England that stays three miles, though.

"With Flemenstar's breeding, he should stay and he's a lovely big horse, I always liked him from the day he came here first. Jesus, I loved him."

It's four or five years since Casey himself has made the journey to the Cotswolds, having attended for 30 years, but just the mere mention of the month of March and he sparks to life: "Ah Jaysus, wouldn't it be great (to win at Cheltenham), wouldn't it be f**ckin' brilliant. I'd have him everywhere after it. There'll be a bus leaving here for Cheltenham, they'll all want to go even those hoors from Meath."

Keeping his age to himself, he did admit that Lester Piggott, who celebrated his 77th birthday this week, "is nearly the same as myself", and added: "Lester, Mick O'Dwyer and myself - three rare ones, wha'?"

Although holding an address in Stamullen, may God help the man who accuses Casey of being from County Meath.

He is Dublin, through and through, and proud of it. His love for Dublin GAA is well known and on that subject he said: "They've got rid of a good few of them older lads, but they've brought in about six young lads - minors and that - and I'm telling you now they're right ones."

Historic

Looking ahead to 2013, he is hopeful of the Dubs completing a historic double and bringing both the Liam MacCarthy and Sam Maguire back to the capital, and is extremely confident for the hurlers.

"This (2013) is the year for the hurlers, I'm tellin' ya's. They made a b****cks of it this year and next year will be different. I'm telling ya one thing, they have some players up there in the football and the hurling. They'll go close."

But when asked the vital question of what will go closer -- the Dublin hurlers or Flemenstar in the Gold Cup, there was only one answer: "Oh bejaysus Flemenstar. If we get that hoor to the Gold Cup wouldn't it be great?"

Too often it is said that "it couldn't happen to a nicer man", but should Flemenstar win the Gold Cup that saying would never be more fitting.

After winning grade 2 fortria today

"When he is fit he’ll be a good one! He will go for the John Durkan now at Punchestown."He has got stronger since last year but he was only 80% fit today. He got beat here the last two years but I slept well last night, I wasn’t worried about him."Andrew knows him well. There is no use in telling him what to do. "After he goes over two and a half in the Durkan we will think about running him over three miles. He should get three miles on breeding."
    Paddy Powers, and Boylesports have all cut Flemenstar from 10/1 to 8/1 for the Gold Cup at Cheltenham in March while Stan James have pushed him out to 10/1 from 8/1. They have however made him the 5/1 favourite (from 7/1) for the Ryanair Chase at the Festival.

Blake’s Blog:*Could Flemenstar Be This Decade’s Danoli?

Could Flemenstar be this decade’s Danoli? Trained by Peter Casey, a man that has few peers in the character stakes, and equipped with prodigious talent, the recipe is certainly right for what could be a potential mainstream star and all indications are that the seven-year-old is destined for the top.

Flemenstar had looked the part throughout his near faultless novice chase campaign last season, but his reappearance in last Sunday’s Fortria Chase was an altogether tougher test, with him facing a six-time Grade 1-winner Big Zeb. Despite not being considered anything approaching fully fit, Flemenstar still recorded an impressive seven lengths success, travelling and jumping with his now trademark electric enthusiasm.

The 11-year-old Big Zeb may not be quite the force he was, but he has an excellent record when fresh and even if he didn’t quite match his best form from last season, the presence of the consistent Foildubh in receipt of plenty of weight back in third gives a solid look to the form.

With his connections having started talking about a potential Cheltenham Gold Cup bid as early as last Christmas, the big question on most people’s lips is how far will Flemenstar stay? The facts that he has won a point-to-point, looked just as impressive over two-and-a-half miles as at two miles and is a full-brother to a horse that stays three miles one furlong over hurdles all point to him staying at least three miles.

The main concern for his stamina is that he has quite an exuberant way of going which, coupled with his slick jumping, has meant that he seems best suited to trapping along at a pace that is higher than many two milers have been comfortable with. If he is to stretch his full ability over longer trips, it would help his cause if he was to settle down ever so slightly. Even if he does, the extended three miles two furlongs of the Cheltenham Gold Cup will be a question mark, for all that the likes of Kicking King have shown that such exuberance over shorter trips isn’t a barrier to Gold Cup success.

However, even if Flemenstar doesn’t prove as effective over staying trips, he will remain the most promising two-mile chaser in Ireland. His cruising speed and quick jumping are more than sufficient to make him a very serious challenger to the likes of Sprinter Sacre and if the step up in trip doesn’t go to plan, it wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility that he could “do a Sizing Europe” and revert to the minimum trip to win the Queen Mother Champion Chase in March.

