Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Martin Pipe 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeanRock View Post
    Looking at the jockey bookings he's 3rd choice Folski. He's a horse i couldn't wait to see jumping hurdles but he's been a big disappointment based on his bumper form. He looks a lazy type to me that does as little as possible and not in a good way.
    Took 33/1 for Martin Pipe and 11/1 for today.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
      I’ve BBB any race from before the season so would nice to get a run for my money in anything but wouldn’t expect a return
      Me too. I backed him steadily in the to win any race market so I am delighted he won today and goes to the festival with a chance

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
        Me too. I backed him steadily in the to win any race market so I am delighted he won today and goes to the festival with a chance
        Worry now is what mark he will get. 14L win. If he gets into Martin Pipe he will be a big player definitely come on for good ground and pace. Head gear seemed to work the trick. Was 132 in Ireland for that hopefully Phil Smith can't hike him 13lb where horses obviously disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Folski View Post
          Took 33/1 for Martin Pipe and 11/1 for today.
          Some shout Folski, I couldn’t have brought myself to back him today but the blinkers definitely had him more focused. Impact Factors not traveling over to the festival now so I’ve cashed out and am back in the Blow By blow camp for this race now. Snapped up the 25’s bet365 were slow to cut after the race.

As you said hopefully now he gets a workable mark. Surely the handicapper will take into account Roaring Bulls fall putting a 14 length shine on the win. He should relish the better ground he’ll get at the festival and hopefully start living up to the hype of his bumper form.
          Last edited by SeanRock; 22 February 2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRock View Post
            Some shout Folski, I couldn’t have brought myself to back him today but the blinkers definitely had him more focused. Impact Factors not traveling over to the festival now so I’ve cashed out and am back in the Blow By blow camp for this race now. Snapped up the 25’s bet365 were slow to cut after the race.

As you said hopefully now he gets a workable mark. Surely the handicapper will take into account Roaring Bulls fall putting a 14 length shine on the win. He should relish the better ground he’ll get at the festival and hopefully start living up to the hype of his bumper form.
            Thanks Sean.

I did a lot of study on Elliott and he is very much a creature of habit, he tends to use the same races for well handicapped horses. There was one at Punchestown where he send both Diamond King and Nobel Endeavour before the Coral and Martin Pipe respectively. Sadly the race is gone now. Usually he sends one to the big 3m chase at Leopardstown on the 27th as well, I am assuming this is Squouateur.

You'd also imagine they would have the pick of the conditionals which is a massive bonus.

Comment

Thanks Sean.

I did a lot of study on Elliott and he is very much a creature of habit, he tends to use the same races for well handicapped horses. There was one at Punchestown where he send both Diamond King and Nobel Endeavour before the Coral and Martin Pipe respectively. Sadly the race is gone now. Usually he sends one to the big 3m chase at Leopardstown on the 27th as well, I am assuming this is Squouateur.

You'd also imagine they would have the pick of the conditionals which is a massive bonus.
              Folski - being a relative novice to this myself (especially the Handicap side of things) - is there anything that makes you think he will go here rather than the Coral Cup?

Entered for both and both over the same distance (give or take)

Comment

Worry now is what mark he will get. 14L win. If he gets into Martin Pipe he will be a big player definitely come on for good ground and pace. Head gear seemed to work the trick. Was 132 in Ireland for that hopefully Phil Smith can't hike him 13lb where horses obviously disappointed.
                He would probably have been value for a 4-5 length win giving Roaring Bull (rated 133) 2 pounds - taking into account the ground and the exaggeration of winning distances and the fact that Roaring Bull is both a questionable 133 rating and stayer at 2 1/2 miles, then something in the 138 range would seem fair. A bigger concern for me regarding this race was Elliott's post race comments that only Rachael Blackmore has been able to get a tune out of him; putting a conditional up might not be the way to go and they could look at the Coral if he were to be rated high enough.

Comment

Thanks Sean.

Would Rachel qualify to ride him in the Martin Pipe Folski?

Comment

TBH I thought the reason she was on board today was with an eye on her riding in the Martin Pipe. She appears in the HRI list of this year's top conditionals which would suggest she qualifies?

Comment

• Originally posted by Viking Flagship View Post
                      TBH I thought the reason she was on board today was with an eye on her riding in the Martin Pipe. She appears in the HRI list of this year's top conditionals which would suggest she qualifies?
                      Thats what i was thinking VF, but has she lost her conditional status this year?

Comment

• Originally posted by Leman14 View Post
                        Folski - being a relative novice to this myself (especially the Handicap side of things) - is there anything that makes you think he will go here rather than the Coral Cup?

Entered for both and both over the same distance (give or take)
                        As I mentioned last night Elliott is very much a creature of habit and used this race as a stepping stone for Champagne Classic before winning the Martin Pipe last year. I though Blow By Blow probably needed to win to get into the race today for sure.

As why I think he will go Martin Pipe over Coral Cup, Elliott tends to send his novices to the MP see Champagne Classic, Run For Dave, Squouateur & Jet Stream Jack in recent years. Where as his Coral Cup horses tend to be second season hurdlers and have that bit more experience see Tombstone, Diamond King, Bayan, Tagliatelle.

Elliott makes no secret that he targets this race as he used to work for Martin Pipe. While the owners obviously do as well having won with Sir Des Champs, Don Poli and the aforementioned Champagne Classic.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanRock View Post
                          Would Rachel qualify to ride him in the Martin Pipe Folski?
                          She was giving out last year because she was 27 and too old to as you have to be 26 or younger not sure if this has been changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Folski View Post
                            As I mentioned last night Elliott is very much a creature of habit and used this race as a stepping stone for Champagne Classic before winning the Martin Pipe last year. I though Blow By Blow probably needed to win to get into the race today for sure.

As why I think he will go Martin Pipe over Coral Cup, Elliott tends to send his novices to the MP see Champagne Classic, Run For Dave, Squouateur & Jet Stream Jack in recent years. Where as his Coral Cup horses tend to be second season hurdlers and have that bit more experience see Tombstone, Diamond King, Bayan, Tagliatelle.

Elliott makes no secret that he targets this race as he used to work for Martin Pipe. While the owners obviously do as well having won with Sir Des Champs, Don Poli and the aforementioned Champagne Classic.
                            Thanks Folski - that was the perfectly well-thought-out response I needed!

Comment

• According to this article from last year she's too old. So I guess she's still too old

Nina Carberry, who is taking time out to have a baby, and Katie Walsh may be the first two names that would spring to mind if you were asked to name two Irish female riders but this season, at least, it is Rachael Blackmore who is making the bigger impact.

Comment

• Originally posted by Viking Flagship View Post
                                According to this article from last year she's too old. So I guess she's still too old

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/racing/20...ke-big-impact/
                                And she's no longer a conditional (she is a wonderful rider and riding out at both Mullins and Elliotts will not do her any harm)

Comment

Working...
                                X