Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Close Brothers Novice Handicap Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cashew King View Post
    Henderson confirms Rather Be (Jerry McGrath) & Devine Spear (Nico) for this.
    Interesting. I was hoping the other way around. I really like NdB. In close finishes (under a length, I think), I'm sure I read he has the best win % of any jockey.

Comment

• Attacked this today with a fresh mind....

Kalondra 14/1 - I was at cheltenham when he won and was impressed with the way this travelled how he was produced toward the end of the race, it's exactly what you want to see from a horse - plus he did that at cheltenham.
      He travelled well in the Coral cup, but the winners came from the front which suggests it ended up being a bit of a sprint finish... gave himself too much to do, especially with the ground riding so good!
      Horse wants a gallop, and decent ground - he's defeat against Modus is nothing to be ashamed about, Modus was rated higher than him over hurdles and is currently 8/1 for the JLT. I'm more than happy to scratch off the Grade 1 run at Sandown, he came up against two really good horses and the ground wouldnt be to his suiting.

The other one I like and will take a risk bet on now at 30's (exchanges), is Peregine Run. Another one who prefers better ground and appears to have been kept off the track in search of this. Not sure whether Tuesday's going will be good enough for him, but he did win at Cheltenham, beating Wholestone, on ground that was describe as Good... but that was in November, so can't see why conditions wouldnt be similar in just under two weeks time (cold to mild, ground consider Good/Good to Soft but riding slightly on the dead side). I'll take my chances with this one

Done!

Comment

• Not sure Peregrine Run is an intended runner - pretty much everyone on this site was on him in the coral cup last year - Bayoffreedom’s horse is in the same stable - sure he suggested it won’t be running- but things might have changed!

Comment

• Originally posted by opatcho View Post
          Attacked this today with a fresh mind....

Kalondra 14/1 - I was at cheltenham when he won and was impressed with the way this travelled how he was produced toward the end of the race, it's exactly what you want to see from a horse - plus he did that at cheltenham.
          He travelled well in the Coral cup, but the winners came from the front which suggests it ended up being a bit of a sprint finish... gave himself too much to do, especially with the ground riding so good!
          Horse wants a gallop, and decent ground - he's defeat against Modus is nothing to be ashamed about, Modus was rated higher than him over hurdles and is currently 8/1 for the JLT. I'm more than happy to scratch off the Grade 1 run at Sandown, he came up against two really good horses and the ground wouldnt be to his
          I’d assume Fehily would ride & his update this week on his chances in handicaps would put me off a bit:

“The handicaps were released this week and to be honest they were all so tight. Cheltenham is a tough place and the races are hard to work out especially as a lot of them won’t run. I don’t think I have a stand-out chance in any of the handicaps, so far anyway. I was a lot more interested in the novices to be honest, and graded races.”

Comment

I’d assume Fehily would ride & his update this week on his chances in handicaps would put me off a bit:

“The handicaps were released this week and to be honest they were all so tight. Cheltenham is a tough place and the races are hard to work out especially as a lot of them won’t run. I don’t think I have a stand-out chance in any of the handicaps, so far anyway. I was a lot more interested in the novices to be honest, and graded races.”
            The ground is looking more like an issue but have you heard any jock say they are going to win a handicap? Sometimes a positive if they don't say anything.

Comment

Henderson confirms Rather Be (Jerry McGrath) & Devine Spear (Nico) for this.
              Originally posted by TCH29 View Post
              Interesting. I was hoping the other way around. I really like NdB. In close finishes (under a length, I think), I'm sure I read he has the best win % of any jockey.
              I suppose you can't really read too much in to which of the two they prefer based on that...as Jerry has been on Rather Be most of the time and Nico on Divine Spear... so to switch them would have been odd (or a massive plus for Rather Be).... but I wouldn't be downhearted if I was on either.

Someone did highlight that HEnderson's assistant trainer was keener on Divine Spear though... I think it was on the StarSports youtube preview?

Comment

• No one concerned about rather be’s jumping?!
                Jumped right LTO

Comment

No one concerned about rather be’s jumping?!
                  Jumped right LTO
                  Possible issue, but I'm pretty sure a lot jump right at Fakenham as a lot of the camber goes that way. Never been though so only what I've seen on Telly

Comment

• C&D festival form has been huge in this race in recent years with Tully East & Ballyalton have won after running 4th in the Martin Pipe & 2nd in the Neptune. In addition to this Thomas Crapper & Attaglance both finished 2nd after previously finishing 2nd & 1st in the Martin Pipe.

There are a few horses who have decent festival form over C&D mainly Ibis Du Rheu, Martin Pipe winner but PN confirmed he goes for Ultima. Then you also have Brelade, Keeper Hill (6th & 7th Neptune) and Born Survivor (6th Martin Pipe).

I really like Born Survivor, after claims he was top weight in the Martin Pipe last year and finished 6th beat 6L by Champagne Classic who was in receipt of 5lb and subsequently, won a grade 1 at Punchestown. Bridget Andrew gave him in my opinion a weak ride. Hacked up on his maiden chase win smashing some decent sorts. 2 runs since have been on heavy ground, horse has never looked good on heavy ground. 25/1 NRNB B365.

Comment

• Originally posted by quevega View Post
                      Possible issue, but I'm pretty sure a lot jump right at Fakenham as a lot of the camber goes that way. Never been though so only what I've seen on Telly
                      That’s my issue with this horse.... Fakenham! Who runs here as a prep for the festival
                      Trainer is either

1) protecting him by running him at small tracks
                      2) racing him at he ‘right’ level

You wouldn’t see Might Bite at Feckenham would ya

Comment

That’s my issue with this horse.... Fakenham! Who runs here as a prep for the festival
                        Trainer is either

Obviously number 1. He went there on 143 and could not afford a raise.

Comment

Trainer is either

you're on the wrong track i reckon...
                          100% protecting his mark.
                          So was divine spear getting ridden easily at mussleborough, interesting Nico riding this one as well.
                          Might Bite ran at Fos Las.

Comment

• Can’t jump

Comment

• Devine Spear

On gbracing twitter feed ...

The team @SevenBarrows are blessed with a number of quality young horses. We asked them to choose a potential rising star for the future.

Meet Divine Spear, who has notched up 5 wins so far in his career.

Comment

• For the Peregrine Run fans...

Peter Fahey is anxiously waiting for the weather to dry up so he can make plans for Cheltenham entry Peregrine Run.

Something of a forgotten horse this season, almost 200 days will have elapsed since his last run at Killarney in August.

As he needs good ground it has always been the plan to head straight to Cheltenham, but Fahey is not 100 per cent the ground will dry up in time for the Close Brothers Novices' Handicap Chase contender.

"Everything seems fine with him but we're just waiting on the ground," said F ahey.

"He has to have good ground so we'll make a decision on whether he travels much nearer the time.

"He's in brilliant form and working well but it's just a pity we're going to be sitting and waiting to see what the ground is like and it will be down to that whether he runs or not.

"With the way the weather is at the minute you just don't know, we've got our fingers crossed. On nice ground he'd definitely take his chance.

"He'll run in the handicap. He wouldn't be giving away lots of weight despite being top weight.

"He 's running off his Irish mark which I'm happy about and I'd be very happy to take him if the ground is good.

"Last year in the Coral Cup we rode him a bit too close to the pace so we'll change things a bit but he still wasn't beaten far."

Comment

Working...
                                X