Whether he ends up running in the Gold Cup or Champion Chase, one can only hope that Flemenstar goes right to the top, as it is oh-so-rare for such a talented horse to be in the hands of such a unique and likeable character. With National Hunt racing being increasingly dominated by a select few top trainers, one can’t help but feel that a top horse trained by a “small man” is just the story that the sport needs to emotionally engage both the racing public and the mainstream.

ATR Profile ...hadn't know travel was a concern.

He is unbeaten in his latest five chases after finishing a well-beaten runner-up to the potentially high-class Bog Warrior on his chasing debut at Navan in the middle of November 2011. He saved arguably his most impressive looking performance to last when he ran right away from Rathlin, False Economy and Call The Police in the home straight to take the Grade 1 Powers Gold Cup by 11 lengths. The horses that followed him home are all rated in the mid to late 140s; therefore, one could say that Flemenstar should have beaten them easily if his connections have any aspirations of beating the best around this coming season.

Likewise, it is easy to pick holes in the form of his previous Grade 1 success in the Arkle Novice Chase at Leopardstown at the end of January 2012. The 5/2 shot, Blackstairmountain, was held up out the back and simply never got competitive. The second horse home, Gift Of Dgab, albeit beaten 19 lengths, is rated 138 over fences whilst the third home Notus De La Tour was rated 142 at the time and will be racing off 144 in future; furthermore, this David Pipe trained chaser is rated well below the standard set by the best novice chasers seen in Britain last season.

It is obviously not the fault of Flemenstar that his rivals in the two top-class races he has run in have been unable to get anywhere near him; nevertheless, this still means that it is the style of those victories as much as, if not more than any substance to the form, which leaves him as one of the most exciting chasers in Ireland to look forward to in 2012/2013.

When a horse has won three of his six chases by double-figure margins it is important to take an extra look at his other races where, perhaps, he has been slightly less pleasing to the eye in the hope that they may offer some clues as to when and where he could be vulnerable in future. It is interesting to note that his three least impressive performances have come after breaks of 201, 42 and 42 days respectively; whereas, those wide margin wins came on the back of much shorter rest periods (14, 21 and 28 days). I think, at this stage, this is just something to bear in mind rather than get too carried away with; particularly because those ‘less pleasing’ performances resulted in two ultimately convincing victories plus the first time out defeat against a horse that could yet still turn out to be top-class.

Bog Warrior beat him easily first time out last season before Flemenstar turned the form around in comprehensive fashion at Naas in March. This may have something to do with the different distances of those chases suiting one horse more than the other; conversely, it could equally be that Flemenstar needed his first run more than Bog Warrior. At this point in time, an open mind is probably the best stance to take until we gather further evidence. Nonetheless, it would be particularly helpful and interesting should the two take each other on again first time out in 2012.

Flemenstar is proven up to a distance of two and a half miles and is clearly an excellent chasing prospect. He may well take the ‘Big Zeb’ route and mop up small field weakly-contested graded chases in Ireland on testing ground. He will be hard to beat before the New Year in races like the Fortria Chase at Navan in November plus the John Durkan and/or Dial-A-Bet Chases in December at Punchestown and Leopardstown respectively. The Tied Cottage Chase back at Punchestown in late January will be another obvious target before his connections have to decide on his spring campaign. Last season they kept him in Ireland, partly, due to fears regarding his ability to travel and, although he is a year older and more experienced, this remains significant information when assessing his true place in the markets for the 2013 Cheltenham Festival. I would certainly avoid him as an ante post proposition for whichever race he is quoted for in England until he proves that he can travel across the water and still perform to his best.

Making his first start since winning the Powers Gold Cup at Fairyhouse at the end of a brilliant novice campaign, the seven-year-old turned in an exhibition round of jumping to deny top two-miler Big Zeb a fourth successive win in the Fortria Chase.

Flemenstar has yet to be tested beyond two and a half miles and given his raw speed, it is hardly surprising some believe he could make his presence felt in either the Queen Mother Champion Chase or the Ryanair Chase at the Festival.

Casey, however, only has eyes for the extended three-and-a-quarter-mile blue riband.

Casey said: "Everything is grand this morning and we’re very happy with him.

"He couldn’t have done any more than he did yesterday. I see some people are still doubting him and whether he’ll get three miles, but I don’t think he’ll have any trouble with the trip.

"He’s a lovely, big horse and he idles a bit in front."

Casey confirmed would step back up to two and a half miles for the John Durkan Memorial Punchestown Chase on December 9 before testing the water over three miles in Leopardstown’s Lexus Chase over Christmas.

"Anything can happen, obviously, but the plan is to go to Punchestown next and then on to Leopardstown for the Lexus," said the trainer.

"People are talking about the Champion Chase and the Ryanair and I suppose we could look that way if for some reason he doesn’t get three miles at Christmas, but that is not the plan at the moment.

"I’m confident he’ll get the trip."

Andrew Lynch has been ever-present in the saddle during Flemenstar’s career over fences and he too is hopeful the hugely-promising gelding will stay at least three miles.

Lynch said: "He was very good for his first run. We knew going into the race that whatever he did he would improve, so hopefully that is the case.

"He jumped well and travelled well and did it easily. He showed last year he could do it over two and two and a half miles and we’ll see how he gets on over further.

"You’d like to think he’ll get three miles. He certainly gives you that impression when you ride him and he has won a point-to-point.

"Whether he’d get three and a quarter miles up that Cheltenham hill is a different matter. Only time will tell."

was in Donn's TTF in Sunday Times

Flemenstar
    Trainer: Peter Casey

Flemenstar makes his seasonal debut in the Fortria Chase at Navan today, embarking on a road that could lead all the way to the Cheltenham Gold Cup next March.

Peter Casey’s gelding stamped himself as one of the most progressive young chasers in training last season, winning his last five races, including the Arkle Chase at Leopardstown and the Powers Gold Cup at Fairyhouse. He proved in the latter contest that he stayed at least two and a half miles and that he could handle good ground and, a point-to-point winner, if he can stay three miles under Rules, he could be a massive player this term.
    Last edited by mayo; 11-14-2012 at 11:33 AM.

More from Donn on Star bets site

Flemenstar, Cheltenham Gold Cup. Discuss.

Well, it was difficult to fault his performance in the Fortria Chase at Navan yesterday, that’s for sure. He popped out in front, he jumped well down the back straight, then turned around and jumped well up the home straight and came home seven lengths clear of Big Zeb.

Visually, it was a seriously impressive performance. He travelled like a top class horse, and it never looked like he was going to lose, not even when Big Zeb and Foildubh closed up on the run to the third last. His fluent and accurate and ground-gaining jumping is always going to be a huge asset to him, over any distance, on any ground. And this was his seasonal debut. He had never won before on his debut, his record before yesterday reading U (point-to-point), 4 (bumper), 2 (novices’ chase). He was getting progressively closer on each seasonal bow, but yesterday was his first cigar.

Big Zeb is not the Champion Chaser of old, but he is still a high-class performer. He had won the previous three renewals of the Fortria, and he probably wasn’t that far off peak fitness yesterday in his bid for a fourth as an 11-year-old. And Flemenstar beat him well, with the talented Foildubh back in third.

Flemenstar’s trainer Peter Casey said after the race that his horse was about 80 per cent fit. He said so with a laugh, but you can be sure that, at best, all the screws were not tightened. Unusually, the trainer didn’t discuss his plans for yesterday evening after the race, but he did say that the John Durkan Chase had always been the plan for Flemenstar, and that it was still the plan. After that, he said he’d see. About the Cheltenham Gold Cup, you assume.

In that context, there are still questions to be answered for sure. Yesterday’s race was run over two miles on soft ground. The Gold Cup is run over an extended three and a quarter miles usually on good ground. The unknowns (known unknowns though they are) remain. The Flemensfirth gelding has won a point-to-point, but he has never been beyond two and a half miles on the track.

He was impressive in landing the Powers Gold Cup at Fairyhouse last April on good ground, but he probably wouldn’t want it much quicker than that. All of his good runs through last season, his four other wins, were on soft ground.

As well as that, yesterday’s race probably didn’t take as much winning as it might have. Main market rival Realt Dubh made a bad mistake at the fifth fence, and was struggling thereafter. Also, going into yesterday’s race, Flemenstar was officially rated 4lb superior to Big Zeb, yet the conditions of the race dictated that Colm Murphy’s gelding should concede 3lb. So Flemenstar had 7lb in hand officially, and he won by seven lengths. You can easily argue that he didn’t achieve any more than he was entitled to achieve on the book.

That said, it is difficult to escape the feeling that Flemenstar could be a special steeplechaser. He progressed throughout last season, his first as a chaser, from a narrow defeat to Bog Warrior through five victories, including two in Grade 1 company, all of them impressive, all of them with the promise of more to come.

As far as the Gold Cup goes, his Powers Gold Cup win told us that he didn’t need soft ground, that he could operate on good ground, which should work in the context of the Gold Cup. Also, there is a big chance that he will stay the Gold Cup trip. He stays two and a half miles well, his trainer thinks that he will stay three miles no problem, and he is a full-brother to Barafundle, a three-mile hurdler, from the family of Carvill’s Hill, a Welsh National winner.

He’s a Gold Cup prospect all right.